Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:37 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: Wiper Motors
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:22 pm 
Site Admin

Car Model: '63 Dodge Dart GT Convertible
A friend of mine wants to get a few spare wiper motors for his '64 Darts. He has the single speed, two speed and variable speed on different cars. I think the motor for the two speed & variable are the same, but I can't remember. My parts book for '63 shows only the single speed (2421479) & variable (2421478) motors. The '64 parts book shows the single speed (2525270) & variable (2525269) motor. I know there are 3 switches. If you know anything about the motors, please reply.

I am also looking for a place that can rebuild the motors if necessary.

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Wiper Motors
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:52 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
Your friend is on a snipe hunt for parts that don't exist.

For '64 and '65 there were two motors (1-speed, variable-speed) and three switches (1-speed without electric washer, 1-speed with electric washer, variable-speed with electric washer). For '66 there was only one motor (variable-speed) and one switch (variable-speed with electric washer). '63 motors are one-year-only, and '60-'62 motors don't fit later cars. '64-'66 motors are interchangeable as a type; changing between single and variable speed requires motor, switch, and a fairly complex Dagwood sandwich of parts that go between the motor crank arm and the wiper link. Electrically the switches are interchangeable '62-'66 as a type (single/single or variable/variable) but there are physical differences: '64 has a central spindle that passes through the main switch shaft to actuate a separate electric washer switch piggybacked onto the wiper switch ('64 knobs have a central hole and a black plastic pushbutton at the driver end of that spindle); for '65 the washer switch was integrated into the wiper switch, and the driver pushes the entire knob to squirt the windshield. Also there are size differences in terms of shank length and configuration to work with the various dashboards.

There were no 1-speed wipers offered after '65, and no 2-speed wipers offered before '67. The offer from '67-'71 was 2-speed or variable-speed; for '72 it became 2-speed or 3-speed (3-speed with same motor as variable-speed, but cheaper switch with 3 fixed resistors instead of a variable resistance).

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:28 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks Dan. I thought I saw a two speed on an earlier model, but my memory is not as good as it was way back then.

I do have a variable speed with the washer button in my '63 Dart GT Convertible that I installed many years ago. I seem to remember that it was a simple upgrade. I changed out the motor & switch and installed a short extra wiring harness. I have the same setup on the '63 GT that I got from my dad, but I don't remember it I installed it.

After talking to my friend again, I think his '64 Dart wagon has a single speed motor with a variable switch or the second set of wires on the motor are disconnected so that it only operates at one speed. The car is about 3 hours away from me, so I can't check it out myself.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:01 pm 

Car Model:
Well, if "Off" counts as a speed, yeah, basic equipment was a 2-speed setup :lol: ("off" doesn't count as a speed).

The linkage difference is that the 1-speed motor parks in a simple manner (turn the switch off, the motor runs til the blades reach the bottom of their sweep and then stops) while the variable-speed motor parks in a complicated manner: turn the switch off and the motor reverses direction, thus allowing a cam in the linkage to rotate and effectively shorten the linkage and pulling the blades down to a lower park position than is possible with the single-speed setup. If you put a variable-speed motor with the simple single-speed linkage connection, your wipers can randomly sometimes park in the middle of the glass.

See this thread and (especially much) this link.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:13 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks. Mine work by reversing the direction, so I guess I have the correct parts. At some point I'll find out what is in the '64 wagon.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:55 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 64 Plymouth Valiant
My 64 Valiant has a variable speed wiper, but no washer............ (pull, twist for speed)

I added my own washer with a separate pushbutton under the dash.

8)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:24 am 

Car Model:
emsvitil wrote:
My 64 Valiant has a variable speed wiper, but no washer............ (pull, twist for speed)

There are no factory wiper switches that involve pulling; the variable-speed switch is turned all the way counterclockwise for off; sounds like something's been hacked on your car.

(a factory variable-speed switch without washer provisions could have come from a '63, but still no pulling involved)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:00 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 64 Plymouth Valiant
Ok, I'm out of town. Pulling would be the heater........

But the twisting is correct.

It's a 64, first bought in Dec 63. Nothing was hacked. It was my grandfathers car.

8)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:49 pm 

Car Model:
There was a variable-speed Dart wiper switch without washer provisions in '63 ('64 was first year for availability of electric washer rather than foot-squeeze rubber bulb on the floorpan above the headlight beam kickswitch). Pretty good odds some of those switches went on some '64 Darts, especially earlier-production ones.