Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:20 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: VR128 - What else?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:19 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model: 1968 Barracuda - Fastback
Having just rebuilt my round-back alternator, I've added the VR128 voltage regulator to my '68 Barracuda in *hopes* of increasing its reliability.
What else more could I do to bolster the dependability of the charging & ignition system - short of carrying a spare ballast?

Thanks in advance for your input!
-Chris

Post subject: Re: VR128 - What else?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:58 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
Quote:
What else more could I do to bolster the dependability of the charging & ignition system - short of carrying a spare ballast?

Change to a 1970+ alternator, modify wiring to use the solid state EVR, and rewire ignition system for HEI and eliminate the ballast resistor and points/petronix/etc...).

This would be more desired since SMP's quality control has been in question over the last few years, if you didn't want to go the full EVR/HEI route, you would also want to carry
a spare VR-128 along with the ballast resistor...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:42 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model: 1968 Barracuda - Fastback
Rob, isn't the VR128 solid-state? I'm under the impression that it is according to a SSD article.

Regarding the rest, I want to stick with the original round-back, looking for ways to make it work. If I weren't however, I do all that you said.

TY, hope you are well...
-C

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:34 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
Quote:
Rob, isn't the VR128 solid-state

Yes, but SMP in the last few years has been junk... all of my Plymouths are still running OEM VR's and older OEM EI modules without an issue... and these are running the later dual field
units which are faster to react to changes in the charging circuit over the single field controlled unit and the alternator body grounded field on the other prong....

I ran my '67 Beater Valiant with the buzzbox for a while, then went with the solid state buzzbox replacement which didn't last long (and I watched others locally go through a few of these before they raided my stash of OEM modules and wiring and made the switch to their Darts)...once the solid state single field unit became finicky, when I replaced the whole smash with the later EVR and square back alt, and mopar EI I didn't have to goof with the charging circuit or distributor/timing after that...

You asked what else... given the fact our parts are outsourced to an Asian Theater corporation and rebranded and sent back here (soon to be marked up 300% due to tariffs...), I would squirrel some spares away...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:03 am 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
Read: http://www.imperialclub.com/Repair/Elec ... arging.htm