Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:37 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:26 pm 
1 BBL (New)

Car Model: 1955 Dodge Truck C3
I just purchased a 55 Dodge truck that had a slant six put in two owners ago. I think the engine is between a 68-75 225. Based on what little i know about the truck so far i think it was originally was 6 volt and is now 12 volt.
The previous owner said it woulnt go above 45mph. I haven’t been able to test that claim yet.

The truck starts great. Idles well, and has power up to 40mph pretty smoothly. It is not a rocket by any strech.

My brother in law seems to think it could be electrical in nature that is robing the truck of power.

Is there a typical wiring diagram for this engine?

Tracing wires one goes from the alenator to a black box that i think is a regulator then comes out the other side to a resistor on the firewall and splits off and goes into the cab. Other side of resistor goes to the coil.

He thinks the coil is getting only half of the voltage it should, and that we should remove the resistor.
Can he be right?
Ill post a couple of pictures shortly.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:54 pm 
1 BBL (New)

Car Model: 1955 Dodge Truck C3
Altenator

Ballast resistor

Regulator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:00 am 
Supercharged

Car Model: Fiat 500e
If the ignition coil is marked as needing a resistor then the resistor needs to be there. Without the resistor you'll burn through points quickly or overheat and fail the ignition box, if it has electronic ignition. None of that has any bearing on the charging system.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:30 am 
Supercharged

Car Model:
I had this same problem, electric choke wired in parallel with coil. Disconnect choke wire from choke while engine is running and see how it responds. I my case idle was bad, and as some as choke was unplugged engine ran a lot better. Choke has large resistance which changes voltage coil sees due to parallel path. If your choke is currently feed from low voltage side of ballast resistor which steps down voltage to around 5 or 6 volts. 5 volts split running through parallel resistances drops voltage coil sees.

The fix was to trigger a relay using that same choke feed and have that relay supply power from battery or alternator to choke. Nerd aleart!! Voltage can be measured at choke, coil, and ballast resistor.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:17 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
We had a 1955 "Job Rated" 1/2 ton pickup when I was very young, and it was one of the first vehicles I drove. It had originally been a three on the tree and was converted to a floor shift 3-speed. You had to hold it in second or it would pop into neutral. This was the vehicle in which I learned how to drive a stick, at the tender age of nine.

If yours is like ours was, it was originally equipped with a 230 c.i. flathead six, with a six volt charging system.

I liked the flathead. It had a lot of power at low speeds and, at nine years old, it was best that I drove the pokey little puppy. :D It must be interesting to drive one with a slant under the hood. There aren't a lot of those mid-50s Dodge trucks left and, because I identified with one at an early age, they have a special place in my heart. Best of luck with yours!