Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:56 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:58 am 
1 BBL (New)

Car Model: A108
Hey there, im a new owner of a 69 a108 with a /6 and 3spd. have had a few 70s b vans in the past, all with 318's though. looks as if one of the last owners had put alotta work into the engine on the new 69 though, with headers, 2 barrel, and upgraded ignition. and since this has been my first six, this has been a great resource on getting everything tuned and dialed in so far for it that wasn't in the book. so first off to all of you, thanks for all the good info!

So now with the drive train, suspension, steering and brake systems all up to par. Im about to jump into the electrical system but had 2 questions. aside from some strange connections and repairs that tend to collect on 50 year old vehicles, everything is pretty decent aside from these 2 issues. 1)brake light switch 2)my rear passenger brake light/turnsignal.

1) this one is relatively easy, there isn't one currently on the vehicle!haha … someone at some point rigged a toggle to turn the brake lights on and off(which I despise!) and while doing the brakes I have not found any spot that would have had a hydraulic switch. and for the life of me, i have not found a lot of info on the proper mechanical switch or where it would be located from the factory on the van. Was curious if anyone had info on these issues?

2) has been a bit more of a head scratcher for me. both rear running lights work great. driver side blinkers, both work great. but brake lights, only the driver side functions. for the passenger side blinkers, only the front works. so that just leaves an issue with the passenger side rear light. my first thought, is to go through all the connections on that light. my next weekend to work on the van, that's where im going first. what makes me question that being the issue though, is that both of these functions do run through the turn signal switch. I have never torn into one of those before, so im curious if its rebuildable to where I could just secure the connection going to that light? or if I need to just toss it out and find a new one in its place?

any thoughts on these would appreciated, and thanks again to everyone that's provided info before on here to help me get this a108 up to where she is now!*

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:47 am 
Supercharged

Car Model: Fiat 500e
If you break out your wiring diagram you'll see that the brake light power goes through the turn signal switch. As neither the right hand brake light or turn signal function (but the left does) I would start at the turn signal switch.

I don't know what type of brake light switch your van would have had. If you had to you could probably fit something like this: https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speedway ... y=91031306

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:58 am 
Board Sponsor

Car Model: 1984 D100 Shorty Custom
Do both brake lights come on when you flip the toggle to the ON position?

Sounds like whoever hooked it up put power to the switch and then direct to the rear passenger bulb. This would result in no blinking from the turn signal switch.

I agree with Josh, I would start at the turn signal switch. I'd hedge a bet that your issue is between the turn signal switch and this toggle.

Is there a tab with a round hole near the fulcrum of the brake pedal where you might mount a momentary contact switch? Seems like it should have a fairly standard switch from the MoPar parts bin.

~THOR~

Part of Tyrde-Browne Racing