Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:53 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 8:54 am 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
Dart270 wrote:
Why do you need 4 headlamps for the 5.75"X4 system if the JWs will do high/low beam in one lamp?

You don't, but 4 lamps give twice the output of 2 lamps, and the car's gonna be funny-lookin' with just two lamps. Can certainly understand not wanting to spend for four LED headlamps, though. Why not two LEDs for high/low and halogens for high beam?

Quote:
I see in the JW spec sheet for the 8631's that the lumen output is about 15-20% lower than the 8700 J2 7" lamps, but I would guess that is still enough??

There is practically no such thing as enough light. Most drivers don't have anywhere near adequate lighting at night, which is why so many pedestrians die.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 9:56 am 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model:
Great. Thanks very much for the perspective, Dan. Will consider options, and I'm probably 6-18 mo from upgrading these on the 62.

Lou

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 11:29 am 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model: Road Runner
Dart270 wrote:
Great to know about the shallower lamps. I do not see prices online for those yet, but will look into them when I get to reassembling the 64 Dart.

I bought the 8700 J2 and had to cut quite a bit of the bucket out. I just finished installing one this morning on Project V (66 Valiant with 63-65 Dart nose) with new adjuster hardware from Vans Auto and that works fine.

Why do you need 4 headlamps for the 5.75"X4 system if the JWs will do high/low beam in one lamp? I was just going to run a pair in the outer position and omit the inner pair. I assume that provides sufficient light, and then I can just put aluminum plates or something over the inner buckets. I see in the JW spec sheet for the 8631's that the lumen output is about 15-20% lower than the 8700 J2 7" lamps, but I would guess that is still enough??

Thanks again,

Lou

I think the biggest "loss" to me would be the look. For a typical classic street car, a standard bulb has a proper look. These lights look far from stock and would be a huge distraction IMO, and then the removal of the inner lights would just compound the situation. My car has enough modernization that I may be able to get away with it on my Road Runner, but my 62 would probably look funky.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 3:50 pm 

Car Model:
Dart270 wrote:
Great. Thanks very much for the perspective, Dan. Will consider options, and I'm probably 6-18 mo from upgrading these on the 62.

Ping me when you're ready; I've got my eye on what might be another good option in LED 5.75" rounds.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 5:32 pm 

Car Model:
Thanks again. Those JW Speaker 5.75s are quite deep, so I bet there would be some creative engineering to get them into the stock buckets. 7" ones (8700 J2) were not too bad. If you have a line on another (more shallow but great light) 5.75 lamp, I'm all ears.

After toasting the front end of my 64 Dart at dusk in the middle of WY 2yrs ago (antelope), I am ready to upgrade every car to awesome headlights. It is a lot of work to fix one of these things properly...

Lou

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 10:06 pm 

Car Model:
Well, you got that right. Expensive headlamps are cheap compared to body parts (car or human).

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 4:57 am 

Car Model:
Absolutely. Just because you can buy a part that will fit your car for almost nothing doesn't mean it is time to buy it and not save up for a really great part.

Lou

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 6:06 am 
Board Sponsor

Car Model: '23 T-bucket
SlantSixDan wrote:
Most drivers don't have anywhere near adequate lighting at night, which is why so many pedestrians die.

Now, Dan.......let's give credit where credit is due. Many pedestrians die simply because they are humans. They are stupid, or drunk, or distracted, or have an attitude that "pedestrians have the right-of-way" no matter what, and out they go into traffic.
(IMO), in general, humans are stupid. There are plenty of exceptions, but.......

For the record, I can agree with plenty of what you did post, though.

Roger

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 6:20 am 

Car Model:
I am a dedicated pedestrian, averaging 45 miles per week in a medium-sized town. Even if I obey all the rules and use my legal rights of way, if I were not carefully paying attention to the inattentive drivers then I would be dead. Many drivers are not looking at peds as they go through crosswalks or make turns. This is worse at night, and I'm sure lighting/vision has something to do with not seeing pedestrians as people make their way in their huge lethal machines. Also, the number of people I see handling electronic devices and looking down or being distracted is, um, yikes...

If better lighting gives a little edge to drivers to help save pedestrians, their cars, and other cars/drivers, I am all for it.

Obviously this is a very complex problem. I would say also that the danger of walking along many (most?) roads/streets in the US is probably one reason why many people do not walk.

Lou

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 12:52 pm 

Car Model:
GTS225 wrote:
Now, Dan.......let's give credit where credit is due. Many pedestrians die simply because they are humans. They are stupid, or drunk, or distracted, or have an attitude that "pedestrians have the right-of-way" no matter what, and out they go into traffic.
(IMO), in general, humans are stupid.

Now, Roger…………………………………we don't have the death penalty for drunkenness, distraction, stupidity, or jaywalking. C'mon, let's be human beings, eh?

Quote:
For the record, I can agree with plenty of what you did post, though.

Whew, that's a relief! :lol:

(I spend my days with my nose in traffic-safety data. Why pedestrians die is not a matter of guessing or philosophy or opinion or pet theory. Most of them—sober or drunk, distracted or attentive, stupid or smart, jaywalking or in the crosswalk—die because drivers can't see them in time.)

Last edited by SlantSixDan on Wed May 06, 2020 5:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 12:53 pm 

Car Model:
Dart270 wrote:
Even if I obey all the rules and use my legal rights of way, if I were not carefully paying attention to the inattentive drivers then I would be dead. Many drivers are not looking at peds as they go through crosswalks or make turns. This is worse at night, and I'm sure lighting/vision has something to do with not seeing pedestrians as people make their way in their huge lethal machines. Also, the number of people I see handling electronic devices and looking down or being distracted is, um, yikes...

If better lighting gives a little edge to drivers to help save pedestrians, their cars, and other cars/drivers, I am all for it.

Obviously this is a very complex problem. I would say also that the danger of walking along many (most?) roads/streets in the US is probably one reason why many people do not walk.

Correct on all points—and none of this is a matter of guess or opinion, either.