Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Mon May 06, 2024 5:01 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: stickshift spool
PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:36 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
i have no idea how my car is going to react with the setup i conjured up but that doesnt keep me from wondering. is there any way to spool and build boost off the line in a stickshift car? my thought was to stage at say 4000 rpm , as the tree drops keep the rpm there and turn the ignition off to pump fuel into the exhaust and right before im about ot leave turn the key back on to light that fuel then dump the clutch. i have read a couple books recommended by people on this forum and in one of them i talked about factory race teams putting a fuel injector in the hot side of the turbo to help with spooling. im not going to setup an extra fuel system to do this. so i was wondering if anyone would think that this would work? or maybe even try it for me.

Post subject: How fast?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:19 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
Quote:
my thought was to stage at say 4000 rpm , as the tree drops keep the rpm there and turn the ignition off to pump fuel into the exhaust and right before im about ot leave turn the key back on to light that fuel then dump the clutch.

With the lights being .5 seconds each, you stage and maybe have a couple seconds if the opponent is a slow stager...so you have 5 seconds to do your dance and leave (you might have more if you stage against a stock slant six, but against other brands and V-8's you may not be able to do this on a regular basis). I jockey the clutch to roll me up to the beams and just have enough time to put the clock from 2000 rpm to 6000 rpm on the Hpak duster and leave/dump the clutch about the time the 6k mark is hit. If your car doesn't light back up after cutting the ignition...

-D.Idiot

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:10 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: Fiat 500e
What you want is a 2-step rev limiter so that when the clutch is released (pedal down) you engage the low RPM step (requires a clutch switch). You then floor the throttle. The turbo will spool up and you'll get boost, but no more RPM. When the clutch engages you return to full RPM as you launch. You will want excellent engine mounts, u-joints, etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:10 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
DI, it not firing back up is a concern. dont really know if it would work or not. my exhaust before the turbo isnt going to be that big so it may not even store enough fuel to do what i want to and may just back fire. i havnt had trouble staging as i make it a point to be the first there. i hate waiting on people at the track so i try to offer the courtesy i would like.

Joshua Skinner, has that setup been covered here on the site? with everything i do being a budget build im pretty sure by the sound of it that its out of my league.

i dont know why i bother with speculation. i just need to get the car together and see what it does.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:41 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
I plan on doing a 2step setup sometime but I have traction issues already to sort out just launching the car the traditional way whether it makes boost at the light or not lol

Kev

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:38 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
1974duster kev wrote:
I plan on doing a 2step setup sometime but I have traction issues already to sort out just launching the car the traditional way whether it makes boost at the light or not lol

Kev

have you found anything you can do driving wise that gets the turbo to spool faster off the line. im not talking about changing the setup just how you use it.

i used to have a turbocoupe the only way i could get it to come off the line with minimal lag was to spin the tires. by the time the tires caught i was moving and the boost was coming on. a normal launch would leave me waiting for the turbo to come in. my valiant doesnt have half the clutch that thunderbird did so i dont think im going to be able to use that method let alone consistently. im just trying to see how everyone else does it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:28 am 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
Uhhhh well I don't feel any boost lag when I launch as far I can tell but I am having traction issues so I haven't been able to dead hook yet so that may be why. My pte6262 comes on very fast I make full 10psi in 1st gear pretty much as soon as I stomp it.

Kev

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:17 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
nice. i cant wait to have traction problems.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:40 am 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4yKVARba-I

I have a 2-step on my civic, it's all motor but it's there for the launch. It's set at 8000 right now, so once I get slicks on it I'll try it out. If I launch at 3000 I just spin forever so with street tires I'd have nothing left.