Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:48 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: Fuel pump questions?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:47 pm 
Board Sponsor & SL6 Racer

Car Model: 65 Valiant 2Dr Post
I have a high performance slant 6 as you all know. I have a 11.5 CR, .570 lift, 3- 2 barrel Webers, and routinely turn 62-6400 rpm. My Question is this. I'd like to return to a mechanical fuel pump, solely because my current electric pump is way to noisy to run on the street. I have a high volume, low pressure, Carter pump that was recommended by many for use with the Webers. It has worked flawlessly, but is a bit loud. I do have a pressure regulator which I will probably keep in line set at 3 1/4#.

So do I need to modify a big block pump to get the volume/pressure I need or is there any off the shelf pumps that may work. All the new pumps I have installed in the last 10 years have been absolute tin foil junk. Not interested in one of those. My thinking is if I can get a pump to push 5-7# then I can cut it to my needed
3 1/4#. I know pressure drops with rpm, or so I've read, so I need to maintain at least 4-5# at 6400 rpm.

Any thoughts appreciated. Not a huge rush since I won't make changes until after this race season is over. Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Fuel pump questions?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:09 pm 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Car Model:
How about one of those "bolt together" Carter style big block pumps. I think you could probably swap out the lever arm to the slant six arm.

64 Valiant Signet
64 Valiant 4dr 170

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:20 am 
Supercharged

Car Model: 80 volare, 78 fury 2 dr, 85 D150
Occasionally one like you described comes up on eBay.
The last /6 I got, came with a bolt together mechanical pump. I wish I still had it, id send it your way. That was a '64 engine.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:12 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
Recipe:

One Carter M2996s fuel pump. Original equipment on all 1960-'63 Slant-6 engines (part № 2084 859 or 2279 914); this is the bolt-together style of pump. It doesn't have to be new, but it has to be the original Carter pump; that is this kind. The pump must look exactly like the linked one, or it will not work.

One Carter M6903 fuel pump, a current-production high-volume item for Mopar big blocks. That's this one.

One new diaphragm-and-spring assembly with the dimensions appropriate for the M6903 pump, but with a three-to-five pound spring rather than the nine-to-ten pound spring originally found in the M6903 pump. This can be had by specific request from these people.

Disassemble both pumps—no need to remove the valves from the valve body, nor to separate the air dome from the valve body. Reassemble the M6903 pump using the custom diaphragm/spring assembly and the lever arm from the M2996 pump. Use the pivot pin from the M6903 pump.

Voilà: a (very) high volume Slant-6 mechanical fuel pump.

Last edited by SlantSixDan on Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:39 pm 
Board Sponsor & SL6 Racer

Car Model: 65 Valiant 2Dr Post
Thanks for the run down Dan. Since I got time I guess I'll start gathering parts for the winter time project! :D :D Thanks again.