Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:06 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 1777 posts ]  Go to page Previous 170 71 72 73 74119 Next
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:31 am 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
I think Lou has a point, with what you have in your car it should be capable of going quite a bit faster. Think of cars like Rodney's Lancer, Norm's ex Ron Parker Dart, or Team Green's 62 Valiant. They are all capable of running 12s with nothing more than you already have. In fact your engine isn't that much different than Guzzi' or Mike Jeffrey's. I could never make a 4 barrel set up work very good and so when I went to the Webers the car did run much better, and I never looked back, but I never had as much power as Guzzi or Mike Jeffrey make with a single Holley. If you play around with a computer dyno program you will see that even 45MM webers are somewhat restrictive on a slant. I am a big believer in real 8" converters and Holley Carburetors. I know some have run real good with other equipment, but to my way of thinking those two are basic if you want to go fast. Ask Dennis what he thinks about Carters.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:33 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
What is your 60' time?
I think you might have too much gear in the car. Put some 4.30's in before you get rid of the Carter.

Mark

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:14 am 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model: 68 Valiant
Team Green wrote:
What is your 60' time?
I think you might have too much gear in the car. Put some 4.30's in before you get rid of the Carter.

Mark

I told him a long time ago it would not like 4.56's Mark. :oops: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:36 pm 
Board Sponsor & SL6 Racer

Car Model: 65 Valiant 2Dr Post
Yep Dennis told me that! I only have 4.56's and 3.91's so I could try them. I will look at my 60's and post back. I think they are in the 1.82-1.84 range

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:18 pm 

I checked my 60 ft times from Wilkesboro and I had them from 1.81-1.85 with most in the 1.82-3 range.

I know I am giving up some in my convertor and transmission. I have just a stock 904 with a shift kit and my 3200 convertor. I am not willing to spend a $800-1000 on a convertor and another how ever much on a good rebuild. Not because I am a tight wad, but because I want to install my 4 speed in the car before I die or before I can't move my shoulder to shift! :D I'd rather put that money into the parts I need for the manual swap.

So I will make the best of what I have to work with for now. I can swap in the 3.91's to try and I have the Webers also to try. Thanks for the help guys.

PS, Anyone have a set of 4.30's for a 742 case for sale? Yes for cheap! I mean frugal!! :D

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:42 pm 

Car Model: 68 Valiant
You're probably not really giving up much with your trans/converter Rick. :D

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:16 am 

Ok, good to know.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:46 pm 

Time for an update.

For the last few months the Valiant has been parked in the attached garage awaiting its turn to go to the detached garage where all of the real work takes place. Wife and I have been remodeling 3 rooms and now that that project is coming to a close I took my truck out of the garage and drove the Valiant up there. I still have Ryan's race car in the garage also so the truck gets to set out in the cold for a while! :D
I had planned to put the Weber carbs on the car before racing season started but I have changed my mind . I plan to do some other upgrades first and see what the car does. Then I can add the carbs later. I have to modify a set of headers and install a smaller master cylinder, so the Webers will be a little more than a bolt on deal.

Dennis told me the 4.56's would probably be to much gear for the car and with the short (26" Nitto's) it probably makes it even worse. So for now I am going to install my 3.91 spool and see if the car likes them. I also picked up a cone type sure grip ( worn out) from Howard Davis that I plan to rob the spider gears out of. I bought a 4.30 pumpkin from Ryan that has the spider gears torn up it. I will put the spiders from the Howard Davis posi over into the one I got from Ryan and then I will have 4.30's to try as well.

I have the car jacked up and I pulled the leaf springs off and installed all new Poly bushings in everything. Pulled them all apart and cleaned and painted them. I also added a 5th leaf that comes up to the front eye to strengthen the front half of the spring. While the cars jacked up, I'll swap the rear end and also install the green bearings that I have laying on the shelf. This way I can see what the suspension and gear change does before I change the carburetion. It will be nice to see back to back runs with the changes. Last but not least are the new tire. M/T ET street R's. They should do just fine and they allow me to run in the Street nite races if I want to since they are a DOT tire.https://www.summitracing.com/search/tir ... Street%20R

Rick
Attachment:
IMG_4561.JPG
IMG_4561.JPG [ 65.09 KiB | Viewed 5271 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_4562.JPG
IMG_4562.JPG [ 55.3 KiB | Viewed 5271 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_4568.JPG
IMG_4568.JPG [ 73.49 KiB | Viewed 5271 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:52 am 

Car Model:
Cool progress, Rick! I agree to try a few other things before the Webers. You just got that throttle linkage fixed, right, so it'll be good to get some use out of it!

Lou

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:59 pm 

Leaf springs are all back under the car and I plan to get the 3.91 spool back in place with the new green bearings over the weekend.

Also picked up 3 vintage "old" distributor caps with the wide terminals inside. They are Borg/ Warner boxed in 1967. Hopefully the old tooling has better quality control than some of the new stuff.

New M/T tires arrived and I had them installed. One took just an oz. of weight to balance, the other almost 4 1/2 oz. !! Almost 9" of weights hanging on there made me a little leary. So I called Summit and they never even hesitated. Within 5 minutes, I had a new tire being sent by Fed Ex and the old tire being picked up by UPS from my front porch. 2 days later the tire was on my porch in place of the bad one! That is good customer service. :D :D

Rick

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:54 am 
Turbo EFI

Car Model: 1963 Dart 270, 1980 D150
That's great info on Summit. Good to know.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:14 am 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
When I bought the slicks that are on Ryan's car, one of them measured 3/4" greater in circumference than the other, the measurement was even written in chalk on the tires. I call Summit to try to get a pair nearer the same and they said that that was an acceptable variance. I asked them if John Force would use them, no comment. It's really only a problem when the front wheels come off the ground, then it definitely pulls in one direction, I can't remember which.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:17 am 
Turbo EFI

Car Model: 1963 Dart 270, 1980 D150
Exner Geek wrote:
When I bought the slicks that are on Ryan's car, one of them measured 3/4" greater in circumference than the other, the measurement was even written in chalk on the tires. I call Summit to try to get a pair nearer the same and they said that that was an acceptable variance. I asked them if John Force would use them, no comment. It's really only a problem when the front wheels come off the ground, then it definitely pulls in one direction, I can't remember which.

Tires can be stretched. When I dirt tracked you wanted some stagger in the rear tires, or roll-out, with the outside (right rear) tire being of larger circumference than the left tire to help the car turn. You know, lay a Styrofoam cup on it side and give it a push, rolls in a circle. Sometimes just small adjustments in air pressure would do the trick and picking the smallest and largest tire you had for those two positions but sometimes you had to air up that right rear to 60psi or so and leave it out in the sun for the day to get the desired circumference. I am sure one of the rears could be stretched to match the other side. my 2 cents.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:48 pm 

Replacement M/T tire arrived and was mounted. However it was a very disappointing moment when the tire guy spun the tire and it needed 13.5 oz! That is 3 times worse than the one I just returned!!!! :( So I called Summit back and explained the situation, and they agreed without any hesitation to send me a 3rd tire. They said they would send this one from their GA warehouse instead of the Ohio to see if they could get a different batch of tires, and hopefully get a good one. It arrived today and I had it mounted and it only took 3/4 oz to balance it. :D
Woe! that was a lot harder and a lot more work than it should have been to get 2 good tires. Absolutely wonderful service from Summit. But M/T better get their tire issue worked out quickly or they will loose customers. They cost $60/each more than the Nittos I replaced and should be a good tire for that kind of money. I am sure someone lost money on my purchase, because they had to pay for shipping 5 tires instead of 2. I am pretty sure Summit will talk to M/T about it because you know I'm not the only one having this issue.

On another note, the green axle bearings are installed on my axles and the 4.56 pumpkin will come out in the morning to be replaced with my 3.91"s. Then my car should be almost ready for Mason Dixon. Woo Hooo! :D :D

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:00 pm 

The weather looks Ok so I will be heading to Mason Dixon Dragway on Sunday to make a couple T&T runs. Will be there about 12:30 or 1:00. Anyone want to come along? You are welcome to! :D :D

Rick

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 1777 posts ]  Go to page Previous 170 71 72 73 74119 Next