Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:03 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 310 posts ]  Go to page Previous 18 9 10 11 1221 Next
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:09 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
No, didn't get either of the cars done. Just me and the "pit crew".

But the big Dodge Ram keeps on rolling. Rolled past Halsley this morning around 10am. Honked and waved, but I don't think CJ and Linda heard us. We did see a large white antenna, new stuff for the HAM kit? Spending the night in Yreaka Ca, Reno tomorrow.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:01 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
Rolled into Sparks this afternoon. The Dodge is getting 15.5mpg. Not bad for what is basically a 3/4 ton crew cab. I am really getting annoyed with the kickdown and OD. I shouldn't have to floor it to pass semis on 2 lane roads. Vegas tomorrow.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:19 am 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
Made it to Vegas last night. We'll be heading to the track later to pick up our bands.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:04 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
Spent a few hours at the track. Only 2 slant cars are present. Over all attendence seems to be down this year.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 8:47 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
After a disappointing trip to Vegas, I find out that they are stopping drag racing at the Monroe Speedway. Bummer, on the other hand I am going to be a grandpa again. So everything evens out.

I just about have the tail lights mounted on the '68 Demon. Some more fiddling around the they should be good to go.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 2:10 am 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model:
Sorry to hear about your trip and your home track, but congrats on the new grandchild.

All the best,
Lou

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:49 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
I haven't done much with the cars in the past few months. I did spend a couple of weekends futzzing with the tail lights on the Duster. Nothing like aftermarket sheetmetal and bent up tail light brackets. You get everything lined up, and then you tighten up the bolts and it is off by 1/8", or the tail light gaskets don't seal, or ...

Anyway, I spent the day bending fuel line for the Dart. Just need another 5' of 3/8 steel line and the chassis is done. It would have been cheaper to order a 20' roll from Summit, then 5' lengths from NAPA.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:17 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
I spent the weekend welding up holes in the engine compartment of the Dart. I bite the bullet and welded up the bulkhead connector hole. Now I will decide on wither to splice the old harness together or buy a wiring harness kit. They all seem over priced for what you get, especially Mopar specific ones. If I get a kit, should I get new switches or use the OEM ones, Hmmm, the single speed wiper switch is about kaput. I get really nervous going out of town when it may rain. Which around here, is about the end of September to the 4th of July.

I don't know when I will get back to the cars. The day job has me doing system updates and application updates fairly steadily until the end of October. A lot of weekends in the office for a while.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:38 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
Today there was this strange orange ball in the sky and the temperature rose to a balmy 59*. For some reason this motivated me to do something on the cars, any one of them.

So I headed out to the shed and replaced the broken dampner on the mockup block with a good one. This newer dampner is 3/16" taller. This offsets everything and now I need to realign the other pulleys. Also it appeas that the timing mark may be off, the trigger wheel is now one tooth off from the sensor.

So for just the hell of it, I pulled out a steel flex fan from late a '70s F-Body with A/C and mounted it up. It actually clears the pulleys. About 1/16" clearance. Amazing, but I have no idea if it will clear the radiator when the engine is back in the car.

Still 6 months behind on a 6 month project... But plugging away again.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:28 pm 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model: 68 Valiant
"6 months behind on a 6 month project"
Been there, done that. I think my Daytona is in year 10 of a 6 month project. :P

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:32 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model: 1965 Plymouth Belvedere I
I don't feel quite so bad now. I am 3+ years into a project that was running and driving to begin with.
-Matt

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:06 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
Only 3 years... I started planning my EFI upgrade 16 years ago. The original plan was megasquirt for fuel, megajolt for EDIS controlled ignition. My how time flies...

Any how, I spent some quality time out in the shed today. As mentioned previously. The dampner that I used to mock the pulley system up with, has a crack. So it was replaced with a newer dampner. This dampner is offset about 3/16". This throws off the alignment. So what to do.

The original setp was, pulley, trigger wheel, then dampner. So I removed the trigger wheel from the stack. Viola, the bottom pulley now aligns with the water pump pulley. Cool, now what about the trigger wheel. With some thought, I remembered a web site down in Australia. They had mounted the trigger wheel to the back of the dampner.

So a little googling and I find the site again. Hmm, he has a metal lathe, hmm, makes a bigger hole and slides the wheel over the hub, hmm, makes a fancy spacer to mount the wheel, hmm, uses a mill to drill holes. Hmmm, I don't have any of that equipment at my disposal. Sigh.

So what to do. Well, the wheel is already drilled for the dampner, I have some all-thread. So I thread the all-thread into the dampner. Drop the wheel onto the back of the dampner, using the all-thread as a guide. Since I have one of the slotted wheels it is fairly easy to mark the wheel where it contacts the dampner. 20 minutes with a cutoff wheel and the trigger wheel slides over the hub. A trip to the hardware store and I have some 1/2" spacers and 3 grade 5 bolts. A little time at the grinding wheel and the spacers are at the correct length. Bolt it all together and I now have the trigger wheel mounted to the back of the dampner.

Now to mount it up on the crank. Hmm, It hits the timing tab. This timing cover has the tab welded on. So, bend it up and out of the way. Once the dampner is mounted, I bent the tab down. Then l line up the dampner to the TDC marker on the tab. Oh, the VR sensor is off by one tooth. It is now 7 teeth "ahead" of the missing tooth. It was 6 teeth.

So time to tear the mockup down to the bare block. Install a piston, and use my TDC finder to find true TDC. Reinstalled the dampner and the accessory plate and the VR is aligned to tooth #6. Good, now install the timing cover, and it is 10* off. Wow did this ship from the factory like this. Wow, just wow.

Any how, so the pulleys are now lined up this way. The bottom is pulley, dampner and trigger wheel. The water pump is pulley, 1/4" spacer and then pump. This is a perfect alignment, almost like it came from the factory this way.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:54 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
3 day weekends are nice. Spent some more time in the shed. This time working on the timing cover.

I drilled out the spot welds on the timing tab and moved it over to line up with the TDC mark on the dampner. Welded it back on and fixed the above problem. Now everything agrees to what is TDC.

The next step is to install a cam stop. This is basically a nut welded to the timing cover, with a bolt going thru to minimise cam motion. The suggested bolt is a adjuster for the rocker arms. In order to weld the nut on you need to find the center of the cam bolt. I do this by using the "center punch" method. This is a 7/16" bolt cut down to 2 1/4" with a point on the end. Install the cam, screw the "center punch" into the cam. Adjust the punch so it barely touches the timing cover. Smack the cover with a hammer. You now have the center of the cam bolt. Drill hole, weld on nut.

On final assembly remember to use thread sealer on the adjustment bolt and smooth the end of the cam bolt. And that finishes off the timing cover.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:15 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
Since the local new stations seems to think we will all die because of a little snow. I took some time to revamp my old web site. You know, just in case they are right.

It appears that the last time I did so was 12 years ago. My, how times flies, when you are having fun. Reading some of the old stuff show that I have been messing with my Dart for almost 20 years now. That's just a little longer then this board has been up.

So all the photos from the old site and the ones that I posted to Facebook are here: http://www.kesteb.us/. This new site will break all the links from my long forgotten build thread in the "Slixer's Gallery". Backwards compatibility is such a pain.

And if you are really bored. There is source code to read on the trac site. It's enough to put anybody to sleep... So for those long winter nights with nothing better to do...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:51 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model: 1975 Dodge D100
Cool! I just took a quick peek before leaving work for the day. So far, I'm enjoying the header build in the photo albums. I cant wait to check out all the rest of your site.
Very inspirational. Thanks for sharing!

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 310 posts ]  Go to page Previous 18 9 10 11 1221 Next