Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:49 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 310 posts ]  Go to page Previous 117 18 19 20 21
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2023 3:34 am 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model:
Super! Congrats, Kevin.

Lou

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2023 3:46 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
A slow steady pace gets the job done.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2023 2:45 am 

Car Model:
100% agree. Nice work.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2023 8:47 am 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
I think I have driven the Duster more in the last 2 months, then has been driven in the last 20 years. Mostly test drives. Anyway the "fix list" is down to fiddly things now.

Such as, rejetting the carburetor. The Autolite 2150 currently has #57 jets. This is too rich, with a nice dark brown spark plug color along with a black tail pipe (choke problem, fixed). This quite frankly, surprised me. I was expecting dirty oily black. I have some #56s on hand, so I will start there.

The timing was way off. I think I will swap the Darts distributor in, and work from there. The Darts distributor has 18* built in, with full mechanical advance by 3200 rpm. But the curve was built for a 4 speed and 3.5 gears, so that will need adjusting for an automatic and 3.21 gears. Interesting to note, that the timing was rock solid, the mark was not "wandering". It makes you wander why new engine builds have the "wandering" problem. JustMoparJoe has an interesting explanation, which just boils down to sloppy tolerances with aftermarket parts.

The power steering box has a long standing leak, which I didn't notice until I started cleaning crud off it . I believe the O rings in the aluminum block have harden and need replacement. But for $700+ I could replace it with a Firm Feel box or for $1000 I could use a Borgeson box and be cool. But in my old age, I have grown fond of the OEM box.

A voltage drain has developed. This one may be the worst to fix. But If i leave the battery hooked up, it is drained the next day. Also the right side turn signal has lost the running light again and the right turn signal indicator on the dash stays lite when the headlights are turned on. Maybe there is a connection, who knows.

This weeks YouTube video is on porting the exhaust manifold. You can spend a relaxing hour watching me use a die grinder.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2024 12:07 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
Rebuilding old cars is like remodeling old homes. One step forward, maybe two steps back, if you are lucky.

So the Autolite 2150 I bolted to my super six manifold had a problem with the idle jets. One side didn't do any adjusting. So I tore the carburetor down and soaked it in carb dip for about a week. After the dip, I poked a welding tip cleaner in all of the holes to dislodge any "stuff", blew it out with brake cleaner, degreased it with "Purple Power" and reassembled the carburetor and dropped it back on the engine. I tried to start the engine and it flooded.

Sigh. One step backwards.

So I fiddled with the float adjustment and nothing seemed to help, so I reverted back to the old needle and seat and it also flooded.

Sigh. Another step backwards.

But after more fiddling with the float level, I actually managed to stop the carburetor from flooding, well not really, instead of a gusher, it is now a small ripple. It is nice that you can run an Autolite without the top so you can actually see what is going wrong. I have come to the conclusion that the el cheapo replacement fuel pump is putting out more fuel pressure then the carburetor can handle.

So I rummaged around in the spare parts and found a old dead head regulator. Except it is set up to use 3/8" line and the Duster is 5/16" line. So off to the hardware store to buy some brass fittings to adapt the line size and off to Summit to buy a reproduction fuel line because somebody attempted the "Dan Stern fuel line mod" and it is a mess.

And to top that off. I discovered that my fabricated kickdown linkage rubs against the base of the drop down air cleaner when the throttle pedal is just off idle, and I will need to fabricate a carburetor spacer because the base plate of the Autolite is different then a Holley 2300.

Sigh, And, how has your week been going...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 5:51 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
slantzilla wrote:
Pretty much anyone can be faster than Uncle Baloney.....

:lol: At least He abandoned PlanZ to an ambitious Kid (FABO Member) who may make something of it...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 6:39 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
kesteb wrote:
Rebuilding old cars is like remodeling old homes. One step forward, maybe two steps back, if you are lucky.

So the Autolite 2150 I bolted to my super six manifold had a problem with the idle jets. One side didn't do any adjusting. So I tore the carburetor down and soaked it in carb dip for about a week. After the dip, I poked a welding tip cleaner in all of the holes to dislodge any "stuff", blew it out with brake cleaner, degreased it with "Purple Power" and reassembled the carburetor and dropped it back on the engine. I tried to start the engine and it flooded.

Sigh. One step backwards.

So I fiddled with the float adjustment and nothing seemed to help, so I reverted back to the old needle and seat and it also flooded.

But after more fiddling with the float level, I actually managed to stop the carburetor from flooding, well not really, instead of a gusher, it is now a small ripple. It is nice that you can run an Autolite without the top so you can actually see what is going wrong. I have come to the conclusion that the el cheapo replacement fuel pump is putting out more fuel pressure then the carburetor can handle.

So I rummaged around in the spare parts and found a old dead head regulator. Except it is set up to use 3/8" line and the Duster is 5/16" line. So off to the hardware store to buy some brass fittings to adapt the line size and off to Summit to buy a reproduction fuel line because somebody attempted the "Dan Stern fuel line mod" and it is a mess.

And to top that off. I discovered that my fabricated kickdown linkage rubs against the base of the drop down air cleaner when the throttle pedal is just off idle, and I will need to fabricate a carburetor spacer because the base plate of the Autolite is different then a Holley 2300.

Sigh, And, how has your week been going...

Yeah, unfortunately, I've seen stock replacement pumps vary from 5-14psi on a variety of vehicles...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 7:33 pm 

Car Model: 68 Valiant
Killer6 wrote:
slantzilla wrote:
Pretty much anyone can be faster than Uncle Baloney.....

:lol: At least He abandoned PlanZ to an ambitious Kid (FABO Member) who may make something of it...

I believe Shane Pulido has it. Honestly? After seeing it in person it should be scrapped for safety reasons.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 2:16 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
That's My impression. After the non-replacement rust removal, & the Tennessee Hole-Saw Massacre, the ever industrious metal-mites have had their way with it...it is a death-trap for sure.

Hopefully kesteb is having a 2-steps forward day Today..

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 10:59 am 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
One of the problems of living 20 miles from everything is that the local feed and grain dosen't stock the common 3/8mip to 5/16 compression brass fittings. The online price is like $5 a pop plus shipping. So this will have to be an Amazon buy. Contrast this to the cool AN fittings that flow so much better (at least the advertising says so). You know, I need all the flow in the world to feed that 140hp.

On the other hand the spacer took only a couple of hours to make and now the air cleaner clears the kickdown linkage. This also gives me about 1" of spacer under the carburetor. And everyone knows thats worth at least 10hp. Richard Holdner says so.

I also bought some reproduction pump to carburetor fuel line. It may be the best $41 that I have spent yet. It sure beats trying to hand bend that line.

So lets say, 1 step forward, for now.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 310 posts ]  Go to page Previous 117 18 19 20 21