Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:18 am

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 8:17 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
• A Factory Service Manual for your year and model. You can get it on eBay or from any of many automotive literature vendors. I've had excellent and economical success for 15 years buying auto literature from Paul Politis There are lots of vendors of manuals on CD. Quality is all over the map; the officially-licenced ones come from moparmanuals.com .

It makes little difference whether you get the Dodge or Plymouth version. That is, if you're working on a '75 Dart, the 1975 Plymouth and Valiant manual will serve you just as well as the 1975 Dodge and Dart manual, for instance. What matters is that you get the genuine factory book—sometimes a 2-book set—rather than an aftermarket book (Chilton, Haynes, etc.). The aftermarket books contain a great deal of incorrect information, and leave out important info and steps. That's how they cram ten years and five models into a book 1" thick, while the factory books cover only a few models and are several inches thick! See Here for instructions on how to make the most effective use of an aftermarket service manual.

• Stockel and Stockel, "Auto Mechanics Fundamentals". These are always plentiful and cheap, since they were the standard textbook for just about every auto shop class ever taught in North America. Numerous printings; most any will do, but it's best to find one printed a couple years after your car was built.
See Here.

• Petersen's Automotive Troubleshooting & Repair Manual, 1975 (or thereabouts; there were a few print runs of this book. 1974, 1975, 1977 at least.)
See Here.

These three books are very, very highly recommended for anyone just starting out working on a slant-6 car. The Stockel book explains how everything works. The Petersen book has lots of pictures and explains how to fix everything. The factory service manual contains all the data and settings for your particular car.

Buy. Read. Assimilate!

Last edited by SlantSixDan on Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:59 am, edited 6 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 10:20 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
Just as an FYI, since the muscle craze has hit badly in most areas those guys who have the mis fortune to have a 1968-1974 car may not like the price of their books...

I tryed to get a set of 1974 books (all three Service, Electrical, and the Parts Book) and had to pass because it included all the specs for the challenger and Barracuda E-body...that jacked the price through the roof to $150 for all 3...($45 for the service manual, $35 for the electrical manual...)... conversely a full set of 1976 manuals ran a whole wopping $50...off of e-bag...

The 1975 manual is one 'style' it's Dodge/Plymouth/Chrysler (thanks to the bean counters...)....

Keep an eye out at your local used book store they pop up from time to time too (I have the 1978 service set from Powell's books for a whole $15 service and elec...)

FYI-

-D.Idiot

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 10:26 pm 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model:
:roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:28 am 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
I'm bringing this topic back up because I just got two of the three books. The factory manual for my 73 turns out to be the hardest to find.

I got the Petersen manual for less than $2 off ebay.

The Stockel book was barely $5.

They are !immensely! useful books. A ton of information, and the language is definately geared toward the guy wrenching at home. I'm a beginner and these books are great! The Petersen manual even had guidelines for a startup tool kit which is helpful because I don't have a million dollars to spend on every little tool a mechanic might have.

Thanks Dan.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 9:26 am 

Car Model:
Worth their weight in gold, fer sher.

I've modified the top post in this thread to provide a better source for factory info. Rattle Paul Politis' cage and see if he can't supply your '73 books.

Post subject: Great Books!
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 2:56 pm 
Board Sponsor & SL6 Racer

Car Model: 65 Valiant 2Dr Post
I just got the Stockel book " Auto Mechanics Fundamentals" also. Wow! What a great book. I've already learned, that I need to Learn some more about ,what I haven't learned. Know what I mean? Thanks for the recommendation Dan, It really is a treasure chest full of information.

Rick

PS. Are the newer editions of equal value with regards to more modern cars?
Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 7:32 pm 

Car Model:
Hi, Rick. As far as I know, the newer versions are equally thorough regarding engine management principles and other "new car" stuff, but there may be other Stockel books (besides Auto Mechanics Fundamentals) that go into depth on those topics. I know there was a companion volume to Auto Mechanics Fundamentals called Auto Service Fundamentals, that dealt with service practices and procedures. You may want to try an amazon.com search on stockel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 8:31 pm 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Car Model:
SlantSixDan wrote:
You may want to try an amazon.com search on stockel.

Did that, and got a 1974 book in good condition for $2.19.

1974 Duster, EFI /6 soon to be turbo...

Get that Monkay! Get that nasty thing!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 4:40 am 
I paid $65 for the "Faxon" Factory Service Manual (FSM) for my '63 Valiant. Worth every penny. With the FSM and this /6 forum you can do about anything with these cars.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:44 am 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model:
Are the 74 and 77 versions similar to the 75 Petersen's? Can't seem to find a 75 edition.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:13 am 

Car Model:
Either should be just fine. Go for the '77.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:10 am 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Car Model:
One more book Dan should have recommended is the factory PARTS catalog.

Not just because it's full of numbers if/when you're dealing with all of the people who sell NOS (New Old Stock) parts but also for all of the exploded diagrams of the various subassemblies.

The Factory Service Manual assumes you have a basic mechanical knowledge of a car. Whether you do or not, in many cases, the parts catalog will show you how something is assembled. So when you're fishing around inside a door trying to connect a link or clip, it's nice to know what that jagged piece was that just ripped your hand open.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 10:08 am 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model: 1973 Plymouth Scamp
Thanks for your help Dan. I did check with the manufacturer again and this is the only heat riser they have. I've checked elsewhere but keep coming back to the same company (ATP). I wonder if I can just replace the thermo-spring since the original is broken. Thoughts?

Also I'll get a factory service manual. Thanks again.

Bruce

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 4:57 am 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
Lots of good information in these books. I've been playing with cars longer than most of you have been breathing. The knowledge in these books would have saved a lot of skin and cussing fits. I really think this thread should be a sticky.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:27 am 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
On Moparts.com "Mr.X" may have FSM's on CD. Might want to check with him.

'72 Duster 198 stock cam, 3:23's Hookers on jack stands for 8 years in the driveway
'79 Maxivan 360 Offy Qjet Comp RV cam/rusting in the driveway.
93 D350 160HP Cummins Auto :-( Dually Clubcab needs a injector pump
2005 Golden Couch Buick