Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:52 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 362 posts ]  Go to page Previous 117 18 19 20 2125 Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 4:48 am 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model:
You are truly a sick man, Doc. Get that thing together and give us some flogging reports!! :D :twisted:

Lou

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:23 am 
Turbo EFI

Car Model: 1964 Plymouth Valiant V200 Sedan
Doc, did you make templates to fabricate your pan baffles? Those sure would be handy ... :)

1964 Valiant V200, 225/Pushbutton 904
BBD, CAI, HEI, LBP, AC, AM/FM/USB, EIEIO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:36 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
You could fill that hole with some assembly lube so you don't have to look at it, then you can try to forget how deep it is. It will probably never make any difference. I don't mean this in a bad way, but I would expect the main caps to tear out of the block before the crank is a problem on this engine. It will probably all just work fine anyway.

I prefer to use a windage try on any engine that I am trying to get the most out of if possible. I would consider a short tray but if it cannot be supported well enough to avoid cracking I guess thats the end of it.

Is a pan mounted tray or even a pan mounted screen out of the question?

Those baffles look real nice. That alone should make quite a difference. Otherwise these engines only have gravity for oil control.

Any thoughts about a block mounted scraper that fits inside the pan line? It looks like holes would have to be drilled thru the side of the block to avoid doing anything to the the webs. Then maybe some mounting blocks could be bolted to the engine block. I have been hoping to come up with this sort of solution for the engine I am planning. I want to run a scraper and tray, but do not like the idea of going without a pan gasket on a street engine that I don't plan on pulling out for a long time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:22 pm 
Guru

Car Model: Many Darts and a Dacuda
Dart270 wrote:
You are truly a sick man, Doc.
Get that thing together and give us some flogging reports!! :D :twisted:
Lou

I don't think the deep balance hole is a problem for this engine, if I thought otherwise, I would not have installed that crank into Twiggy.

I did want to point-out this feature... most engine builders would not even notice something like this but honestly, I would not use a crank with this kind of deep balance hole in a higher HP SL6 engine... better cranks are not that hard to find.

As for the in pan scraper, that should help keep some of the windage directed down into the sump. Here is a "file photo" of the windage trays I test fitted to the engine and decided not to use.

The pan goes onto the engine tomorrow and then it is down to the final 'bolt-on' items and engine install. Intake and exhaust manifold selection is the next big decision area.
How much do I want to 'limit' the output of this engine through carb. size?
DD

Last edited by Doctor Dodge on Sat Nov 24, 2007 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 8:53 am 
Guru

OK.... the oil pan is on, we are in the "final moments" of this engine's assembly.
Here is what the long block looks like.
DD

Post subject: Intake Manifold Prep...
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:20 pm 
Guru

Spent some time grinding and cleaning-up the welds on a ebeam welded 2bbl intake manifold. This unit weighs-in at 6 lbs. :)

Had to do a little welding on the floor of the manifold to fix a crack and to fill-in the EGR port. Did some shaping to the welded floor to direct any liquid fuel over to runners 2 & 5.

The next step was to apply epoxy to the weld joint... talk about a "time bandit" job. Those of you who have seen the weld joint quality on these manifolds know why I spent the time to cover all the "poc-marks" with epoxy.

I could not resist drilling 4 extra holes into the corners...
DD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:36 am 
Board Sponsor & SL6 Racer

Car Model:
I didn t realize there was enough meat there for nitrous nozzles.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 2:59 pm 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
"Do not overtighten manifold nuts,
0 FT-LB maximum" :shock:

If "0" is the max, whats the minimum? :D

Post subject: E-beam manifold
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:30 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
This is first time I saw this e-beam welded alum manifold, 6lb is feather!

Cheers, Wizard

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:43 pm 
Board Sponsor & SL6 Racer

Car Model:
I like them......they cost nothing (full of holes doncha know)....weigh nothing....can be welded...epoxied.

My new Offy seems like a clunker compared to the EBeam.

They mind me of the never assembled Hubley Metal Model car kits my mom used to bring home from the Sally Ann for me. The ones that you screw together....die cast....some finishing required. 7 lb 1/24 scale Duesenburg.

Nice polishing Doug.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:56 pm 
Guru

Car Model:
moparfreak77 wrote:
"Do not overtighten manifold nuts,
0 FT-LB maximum" :shock:
If "0" is the max, whats the minimum? :D

It use to say "10" but the 1 has been sanded down a bit. :oops:
Yes, these are super thin and light manifolds, you really have to be careful with them... over-tightening is a real problem with these intakes.
I still have some sanding work to do but it's coming along.
DD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:51 am 
Guru

sandy in BC wrote:
I didn t realize there was enough meat there for nitrous nozzles.....

The outer 2 holes are easy, there are a couple of recesses at the top, outer wall of the plenum that I drill into, doing that keeps the nozzle out of the air path.

The two inner holes are harder to get positioned correctly. You have to find where the port's inner divider walls, between runners 2 & 3 and 4 & 5, end at the plenum opening. These areas have the most material below them. Even with that, I did build-up the area around the rear inner hole with weld while I had the TIG fired-up. That position just needed a little more material in order to get a nice tapped hole.

I take some mesurments then use a small drill to make a test hole, with the goal of being centered right on the divider and right at the end if it. Once you have the first small test hole, you "fine tune" the hole's position with other small holes, then drill-out the hole "cluster" to the needed tap size.
If positioned as planned, the large final hole breaks out the end of the divider wall, to expose the end of the nozzle.

This process also works on the 1 bbl version of this manifold.
Oh... be sure you have a NOS nozzle and a carb available before you start drilling. You need to make sure the holes are placed so the nozzles do not hit the carb. or get in the way of linkage travel.
DD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 11:45 am 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
I love the paint your using, might I ask what it is? Also what was the results of this build, has it been finished?

Jess

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 9:18 am 
Guru

I use OSH brand spray paint. (Orchard Supply Hardware) www.osh.com
Today they are a part of Sears from a corporate standpoint.

I could never figure-out if OSH contracts with a small independent paint maker or has a major spray paint maker relabel for them.
I do like their "Bright Red" because it is the closes spray can color match to the orange / red color used on the early Slants.

As for Twiggy's paint, there is not much used on that engine!
I had to get Twiggy off the engine stand to make way for the "twins"...
The last steps needed to finish that build is to add the manifolds and the thermostat, then do the install.
DD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:35 am 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
Just thought I'd throw in a picture of MY freshly home rebuilt aluminum stocker, well... just because. Hope this photo works and is not too big. BTW, this was 1 1/2 years and 4000 miles ago.

'63 Valiant V200 Convertible
225 Aluminum Block

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 362 posts ]  Go to page Previous 117 18 19 20 2125 Next