Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:11 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Forum locked  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2
PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2002 11:31 pm 
<FONT COLOR="ff0000">Mitch,

Thanks for your post. As a guideline, the current forum costs about $10.00 a month to host. I also bought the (slow!) forum software for $50.00 and I pay about $9.00 per year for the domain name. There were also misc. setup fees. So at this point, after the initial setup we are only talking about $10.00 per month in outlay to keep the board up. If I have to move, there will be setup costs associated with that and the ante will probably go up to $20.00 minimum. So my outlay has been about $350.00 to date. As you can probably guess, I am not looking to make an income from the board. It has been a real joy for Doug and I to spread the knowledge and the "bug" for Slant Sixes. It would be nice to have the board pay for itself though. If we get sponsors that could solve the issues. We certainly have enough traffic to make ads worthwhile without cluttering up the board.

This is a new "game" for us. Even if we got a few bucks a month from our "regulars" we could cover ongoing costs. Unfortunately, we are in "crisis mode" now. This has been coming for a long time. Migrating to new software will give this board some new "punch" and make the experience more enjoyable to everyone.

Doug and I are discussing options. We certainly do not wish to alienate anyone by making them pay for services, but I think several of our readers have gotten so much valuable info from this site that they couldn't find elsewhere that they would be willing to pay a small "sponsors" fee.

Right now I am spending my time on research for the upgrade. I was up 'til 4:00 last night (this morning?) installing software on my own server that is needed to test new BBS software. Sometimes it is like pulling teeth. All pain, no gain.

I really appreciate these posts. We will get this done and be the better for it. If all works as planned, there will be no more complaints of a slow board!

Doug is working on long-term plans, as he is well known in the automotive circles. I saw a post from the admin of the fordsix.com site who is getting some help on manifold casting from the DOC. His comment was that our Doc is very well known outside of the Mopar circles.

Well see how it goes. Right now it is one step at a time.

Chuck</FONT>
(User Above) wrote:
:
: Along with the others here, I will send Chuck
: something through PayPal. If not out of
: place, however, may I ask what would be
: appropriate? Or should I ask: What is
: needed? Other sites have a membership with
: dues to defer the costs. It would be helpful
: if Chuck could come up with a long range
: game plan where the cost of running this
: site, in whatever venue, could be
: approximated. It is not fair to have one
: individual bear all the expenses while
: everyone else enjoys the advantages of this
: site. I for one would be willing to pay in
: return for the privilages afforded within.
:
: Regards
:
: Mitch

sl6@omnipages.com

Post subject: Re: Thanks Chuck!
PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2002 11:38 pm 
<FONT COLOR="ff0000">Thanks for your post. Glad you are getting something out of the board.

The heck with the postal workers! I just received a donation via PayPal from Tom Kimpel. Way to go Tom! The PayPal address to use is <A HREF="mailto:cpr@omnipages.com">cpr@omnipages.com</A>.

Chuck</FONT>
(User Above) wrote:
:
: I haven't posted much at all, but I enjoy
: reading this board on an almost daily basis.
: I would like to thank you for all your hard
: work and dedication and only wish I had
: found this sight 10 years ago. I would also
: be willing to pay dues if it comes to that.
: My contribution, though small, is waiting
: for the postal workers to come back to work.
: I hope that all goes well and would like to
: again say thanks for all you do for us
: slanted type folks!

sl6@omnipages.com

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2002 12:03 am 
Hey Doc and Chuck,
well my donation will be in the mail tuesday due to the postal workers being off monday, i'm only 16 so paypal is out of the question for me! i love my six and i love this site, you have a donation (THANK GOD FOR THE AUTO INDUSTERY!!) i work on cars 6days aweek after school at a local shop, i come home and visit this site all the time! keep it up!

Justin

slantsickness@hotmail.com

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2002 7:13 am 
Chuck,

This site has been a pleasure and a help for me over the last two years. I had meant to send you something earlier, so this is a good nudge. A check is in the mail to you.

Thanks very much and keep up the great work,

Lou

lmadsen@email.unc.edu

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2002 9:46 am 
<FONT COLOR="ff0000">Thanks, Lou. We certainly appreciate the support, now more than ever.

Chuck</FONT>
(User Above) wrote:
:
: Chuck,
:
: This site has been a pleasure and a help for me
: over the last two years. I had meant to send
: you something earlier, so this is a good
: nudge. A check is in the mail to you.
:
: Thanks very much and keep up the great work,
:
: Lou

sl6@omnipages.com

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2002 9:50 am 
<FONT COLOR="ff0000">Justin,

Our thanks goes out to you. I's great to see junior members on this board! I've been driving a Slant since I was 17 (a '64 Dart GT 4-speed).

Chuck</FONT>
(User Above) wrote:
:
: Hey Doc and Chuck,
: well my donation will be in the mail tuesday
: due to the postal workers being off monday,
: i'm only 16 so paypal is out of the question
: for me! i love my six and i love this site,
: you have a donation (THANK GOD FOR THE AUTO
: INDUSTERY!!) i work on cars 6days aweek
: after school at a local shop, i come home
: and visit this site all the time! keep it
: up!
:
: Justin

sl6@omnipages.com

Post subject: Bumper Stickers? *PIC*
PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2002 3:08 pm 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2002 5:13 pm 
Wow what a great racing seison. Ther a lot of people i need to thank but we will do that latter. There is a lot of people that do a lot of work that don't get recongized. Seymour Pederson,Doug Durta and Chuck Rivers to put all of this together. This is what i wanted to do all my life and you cannot find a better group of people. Chuck rpracing ie ron parker will send you 100 dollars and changlge that mean old bagel bomber to do the same. Later dude. Possum Parker

rpracing@catt.com

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2002 11:54 pm 
Wow to you too Possum Boy! What a great offer. We'll see if the Bagel Bomber is up to the challenge!

Anyway, it's guys like you that make it worth all the trouble to keep this board and its resources available. I can't wait to join the real racing crowd. I plan to drop a turbo six in my '63 Dart 'vert next week!

Since I put up the PayPal link I have gotten some good responses. I wanted to do that 6 months ago but couldn't find that elusive "round tuit". We still need to collect a few more $$$ but we are making progres. We have decided on phpBB. You can see it in action at phpbb.com, but we will have a unique look. We are working night and day to get this completed by the end of the month. We'll keep you all posted.

Chuck
(User Above) wrote:
:
: Wow what a great racing seison. Ther a lot of
: people i need to thank but we will do that
: latter. There is a lot of people that do a
: lot of work that don't get recongized.
: Seymour Pederson, Doug Durta and Chuck Rivers
: to put all of this together. This is what I
: wanted to do all my life and you cannot find
: a better group of people. Chuck rpracing ie
: ron parker will send you 100 dollars and
: challenge that mean old bagel bomber to do
: the same. Later dude. Possum Parker

sl6@omnipages.com

Post subject: Re: Bumper Stickers?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2002 11:59 pm 
Great suggestion on the stickers. You can order some with PayPal. Click on the "For Sale" link to see the pricing, then just go back and click on the PayPal link. Make sure to enter your name & address info in PayPay and just put "bumper stickers" in the message and I'll ship them out. I'll work on a direct buying link when the new board is up.

Chuck
(User Above) wrote:
:
: Until now, I didn't realize that there were
: bumper stickers for sale. I had noticed the
: words "For Sale!" under the banner
: on the homepage, though, and was concerned.
: I thought you were selling the domain name,
: or something!
:
: I recommend changing "For Sale!" to
: "Bumper Stickers For Sale!" I
: don't know how many other people might
: misunderstand the intent as I did.
:
: Next paycheck, I'll be ordering at least one
: bumper sticker.
:
: I've done the Webmaster thing, Chuck, and
: understand what a tough, thankless job it
: can be. Please know that we really
: appreciate your hard work! This is one of
: the most worthwhile sites on the Web.
:
: Mark

sl6@omnipages.com

Forum locked  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2