Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:40 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 57 Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:28 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
Yes I would like some more info on this too if possible. Is this something I can try or should I tell the shop who is balancing it? Thanks for all your work on this write-up it is coming along nicely.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:50 am 
Guru

Car Model:
Thanks for the input, it really helps me edit the posts so everyone can follow what is being done. I added some additional text to the last entry on crank prep.

My problem (a "good" problem) is that I have done a lot of these engine builds so what is obvious to me may not be obvious to everyone else. :oops:
DD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:21 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 1962 Plymouth Valiant Signet
Doc, in your latest update you say to use a late "large pilot" crank. How important is this for a mild street build? I already have my crank reground and ready to go but it isn't installed yet so if I need to make a change, now would be the time to do it.

'06 Jeep Liberty

Growing older is unavoidable but growing up is strictly optional.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:20 pm 
Guru

Car Model: Many Darts and a Dacuda
For a manual shift car, it really does not matter, as long as you have the correct flywheel.

For an auto trans car, if you have a converter you like, that goes with the "small hub" transmission you have, then you are OK but if you ever want to change to a high stall converter, you have to go "custom" with the small pilot stuff.

These days, I build all my SL6 engines using the big pilot cranks and use the adaptor ring when they go into cars with the small converter nose. Doing this gives me a lot of flexability if the engine needs to go into a different car later on.

In your case, I would just use what you have and get the car on the road.
DD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:27 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
Holy valve shrouding Batman. The pics with the head on the block from the bottom really shows just how bad a set of bigger valve are to close to the wall.

Is the one head cut so much that it now has quench/squish pads that are even with the block deck? Maybe its just the pics making it look this way but that is a lot of cutting if it is.

Jess

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:48 pm 
Guru

Car Model:
That head has .100 milled off of it.
Even with that heavy cut, there is still .080 of "step" before getting to the flat in the chambers.
DD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:58 am 
Board Sponsor & SL6 Racer

Car Model:
Doug you were talking about 1/2 x1/2 rod balancing. Do you lay 1 end of the rod on the counter and 1 end on the scale??
Sorry I didnt chime in earlyer I must have missed that post.
Also is there a prefered method to storing a assyed block with out a head. Im having rust issues on bearing and machine surfaces while working on the head.(yhea Im slow)
Thanks
Frank :oops:

178" FED
82 D150
All Slant powered

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:43 am 
Guru

Car Model:
Yes, you can do "1/2 & 1/2" balancing the way you discribe if you can set-up so all the rods position in the same place every time.
I have 2 little triangles that I use, the bases are double sided taped down and the peaks get positioned right at the inner edges of the large and small rod bores, right where I can see the edge along the bore's edge.

There are rod balancing stands and scales available but the set is kinda expensive.

As for storing machined blocks / cranks, spray or wipe them down with oil and put them in a plastic bag. If I store cranks "long term", I tear strips of cloth, soak the strips in oil and wrap / tie the oily strips around each journal, then bag.
DD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:49 am 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Car Model:
Doc wrote:
Yes, you can do "1/2 & 1/2" balancing the way you discribe if you can set-up so all the rods position in the same place every time.
I have 2 little triangles that I use, the bases are double sided taped down and the peaks get positioned right at the inner edges of the large and small rod bores, right where I can see the edge along the bore's edge.

DD

Can you post a pic, of this setup? I can't seem to visualize it.

64 Valiant Signet
64 Valiant 4dr 170

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:51 am 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
I made one at home out of hardware store stuff and a digital scale. Look up my Rod Polishing thread. I know the ebay ones gor for a couple hundered. Hatch Engines who I have mixed feelings about for a six cylinder build, only charges $150 for a complete rotational balance so probably not worth it to buy a rod scale unless you want to do this several times (like Doug).
I had to edit this. I need to give credit where it is due, I didn't come up with the scale thing on my own. I got it from this guy,
http://www.angelfire.com/ca4/CorvAIRCRA ... lance.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:31 pm 
Guru

I got this challenge form Mark, the Guzzi man:

madmax/6 wrote:
Will hot wire Guzzi motor monday morning to beat you on getting the first twin running,... just a FIRE AND SPARK,10 SECONDS AND I WIN RIGHT?
Loser buys a 6 pack of beer in Vegas,
Love Mark

Wow... I am surprised Mark wants to do this... he has seen me in action, I am the energizer bunny when it comes to SL6 projects, I keep going... and going...

Seems like more free beer in Vegas for me! .... it's time to kick things up a notch!
DD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:55 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
"Ca-noe" slowed me down a little,still might fire mon.mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:14 pm 
Guru

Are you still working on that "ca-new" car you bought?

You better get back to work on Guzzi... I am on a roll.
I used one of my not so secret wepons today and had Allen pull the engine out of the Lancer while I worked on finishing my "ca-noe" engine assembly job. :wink: :lol:

If all goes as planned, we will stuff the other twin into the race car TOMORROW.
DD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:07 am 
Board Sponsor & SL6 Racer

Car Model:
hmmmmmmm. ....Ill jump in for a six of Full Sail ale......I hope to stuff the new motor into the Valaint today...mebbe fire it up.

Seeing as how you guys name motors I thought I would call mine "Queen Latifa" ....seeing as how it always seems busted...

I see Allen is in short sleeves.....its not that way here.....freezing fog this morning.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:36 am 
Guru

Yes... Spring has come to Sunnyvale, it is great engine swapping weather! :wink:

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 57 Next