Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:42 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: Kickdown or Lokar?
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 7:08 pm 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model:
So I have a Super Six setup with a Carter BBD from a 77 Volare. Kickdown linkages are seemingly increasingly hard to find so I was wondering your guys opinion on this. Would it be better to get the stock super six kickdown or a Lokar cable? I have a 904 Trans if it matters. Oh, and what part numbers would I need for the cable and other brackets I would need? This is all on a 72 Dart Swinger. Thanks!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 7:22 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model:
It doesn't matter which way you go. I just picked up kick down linkage complete for under $50 off eBay. Came from a junkyard in Arizona.

http://cid-32f1e50ddb40a03c.photos.live ... %20Swinger

74 Swinger, 9.5 comp 254/.435 lift cam, 904, ram air, electric fans, 2.5" HP2 & FM70 ex, 1920 Holley#56jet, 2.76 8 3/4 Sure-Grip, 26" tires, 25+MPG

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 7:29 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
The Lokar cable is one option. I've never used one and probably will not, because it seems like every time someone tries to install one they run into problems and hassles making it work correctly. I am, however, growing closer and closer to installing on my '62 the Bouchillon kickdown cable setup which uses later-model factory parts.

Last edited by SlantSixDan on Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 7:47 pm 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model:
Aggressive Ted: So you were the one who snatched that linkage setup hehe.

SSD: Thanks for the heads up on the Lokar problems, to be honest the Bouchillon one looks pretty cool but I kind of want to go the cheapest and most effective route.

What would be the cheapest? the best performance? The best overall? Thanks a lot guys, this site is great!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 8:36 pm 
Turbo EFI

Location: Cypress, Texas, Northwest Houston. The Lone Star State
Car Model:
I don't know which one works best, but I have a Lokar kickdown cable on my Volare. I had to fab up a bracket, but other than that, it was a straightforward install. This cable has been on my Volare since 2003.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 8:44 pm 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model:
How difficult was the fabrication of the bracket you made for it? What cable did you use? Is it a 904 trans on your Volare? Do you know the parts number? Did you use a bracket from Lokar? Thanks!

Jake

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 10:49 pm 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
Hey guys, I just got my hot rod together and I found a cheap alternative for the kickdown problems using all factory parts. I bought it at the wrecking yard for 10$. I canibalized a 95 Dodge Dakota, but you can get it out of any Magnum motored product ( durango, Jeep) with the A 999 tranny, (I think that is the handle). Anyways it is hard to miss it looks like a 727. Rob everything, cable, brackets, arm off the transmission, spring. The length between the butterflys shaft and the cable end is 1'', set it up the same on the carb. Adjustment is done by a spring loaded lock, set it to where the tranny arm is in the resting position and no slack on the cable at idle. that is it! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 8:19 am 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model: 68 Valiant
72DartSwinger wrote:
How difficult was the fabrication of the bracket you made for it? What cable did you use? Is it a 904 trans on your Volare? Do you know the parts number? Did you use a bracket from Lokar? Thanks!

Jake

I did a Lokar on my Duster in about 30 minutes with the Lokar kit and some flat aluminum stock from Home Depot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 8:38 am 

Car Model:
valiantboy_66 wrote:
Hey guys, I just got my hot rod together and I found a cheap alternative for the kickdown problems using all factory parts. I bought it at the wrecking yard for 10$. I canibalized a 95 Dodge Dakota, but you can get it out of any Magnum motored product ( durango, Jeep) with the A 999 tranny, (I think that is the handle). Anyways it is hard to miss it looks like a 727. Rob everything, cable, brackets, arm off the transmission, spring. The length between the butterflys shaft and the cable end is 1'', set it up the same on the carb. Adjustment is done by a spring loaded lock, set it to where the tranny arm is in the resting position and no slack on the cable at idle. that is it! 8)

This what you're detailing is almost exactly what the Bouchillon kit consists of, as it seems. It's just they package it up nicely and give a bunch of detailed instructions and such, and maybe add some bracketry. Good work!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 1:40 pm 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
I had help from Yoda :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:43 am 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
Has anybody done the truck cable install on a 904? Or is that aspect even different from a 727?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:00 am 

Car Model:
904 and 727 same.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:33 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model:
I use a Bouchillon cable, it installed in no time with no farting around getting things to play well with each other. Its ease in a dialing in adjustment is stupid simple; once rough adjustment at the their universal clamp is set, fine tuning is accomplished simply by pushing a button and moving cable in or out with no tools.

If you don’t care to scrounge a yard, or don’t have a yard that allows one to self-harvest parts, than Bouchillon is an easy way to install new Mopar parts in your ride.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:26 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
So.... I visited a junkyard here in Tucson yesterday because I needed another part anyway (Arizona Auto Wrecking - a decent collection of Mopars - air cleaner bail acquired, Dan, thank you): the Bouchillon parts and the factory truck setup (I was looking at a '94 Dakota) look nearly identical down by the transmission, but it does appear that a bracket to mount the housing near the carb and fabricating a throttle bracket are going require a little creativity and time.

wjajr and valiantboy_66 both describe the simplicity of adjustment with their respective setups, but we're talking a difference of about $100+ ($10 vs $130). Is a bill worth the time it would take to remove the junkyard hardware, and fabricate the two parts I mentioned above?

I'm almost sold on the Bouchillon because, hey, it's shiny and it's ready to go, but as a fellow advocate for thrift whenever reasonable, I would be very curious to know a little more on exactly how valiantboy_66 completed this project.

Tucson, AZ

'68 Dart 270 with a '76-'80 engine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:48 am 
Supercharged

Car Model:
Bouchillon universal accelerator cable mounting bracket can be used with the junk yard parts. Also if you can find a bracket off of a cable operated automatic transmission Chrysler built car or truck with carburetor that has cable ends orientated correctly it may be made to work.

82' LeBaron Convertible; the new Chrysler Corp

07' 300 C AWD; Now by Fiat, the old new Chrysler LLC