Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:01 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: Miss under load.
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:49 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
This has happened a few times over the last three months. I'll have the slant six at WOT, and running about 3200 or so on a steep grade and after about 30 seconds of WOT like that, it'll suddenly start missing on one hole. I let up and shifted, and about 10 seconds later, the miss vanished. It's happened every time on a steep hill, doing the same thing. And it goes away only after I let up. Not fuel starvation, I don't have hydraulic lifters, and certainly isn't anywhere near what the engine will rev to happily.

I've tried to catch it by pulling over and when I stop, the miss is gone.

Any ideas? I'm thinking a spark plug with some kind of issue... or a sticky valve? I don't hear any odd noises other than the miss.

This is the propane engine... rebuilt head with bronze guides, oversize stainless valves, 10.5 compression, 260 /248 .440/.437 cam... Ford EDIS crank trigger ignition / chrysler 3.3 coil

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:56 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 64 Plymouth Valiant
Are you sure it's not fuel starvation?

8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:02 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: Fiat 500e
Could very well be an exhaust valve sticking in the guide when it gets really hot. This same thing has been reported here before. Not enough stem to guide clearance

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:34 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
Also check for sneaky vacuum leaks at individual intake manifold runners.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:17 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
If it behaved like a vacuum leak, I'd buy it. But it doesn't. It only ever crops up at high speed and WOT. That's when there's the least vacuum and therefore hte least vacuum leaking.

The idea of a sticking valve due to being too tight of stem clearance... I suppose that seems pretty reasonable. How would I test this theory?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:31 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
65CrewCabPW wrote:
If it behaved like a vacuum leak, I'd buy it. But it doesn't. It only ever crops up at high speed and WOT. That's when there's the least vacuum and therefore hte least vacuum leaking.

Vacuum leaks are not always as simple as they'd like you to believe they are. Sometimes they don't show up except under the right combination of harmonics, and then you can get all kinds of weirdness.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:56 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
SlantSixDan wrote:
65CrewCabPW wrote:

Vacuum leaks are not always as simple as they'd like you to believe they are. Sometimes they don't show up except under the right combination of harmonics, and then you can get all kinds of weirdness.

IF this was something random, or uneven, I'd buy it. The dead hole suddenly happens, it stays completely dead, even if I change rpm, load, throttle, etc. Then, suddenly, it comes back, 100%. It's like someone pulls the wire off and then puts it back on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:47 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
Given the combination of factors that bring it on, it will be tough to pin it down definitively. If the miss will stay for a few seconds under less throttle, then you MIGHT see as a slight pulse in a vacuum gauge reading ( an exhaust valve problem will affect vacuum less than intake valve). If you know anyone with a portable ignition scope, your bad cyl will show up easy on the secondary ignition waveform.

Otherwise, you might only find it by doing a teardown & inspection- looking for tight clearance or galling of the valve stem(s). (this used to be a BIG problem on small block Chebbies- it happened under identical conditions as yours)