Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:47 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:26 am 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model:
Dear All,

Here is my update on the Eastern SSRN Banquet, held in Pigeon Forge, TN on Feb 18-19, 2012.

2012 Eastern Race dates - here is what we know at the moment:

1) Mark Goodman wants to do a race at MoKan dragway on April 28. We are encouraging him to do this, and anyone from anywhere can show up to earn Slant Six Racing points. 1/4 mile racing COMPLETED - Seymour Pederson winner! 8 cars attending.

2) Mason-Dixon Dragway in Hagerstown, MD - May 19-20, 2012. Slant 6 Points racing Saturday and Sunday. Rick Covalt race coordinator. 1/8 mile and 1/4 mile race (one each day)? COMPLETED - Phil Stoneback and Frank Funk winners with 17 and 15 cars on Sat, Sun, respectively.

3) Elk Creek Dragway in Elk Creek, VA - July 13-14, 2012. Slant 6 Points racing Friday night and Saturday. Ron Hamby race coordinator. 1/8 mile racing both days - RAINED OUT (9 cars FRI / 10 cars SAT) :(

4) Knoxville Dragway in Maynardville, TN - August 3-4 Slant 6 Points racing Friday night and Saturday. Gary Bruner race coordinator. 1/8 mile racing both days

5) Thunder Valley Dragway in Bristol, TN - Sept. 1-2, 2012. Slant 6 Points racing Saturday and Sunday. Brian Mimken race coordinator. 1/4 mile racing both days

6) Mountain Park Dragway in Clay City, KY - Oct. 6-7, 2012. Slant 6 Points racing Saturday and Sunday. Rob Simmons race coordinator. 1/8 mile and 1/4 mile race (one each day)?

7) Mason-Dixon Dragway in Hagerstown, MD - Oct 27-28, 2012. MOSTLY CERTAIN. Slant 6 Points racing Saturday and Sunday. Rick Covalt race coordinator. 1/4 mile racing.

This gives us 10 races on 5 weekends in the East, plus a 1-day MoKan race in the Midwest.

There was discussion about a SECOND race toward the Northeast later in the season, or in June, to encourage more northern racers to come out. Basically no one at the banquet will want to go further NE than Mason-Dixon (except for maybe Lou and Rick), so a second M-D race was suggested for late October. Rick Covalt said the track (and he) could make this happen. Other locations (Pittsburgh, Maple Grove (PA), Lebanon Valley (NY), Cecil County) were suggested, but we would need someone up near those track to coordinate. We are open to ideas here.

Another Midwest race might also be a possibility (Mike Evans in Cedar Falls, IA??) but we have no info at this point.

RULE CHANGE DISCUSSION AND VOTES:

I would like to start by saying that it is a top priority to keep Eastern and Western Slant 6 racing rules the same. This allows us to come up with a true National Champion at the end of each year, and have all of the records remain national records. This is a bit complicated given our large separation and somewhat different racing styles and tracks, but I think it is worth staying on the same page.

1) Regarding the rule on points that has the race winner being guaranteed the # of points from last year's race:

This rule was deemed to be out of date and is no longer apparently encouraging race participation. We made this rule back in 2003 or so to encourage people (top points seekers) to go to small races.

The Eastern racers voted unanimously to drop this rule and make all points gathered depend only on the number of cars at a given race. This is in full agreement with the Western vote.

2) Regarding "bonus points" awarded to racers who break a SSRN record:

A long discussion ensued, with 2-3 motions proposed then dropped. In order to balance bracket racers' concerns that someone might set and re-set records by a little bit to bring their points total up (Mark, Lou, Ryan C, Charlie, others?), we found that the following rule makes the most sense:

A driver will get 5 bonus points (toward their year-end point total) for setting a record at any official Slant 6 race. However, this 5 pts will only be awarded once per year, per driver (not for each record or for different class records). So, you get a substantial benefit for setting one SSRN record per year, but cannot make huge gains by setting multiple records. We also discussed 1-2 pts per class per year (for each driver), which might be workable as well.

We hope to use the 5 pt bonus rule this year and try it out, and we can revisit this issue next year. All Eastern racers voted unanimously to approve this new rule. This is in accordance with the large majority of Western racers.

3) Regarding the number of possible races to count for points, and "best of X number of races to count as your year-end point total:

Since we have gone to almost all 2-day race weekends, we believe the "best 4 of 7" rule from years past is out of date. It is quite reasonable for folks to make 6 races (on 3 weekends) and be competitive with a higher possible race count. The East voted unanimously to allow as many races as one can attend to count for points, and take the best 5 to get your points total for the season. This is in accordance with the large majority of Western racers. There were several instances in the East when people did not attend races at the end of the year, or were asking themselves why they were bothering, since they had to drop other races in order to count points. We do NOT want to discourage racers from attending as many races as possible, and attending 10 races is way easier than ever before with the new 2-day races. Plus, both the East and West each have 10 races (on 5 weekends) this season, so there is an even number of possible races to attend on both ends of the country. We are happy to revisit this rule again next year if it is not working well.

4) Regarding the setting of 1/8th mile SSRN records:

Why did we initiate 1/8th mile records? The main reason: to encourage race attendance. Using "splits" of 1/4 mile timeslips to count as 1/8th mile records does nothing to accomplish this, plus there is no way for a person at an 1/8 mile race to set a 1/4 mile record too with one timeslip.

All racers in the East voted to keep 1/8th mile record setting as it is, and not allow "splits" to count as 1/8th mile records. This is in accordance with the vast majority of Western racers. It is simple to get an 1/8 mile race at most 1/4 mile tracks (all of them I have seen), so we suggest that if folks are interested in setting 1/8 mile records, they should get their race coordinator to set up 1 day 1/8 mile and 1 day 1/4 mile on a race weekend. If you have never run 1/8 mile, you might really like it. I was skeptical at first (2002), but now I really don't care which I run.

In good faith, this year we in the East are looking at running either Mason-Dixon or Clay City as 1/8 mile one day and 1/4 mile the other. We sincerely hope that 1-2 of the Western races will do the same in order to allow folks to set 1/8 mile records out West.

Thanks very much to all and here's to a great 2012 season!!

Lou

Last edited by Dart270 on Sat May 26, 2012 9:04 am, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:53 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model:
Thanks for posting!

Digesting all this now :-)

Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:21 am 

Car Model:
I have revised the rule changes and race date info. I welcome feedback and discussion!

Thanks,

Lou

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:39 am 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Car Model: More cars than sense...
Hey Lou,

I'm happy with all of the changes. Thanks for heading this up!

I think 2012 will be a great year of Slant 6 Drag Racing!! :D

I’m Mater
The Kentucky Poser

Post subject: rule changes
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:16 pm 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
thanks for posting. Looks good. PJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:03 pm 

Car Model:
Thanks, PJ and Rob!

Lou

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:30 am 

Car Model:
Bump.

Can someone make this a sticky?

Thanks,

Lou

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:03 pm 
Board Sponsor & SL6 Racer

Car Model: 65 Valiant 2Dr Post
Quote:
Can someone make this a sticky?

How about 2 stickies? Separate out the 2012 east coast Schedule in one

And place the "rules" change in another so people will be able to find them easily.

Rick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:11 pm 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Car Model: More cars than sense...
Good idea. The newest rules should be posted as their own sticky.

I’m Mater
The Kentucky Poser

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:04 pm 

Car Model: 68 Valiant
I heard from Mike Evans this morning. It appears that Cedar Falls is the same weekend as Clay City.

I'm sure that a couple people will go to Clay City rather than Cedar Falls. Cedar Falls is a bunch closer for me, so that is where I'll go for sure. :oops:

If you want to try something else for a "National" meet with no conflicts I can try and get us a date down at No Limit in Morrocco, IN.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 9:21 am 

Car Model:
BUMP

With new race info on Knoxville (Aug 3-4) and 2nd M-D race (Oct 27-28 most likely).

Lou