Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:02 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: Injector size
PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:31 am 
Supercharged

Car Model:
Now that the engine is NA all the way, I am thinking it would idle better with smaller injectors. The current ones are 36lbs/hr. I am told a stock small block chevy has 19lb injectors in it. Any thoughts on that?

It would be a bit of a pain to change them out as I would have to remap the VE table. I suppose good fueling could be achieved by simply changing the req fuel number.

Car is back together and being driven again. Thanks again Reed for the hood hinges. They work fine.

Sam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:18 am 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model:
I would look for 24 lbs/hr or similar, so you can allow for upgrades. That's what I ran in the 68 Dart before the turbo. Let me know if you want to sell or trade your 36 lb/hr injectors... I could trade you the lightly used 24s I have.

However, you should have no trouble using those 36s with MSII due to it's higher pulse width resolution, and then if you want to convert back to turbo it will be a snap.

Lou

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:17 am 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
Look at your pulse widths - off the top of my head (don't quote me here, a search would be prudent) the minimum should be around 2ms, any lower would mean erratic injector behavior. Probably varies among injector types.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:13 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model:
It idles at around 1.6 ms. It will actually cruise at 1400 rpm in 4th gear on level ground at under 2 ms. I think they are just too big.
Sam

Last edited by Sam Powell on Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:15 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model:
Lou, if we can get together this summer, I will be happy to just make the swap then. I'll trade you even up.
Sam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:39 pm 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model:
Sounds good to me!

Lou

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:07 am 
Supercharged

Car Model:
If your 24's are not in use, send them to me, and I will send you the 36's back. Thanks.

What are the thoughts on the best process for changing the tune to accommodate the smaller injectors. The current req fuel is 18 which seems like a big number to me. I would have to up it by 33% to 24 to get equivalent fueling. In all the examples I have looked at, I have never seen that big a number. In theory it seems it should work. Does anybody know?

I am using TunerStudio,which has a * icon on the VE edit screen. I imagine that is a way of changing the entire screen by a multiplier. I have not fooled with that yet. I am always a little afraid to toy with a working set up until I absolutely must. After I get the injectors changed I will play with it and see what I can get. The largest VE number right now is 58. It seems like making the VE numbers larger and keeping the req-fuel number smaller is preferable, but I have no real reason for thinking that. I have not read anywhere that this is so. Thanks for any insight offered.
Sam