Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:37 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: EFI fuel line setup
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 2:18 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model: 1965 Barracuda 'S' auto
I was at the boneyard looking for some ideas on how OEM ran their fuel lines. Ford Trucks run an external walbro style pump and have semi hard lines running inside the frame rail, but I found something alot easier to use. A Volvo 850 (dont know what year but probably 10 years old) has a 2 foot hard line running from the tank under the rear seat to a hanging "basket" which holds the external Walbro style pump, a canister fuel filter, and all the connectors. Best thing is that it uses a high pressure rubber hose from the filter all the way to the fuel rail and its only held in by 3 plastic clips that you can pop with a screwdriver, then the entire 6 foot piece comes out once you cut it at the rail fitting. Add a few hose clamps and you could have your entire high pressure feed in one shot. The basket is held on by 3 12mm bolts and is fully insulated from pump vibration by its rubber insulators. Bolt her to the pan and run your tank line to the pump inlet. youll still need a return line from fuel rail, you can T that into the feed line. If you dont know HP EFI fuel line is like $3 a foot and an entire run from the in tank pump could put you out over $30 easily.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 3:04 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 76 D100
I plan on using the late 80s-mid-90s Ford Econoline system. THe system has a low pressure pump in the tank (which I dont think I am going to use) and a high pressure pump with high efficiency filter bolted to the frame rail. The system is a fuel return system so I will have to plumb a return line, but if I grab the lines from a junked van I will have plenty of length. The highpressure pump and fuel filter are a separate unit that bolts to the frame pretty much right below the driver's door with something like two easily accessible bolts. A very compact package that should be able to mount easily even on an A body. It sounds very similar to the Volvo system you found.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:02 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
Quote:
THe system has a low pressure pump in the tank (which I dont think I am going to use)

If you want to go that route then try mounting the external pump very close to the tank & use a pickup sock - feed hose to the pump inlet with low restriction. I used to see those external pumps fail on Fords & euro-cars fairly soon after the in-tank "lift" pump died.