Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:52 am

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 2:48 am 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Car Model: More cars than sense...
I needed a distraction today, so wandered around the forum for awhile...

The last 4 years that I have been posting these "Championship" threads they have had 6,000-9,000 views...

This year there aren't even a third of that with just a couple races left... :(

The racer turnout is roughly the same as prior years...

Any ideas why there is less interest this year...? :?

I’m Mater
The Kentucky Poser

Last edited by Rob Simmons on Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 4:47 am 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model:
Thanks for the stats, Rob. I've noticed this too, in general on the site. Something for all of us to ponder.

We should ALL be looking to encourage new people into our engine fanaticism and the racing series...

Slant on, everyone!

Lou

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:25 am 
Board Sponsor & SL6 Racer

Car Model: 65 Valiant 2Dr Post
I don't mean to be a pessimist but I think we are going to see less and less enthusiasm for our series in the upcoming years. Our group is aging and with rare exceptions they are not being replaced. It is getting harder and harder to find a 50 year old car that is in decent shape that does not cost a fortune. That is just how it is. I think it will get harder and harder to get new people to join us. Hopefully we will still be racing when I pass off the scene. Maybe my grandchildren will pick up the bug. I hope we have a good turn out for our last 2 race of the year.

Rick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:55 am 

Car Model:
I was trying to avoid saying those things out loud, Rick, but hey you went for it. I agree with a lot of what you said. We should start a new thread (or calve this one off) to discuss what is happening and what to do...

Some of us were discussing this at Bristol. For many racers, the recession is not over and may not be for ???

Thanks,
Lou

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:12 am 

Yes can a Mod please split this off into a new thread for further discussion?Thank You! Didn't mean to cause any problems. :oops:
Rick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 6:34 am 

Not sure that I am a pessimist at all. More of a realist. So maybe the title of the thread should be " The question Rob asked that he didn't want an answer too" :lol: :lol:

Truth is, no one gets more excited about seeing new cars and new racers, records broken, and new innovations than I do. I can't wait until Will gets his Turbo sorted out. I wish we had more info about the Davis engine...etc. I also will be excited to bolt in a new big bore motor with my Jeffrey Head and a 4 speed in my car and click off some 12 second runs. But there are just a handful of us that feel this way.

Not sure I know the answer. But I will keep inviting people and encouraging them to come out. Maybe if one of you hits the lottery we can start paying show up money! :lol:

Rick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:34 am 

Car Model:
I would never call Rick a pessimist. If he sees a problem here, it most likely exists, knowing his rosy outlook!

What can we do? Loan out racecars, pay entry fees, find young people in your family or among friends? Some of us are doing this, but who knows how much this helps.

Let's get some ideas going!

One idea is decreasing the number of races to build up car count and interest at each race.

Cheers,

Lou

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:11 am 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Car Model: More cars than sense...
I didn't choose the title of this spin off thread! :shock:

I was just the guy that asked the question... Yeesh!! :lol:

We have about the the same number of Rookies this year as well.

If/when I ever get back to the states I will do my part to recruit and encourage new racers.

I’m Mater
The Kentucky Poser

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:32 am 

Car Model: 68 Valiant
For myself, I just don't have the available vacation time to travel to weekend races anymore. I get 3 weeks, but have to take 2 as full weeks, so that kills taking Friday and Monday to travel.

I will say that I have pulled the Daytona up into the "work" slot at the Skunkworks and have started ordering parts again. I am hoping to have it making noise by the time cold weather gets here.

I can tell you that in the Midwest Slants are getting very thin. Cars are just too hard to find anymore because of rust, and the relatively low cost to swap in a pig block. I'm even doing a 340 swap on my Duster because it will be cheaper in the long run than building another good Slant.

I talked to a guy at our club swap meet who was all excited about doing a motor for his son's car. Called him and left him a message about some parts he wanted and never heard back.

I do kinda miss the old days when we had all the friendly rivalries going, and were pushing each other to go faster. The cars and racing were cool, but we built even better friendships. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:07 am 

I am setting at the beach reading old SSRN magazines. I think all of Seymour's work on the magazine was a big encouragement to others to try and join in with all the fun people were having. I know the internet is great but I prefer the printed page for sure.

We (Covalt's) have always loaned our vehicles and tried to get the car counts up that way. Hopefully Ryan will get his fleet back up and running soon. :lol:

I know we have talked about it before but it would be really nice to have a big sponsor for our series.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:59 am 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Car Model:
I am probably done racing in the series. The traveling is getting too hard for me at my age (73). Plus the expense. Then my wifes medical problems ( in hospital twice in the last 3 weeks, for CHF).

64 Valiant Signet
64 Valiant 4dr 170

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:45 am 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model: Toad Wagon
I'm only a left-coaster, and haven't the travel money to participate, but would like to voice an opinion, none the less.

I don't see it as pessimism. Rather pragmatism, in as much as the points made already are true across the board for drag racing (and older eras of other racing as well).

Time has relegated our era of tin to it's earned niche, and we join the other eras in that. We won't disappear, but, nor will we be more than a reflection of what brought us here, just as other forms and eras of the sport are today.

Flathead clubs endure, Inliners Int still breathes, Forever Fours still puts on their meets, and thus will slants go. We're obviously on that road, and perhaps we're there already, simply only now having to face it. I can't nail down exactly where we are, but can plainly see the pattern of it, having seen it before.

The races will devolve of course, in fairly direct ratio. But at some point they will stabilize, at that same ratio, with whatever level of interest comes to be the norm.

So, pessimists? I disagree.
Pragmatists, yes.

Disclaimer ......
This has been a personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect this board's operating practices. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:02 pm 

Sorry to hear about Peg having problems. This getting old stuff ain't that much fun.

Rick, as far as sponsorship goes that is a tough nut to crack. You have to find someone who loves Slants with no need of monetary return. Maybe the guy who finally does the alloy heads will sponsor us too. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:10 am 

It seems to me that there are a lot of former racers that do not race anymore. Has anyone asked why they gave up racing with us? I sure there is lot of different reasons, but is there a common denominator?

Rick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:58 am 

Old age, health, the economy/job changes, and just plain burnt out would be the top 4 I would guess.