Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:46 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:42 am 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
I've been lurking on here for the better part of 10 years while life did it's thing, all the while planning my fuel injection and collecting parts. I finally have the opportunity to get my conversion going.

I will be posting my progress on creating a sheet metal intake and installing coil near plug with the GM D585 coils in this thread. My final setup will include an MS3-Pro running sequential fuel and spark as well as a HX35 turbo with a goal to make in the low 300HP range.

My plan with the intake is to machine flanges with the injector bung built in that transition from the rectangular shape to 1.75" round tube over 2" or so. The round tubes will weld to a machined plenum base with either flush or raised bellmouths; I haven't decided. I waiting to consult a CFD friend. I'm willing to trade a few HP for less complexity though.

The design is still in flux, although I'm hoping to nail it down and start cutting parts in the next couple weeks. If you have any questions or design suggestions, I'm all ears! The throttle body is centered in the plenum because I'd like to add A/C and I think the log style with the TB on the end would make intake plumbing a nightmare.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:13 am 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
Here is what I'm thinking for coil near plug. I purchased some D585 coils for use with the MS3-Pro logic level signals. I found that they fit decently in some Ford Escape boots that I pulled from my wife's car. However, the number 6 cylinder doesn't fit with the transmission dip stick tube, so I'm leaning towards coil near plug and running plug wires.

Here is a picture of the bracket I drew up last night.
It attaches to the valve cover bolts. I'm going to make a cardboard mockup to make sure it fits before having one made.

That reminds me, if you see anything that I'm making that you think you'd like for your build, please let me know! When I'm machining pieces or having one made, like the bracket, the prices go way down as I add quantity.

Here are a couple coil pictures. Don't mind the rusty engine; I pulled it out from behind the shed to use for mocking up parts. The Escape coil would fit really nice and it could probably be used with the transmission dip stick, but I didn't want to buy coil igniters as well as coils.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 5:39 am 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model:
Cool project. I will contemplate this. I might use tubes about 2-4" longer and put the TB flange on the front of that box (front of engine bay). Any way you will be able to easily make those injector/port sections in distributable/saleable quantities? I assume CAD/CNC in aluminium...

Lou

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 2:49 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
Look through the final pages of this thread for sheet metal intake ideas.

http://slantsix.org/forum/viewtopic.php ... sc&start=0

Will

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 3:10 pm 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
Will,

I just skimmed through that whole thread. Very cool project!

Lou,

That is the idea. Virtually everything that I'm going to make for my car I'm going to offer to make extras for people to purchase. Not only will that help offset my own build cost, but it will help more people get some of the harder parts to make for their builds.

The handy thing about the way I'm making the flanges to work with cut to length tubes it that you can make the runners any length you want. If you wanted to build a plenum with the throttle body on the end, I could sell you the flanges and the plenum base and you could build the plenum.

I am looking at the center mounted throttle body because I would like to add A/C down the road. My original thought was to make the runners and a plate on the plenum side that would allow you to bolt on the intake plenum for the Supra. There are tons of the aftermarket log style plenums for the Supra on eBay.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 3:46 pm 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
I just realized that I could have the flange bolt cutouts on either side of the flange so I didn't have to have a left and right version. Duh....

[img][img]http://i1053.photobucket.com/albums/s476/Casey_Fordyce/Intake%20Assembly-4_zpsqrhljfxv.jpg[/img][/img]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 6:18 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model:
Quote:
cut to length tubes

consider constructing the injector boss's and plenum connectors to accept removable rigid hoses as the connector between the two sections.

something like this;
http://www.siliconehose.com/1-750-id-si ... lue-color/

the high end silicone hose products can handle 500 F continuous

that way folks could custom tune the runner by changing connector hose lengths...

would require bosses on the plenum to mount supports- brackets.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:18 am 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
You could do that by just welding short sections of the 1.75OD aluminum tube and sliding the 1.75ID silicone tube over it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:04 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 64 Plymouth Valiant
The inside of those hoses look corrugated, which would be terrible for air flow.......

8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:46 pm 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model: 68 Valiant
I believe Cameron Tilley did a tube/hose into a collector flange intake 20 years or so ago. He made huge power with it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:23 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model:
using hose as adjustable runner lengths may go back to the early Ramchargers and the High and the Mighty

https://www.google.com/search?q=high+an ... 4c9lQFM%3A

it was common on Indy Offys from the late 50's to tune engine's torque curve until turbo's took over.

the slant complicates the concept due to the non cross flow head,, however there are modern silicon-nomex materials that will survive that environment.