Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:35 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: Ziptie Drags
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:15 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model: 69 Valiant
Well it's been a while since I've posted anything oy oln here. Hope all the folks I know on this site are doing well.

I haven't been doing much of any drag racing for a few years. It seems like the kids take up all my time. My oldest will be graduating high school after this coming year(I didn't have any Kids when I went to my first Slant race). I still have the Valiant and it still runs and drives good. The body is showing some wear and tear but it wouldn't take too much to get it back in shape. If there was a slant race close I would take it there. Mo-Kan is the closest, but the date never works well for me.

Anyway, I was curious if anyone on the site has heard of or is going to the Roadkill Ziptie drags at Gateway Motorsports Park in St. Louis? I watch their youtube channel and think they've got a pretty cool thing going. They always have lots of Mopar cars on their show unlike most other shows. The date for this event is September 14-15. They always have alot of unique things on their show and at their last event they had some pretty cool cars there. Slant cars seem to fit the bill because they're unique so I'm taking mine. It's all just for fun and it's not too expensive to go for 2 days($40).

Also, If anyone would be interested in another Midwest Slant Race, there's an 1/8 mile track near Benton Illinois called I57 dragstrip. The folks that run it are pretty nice and I'm sure it wouldn't be too difficult to get a race date for next year. Let me know if there's some interest and I'll check with them.

Thanks,

Joel Harris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:08 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
Glad to see you are still around and we would be interested in another midwest slant race. I bet you could get a pretty good car count.

Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:41 am 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model:
Nice to hear from you, Joel. We may have met at Clay City the first year I raced with the Slants? Welcome back. Those event are a bit far from me, but I am a Midwesterner (Madison, WI), so I am always looking to attend a race out there someday (again)...

Mark is probably right that you could get a decent turnout. Start planning ahead and we can discuss this at the Eastern Banquet. I see no reason not to do another Midwest race if you can host/plan it.

All the best,

Lou Madsen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:58 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
Hi Joel, it's been a long time. When I first started building my street-strip car you were my idol, I am still running the Air-Tex fuel pump that you recommended. I don't travel as much as I used to but the event in St. Louis looks interesting. The Road Kill guys are the same ones that put together the original Drag Week and that was really fun. As I remember you were a pretty good driver, I think I remember you being in several final rounds. Ron Hamby still remembers how you helped him win one of his many National Championships when you came up with a new front pump and helped him put it in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:55 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model:
Zip tie would bee cool. I just missed one at summit motorsports park... only 3 hours from me.

Otherwise i am sticking to slant racing and maybe some local racing as well.

Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:37 pm 
SSRN National Champion

Car Model:
Good to hear from you Joel. I still think about your hard work into the wee hours getting my tranny back together with your front pump. I will forever be indebted to you. Can you believe the old used pump is still hanging in there this many years later. I look forward to seeing you again.

Ron

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:27 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model: 69 Valiant
Good to hear from you and all the others. Ron, I'm glad the pump is still holding up.

It would be really neat to see several slants at the ziptie drags. it would be even better to see some really fast ones there. I think it would be a good chance for some national exposure. Roadkill is part of the Motortrend group of which HotRod magazine is a part. They built a performance slant a couple years ago and just did a bunch of intake and exhaust manifold testing back in May. I think some fast slants could catch their eye.

Back to the slant race subject, I think I57 dragstrip would be able to add us to their program during the Street Machine Nationals next year. I just went there 2 weeks ago when they had their Saturday night race. They skipped their regular program weekend and had open Superpro, Pro, and footbrake ET races. They also had a heads up class which was the most exciting one. They also had test and tune plus a couple of exhibition dragsters. I don't know how that would tie in with other slant races around the country. It's usually the the 3rd weekend in June.

If anyone has any thoughts/suggestions, just let me know.

I have a couple other questions on rods and pistons that I'll post in the engine section.

Thanks,

Joel