Slant Six Forum,  Forum Index
Home Slant Six Forum,  Forum Index Log in Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Click here to make a donation to the Slant Six Forum!

Mason Dixon Fall 2017 Oct 7th & 8th
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Slant Six Forum, Forum Index -> Event Calendar
Select message display options:             View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dart270
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Post subject: (Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:11 am) Reply with quote

Just come home to Blacksburg. Unloaded car and got it into the garage. Excellent day of racing. Lots of great folks and storeis, going until about 9 PM after the racing ended (promptly, Elmer!) at 5 PM. Thanks to all for coming and making this a success.

Another season into the history books (or, um, website threads)...

Big congrats to RICK and PHIL for their race wins.

Thanks also to the Covalts and the Droshaks for feeding us in good style!

I have some tuning to do on Project V, but was pretty happy with 13.9 - 14.0 runs and a couple of round wins. Nice to have the car out again.

Warmest wishes,

Lou

Rick Covalt
Board Sponsor

Post subject: (Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:21 am) Reply with quote

As you all know we ran 2 races Saturday due to the rain that was coming. We made the right call because they did cancel this morning. I will say that this was the fastest 2 races I have ever been to. We would no sooner get back to the pits and they were calling us back up. To make it worse I pulled my car off the trailer and apparently left the switch on (again!) and blew up the coil. So I was working on the car with some great helpers, trying to get it ready to race. Patti was not there so I was trying to get the food in order, to which I didn't do a very good job. But I don't think anyone starved.
A special thanks to Melissa Droschak! Without her help I would have been lost. Things were moving so fast and she took care of pulling both ladders for me, and letting everyone know who they raced, and getting all their times. Thanks Melissa!! Laughing Laughing

As we said before we had 10 cars when we started race one. Ken Anderson drove his 69 Dart up from the DC area with 4.56 gears in it! He made some runs and then bent a pushrod. Since he had a long drive home he didn't make the call for round 1. Greg made it through round 2 and something was not right with the car and he didn't want to risk damaging something so he was done for the day.

Race one came down to myself in my 65 Valiant, dialed 13.50 and Derrick Sword in his 68 (I think) Valiant dialed at 18.50. I ran a 13.59 to his 18.52 but had a better light at .089 to.186 and took the win.

Race 2 was down two 8 cars with the final coming down to Ryan Covalt in his Purple Duster against Phil Stoneback in his Green convertible. Phil dialed a 19.30 and ran a 19.284 to Ryan's 18.057 on a 18.12 dial in. A double break-out with the win going to Phil! Congrats to everyone!!
I was rooting for Ryan to win so that we could get a double photo of a father / Son in the winners circle together. Well matbe next year!

Dan Gravatt drove my pickup and got special permission to allow his daughter Mandi, who is 14, to ride down the track with him. Trying to get the next generation excited about racing with us. I think she enjoyed it.

One other super major accomplishment was the resetting of the World's fastest Slant 6 powered vehicle. Will Burns Cuda is now only the 2nd fastest car in the world, and his record was shattered by a 85 Dodge D100 4X4 with a motor I put together myself last Fall. Andrew Shank dumped the clutch on the high performance NP435 tranny and knock down a 22 second ET, but he must have been going much faster than it looked, because when he got back to the tower the time slip said the MPH was 209 !!! Certainly a new record that should stand for a long long time. What makes this more impressive is that this was done on all motor, with no power adders! Time slips are on the way to Seymour for verification! Laughing Laughing

Thanks again to all who came and all who helped me this weekend. I really appreciate it.

Rick

PS. There was also a great deal of excitement in the air about the Clay City racer's reunion coming up next fall. Stay tuned for lots of details.

Last edited by Rick Covalt on Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Rick Covalt
Board Sponsor

Post subject: (Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:32 am) Reply with quote

Here are the points from the 2 races. Only 5 attendance points for the day.
Please let me know if you see something wrong. Rob will update the standings shortly!

Race #1

Rick Covalt..........45
Derrick Sword......35
Greg Ondayko......25
Brian Droschak.....15
Lou Madsen..........15
Andrew Shank.......5
Ryan Covalt...........5
Ken Anderson........5
Phil Stoneback.......5
Dan Gravatt...........5

Race #2

Phil Stoneback.......30
Ryan Covalt...........20
Brian Droschak......10
Lou Madsen...........10
Dan Gravatt...........0
Rick covalt.............0
Derrick Sword........0
Andrew Shank........0

Ron Hamby
SSRN National Champion

Post subject: (Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:15 pm) Reply with quote

Congrats Rick and Phil, Glad everyone had a good race weekend.

Ron and Kay

Select message display options:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Slant Six Forum, Forum Index -> Event Calendar All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: