Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:28 am

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:51 pm 
1 BBL (New)

Car Model: Valiant 63
My little girl just bought her first car 64 Valiant . we need help in rebuilding and redoing the engine, switching to dual master, adding disc brakes if needed. we also need upholstery , looking to maintain the original look as much as makes sense from the point of safety. my number is 310 748 1110 joe , im in the los angeles / la crescenta area.

Attachments:
IMG_9495.jpg
IMG_9495.jpg [ 171.73 KiB | Viewed 6945 times ]
IMG_9484.jpg
IMG_9484.jpg [ 175.06 KiB | Viewed 6945 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:05 pm 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model:
Looks cool! Congrats to you and your daughter.

If the engine is in decent shape, you might want to simply do a heavy tune up and a couple of upgrades and run it. Rebuilding an engine can introduce new problems. My first thoughts on tuning and upgrading the engine: adjust valve lash, install electronic ignition of some kind, adjust timing and carburetor.

Disc brakes and good wheels and tires are excellent upgrades for safety and handling.

All the best,

Lou

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:10 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 76 D100
Hello and welcome! I have a soft spot for 64 Valiants. My first project car was a 64 Valiant Signet. There are ots of very friendly and helpful people here who will be happy to help you and your daughter improve her new ride.

You should look at the stickies in each section for commonly asked and answered questions. There is much good information there.

If I were building a 64 Valiant for my daughter and wanted to improve its safety, I would do the following:

(1) upgrade to front disc brakes. This will likely require changing to a 8 1/4 rear axle to get a wheel bolt pattern that matches the front discs.

(2) Upgrade to 14, 15, or even 16 inch wheels. you will likely be getting new wheels anyway since switching to disc brakes will almost certainly require changing the wheel bolt pattern. Upgrading to 14, 15, or 16 inch rims will imrpove your choices of tires and will increase handling and safety.

(3) install frame and body stiffeners. Firm Feel sells kits to stiffen the body. I would get their most expensive kit and install it all. The kits add rigity and strength to the unibody structure o these cars.

(4) upgrade to electronic ignition. The HEI swap is simply, reliable, and the best ignition upgrade you can do.

(5) upgrade the exhaust. install a 2 1/4 pipe to the muffler and 2 inch pipe after the muffler. Use a free flowing muffler.

(6) upgrade the alternator to a dual-field alternator with a solid state voltage regulator. Better still, upgrade to a later model Nippondenso alternator for improved idle alternator output.

(7) upgrade the headlights to at least new GE Nighthawk halogen bulbs and upgrade the dash and exterior lighting to new and modern bulbs and clean housings. Don't forget lens integrity.

(8) add a third brake light.

Post more pictures! We all enjoy pictures.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:31 pm 
Contributor

Car Model: 1964 Valiant convertible 225 automatic
Attachment:
64 Valiant convertible.jpg
64 Valiant convertible.jpg [ 152.29 KiB | Viewed 6935 times ]
I'm in agreement with both Lou and Reed on basic improvements. I did most of them on my '64 200 convertible, but I went overboard in a few other things.

Not needed, but I replaced the rear end with an A-body 8-3/4, only because I got a great buy on the housing. I also replaced the complete interior with stock colors, but added Chrysler Sebring power bucket seats and a custom built console. Another extravagance for a convertible is the Vintage Air A/C system. The suspension was all upgraded to the V8 parts, including torsion bars. With all the new parts and a Firm Feel stage I power steering box, I can honestly say it's as solid and quiet as a low-mileage late model convertible

My choice for an electronic ignition was the Mopar Performance version, but I replaced the MP orange box with a stock unit for better reliability.

Attachments:
Valiant interior 2018.jpg
Valiant interior 2018.jpg [ 185.33 KiB | Viewed 6934 times ]