Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:57 am

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:12 am 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
Has anyone tried to swap out all of those little bulbs on the cluster to the LED type? Do they even make them that small?? I am hoping it might give a little more light to the overall dash at night. I am talking about those small bulbs that twist into the cluster. I think there is 6 of them.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:02 am 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
I got mine from SuperbriteLED.com and they work great. I got tired of ripping the dash apart to change the bulbs so I went LED. Mine do not dim, however. But since no one else drives it, it's no big deal.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:43 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
Shop carefully; most of what's on the market is junk, including almost everything sold by the outfit coconuteater mentions. The consequences of buying junk are a lot less with dash/interior lights than with exterior (safety) lights where you must not use junk unless you want to get hit in traffic, but still, if you're going to do a job it's worth using the best available parts. See here.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:25 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 64 Plymouth Valiant
FYI:

LED bulbs are directional.

Insert bulb one way and it doesn't work, flip connections, it does work.................

8)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:31 am 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
Great advice. I found a few of the lights down at Autozone, $10 ea. yikes. I bought 3. Lifetime warranty. strange how they package them. I wanted 158, which they had 2 of, but then they had 194 which interchange for 158, and 168. ?? Guy at the counter said they are exact same lights, just packaged as different numbers for who knows why? I was able to pop in one light near the ammeter and it certainly makes the cluster brighter/whiter. I will prolly leave the old lights in the turn indicator and the Hi Beam, but replace the others.
They are the sylvania Zevo super bright 6000k.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:08 am 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
You're better off using the amber ones rather than the white ones. Dashboard illumination, especially white/blue, even though it doesn't cause a painful glare reaction, can really do a job on your ability to see what you need to see out on the road while driving at night.

158 was the old shorter-life version of 194; these two put out the same amount of light. 168 puts out more light. The same LED bulb services all three of these, plus W3W and W5W and a few others.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:49 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model: 67 dart 2 door hardtop
I have green (dimmable) LED's in my '67 dart cluster and they are great. I had some cheaper crap LED's in there, and not only did they not dim, but they emitted a "hazy" light, it looked like my cluster instruments were out of focus (I thought my eyes were going bad for a bit there). I swapped to the dimmable LED's and they are crisp and clear, and I like the look very much. The light is omnidirectional, not patchy in the cluster.

Can't recall what brand, but I can look it up if anyone is interested. Might have been superbrightLED's not sure at the moment. The cheapies were way less expensive, but you get what you pay for.

Brian

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:51 pm 
Turbo EFI

These are what I have: https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinf ... t-car/206/

brian

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:09 pm 
Turbo EFI

Sorry, final data points. These have been in my dash for 5 years, no problems yet.

Dan can tell you, this vendor is fine for interior lighting, but for exterior, go with a reputable brand like Phillips or others he recommends.

Brian

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:16 am 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
'67 Dart 270 wrote:

Same here. Plenty bright, kinda blue more than white, but not overpowering. I also have a superbrightleds tag light. I just got tired of changing out those 194 bulbs.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:56 am 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
Also for the record, the Sylvania Zevo mini leds are bright and they Dim. I would assume that most the light that these put out will ultimately be bluish since they are covered by a blue plastic cup on the cluster board.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:13 am 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
If you have LED's and you have fitted an after market cruise control, will they "turn-off" the cruise control unit - like what happens when you apply the brakes?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:41 am 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Car Model:
crickhollow wrote:
If you have LED's and you have fitted an after market cruise control, will they "turn-off" the cruise control unit - like what happens when you apply the brakes?

You're referring to LED stop light bulbs, right? Dash bulbs should have no effect on cruise control.

64 Valiant Signet
64 Valiant 4dr 170