Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:23 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:56 am 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model: 1974 Dart Swinger 225
:x So I dropped a valve cover bolt, one of the front ones on the outboard side by the ignition coil. It fell down past the coil and I heard it hit a couple of things on the way down. But it didn't hit the floor under the car (I'm sure of this because I moved the car to look). It can't be in the crankcase because the valve cover was still in place. If anyone has any idea where I should look for it, please advise. This is a '74 Dart with stock A-body suspension. I've already tried poking around with a magnet on a stick, but I clearly haven't poked in the right place.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:03 am 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
Try between the K member and the oil pan. You may need to jack up the car and prod with a long screw driver... Might be also stuck by the oil pump... or wedged at the
motor mount.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:27 am 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
…or shrug, smile, drop 37¢ at the hardware store for a bolt and flatwasher, and move on with life.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:00 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model: 1975 Dodge D100
Man, this reminds me of the time we lost a valve spring retainer during a cam swap in my son's C1500. The thing was violently launched from the valve spring compressor along with the spring. The spring was found after it ricocheted off the underside of the hood and landed nearby. We had to replace the retainer with one from a salvage yard after about a three hour search. Ten months and about 6,000 miles later we found the missing retainer hanging out between the transmission dipstick tube and the cooler lines.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:56 am 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model: 1974 Dart Swinger 225
DusterIdiot wrote:
Try between the K member and the oil pan.

Bingo. It was right there; how did I not see it before? Man, I love these interwebs.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:37 am 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
Random thought... the k-frame (not sure how this changes throughout the various versions) is made of two pieces of stamped steel welded together. There are holes that lead to the cavity in the middle. I've had stuff fall in these before.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:44 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model: 1964 Plymouth Valiant V200 Sedan
Every car has a black hole that attracts small parts and sockets.

1964 Valiant V200, 225/Pushbutton 904
BBD, CAI, HEI, LBP, AC, AM/FM/USB, EIEIO

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:03 pm 
Triple Duece Weber

Car Model: 1972 Dodge Colt
Has nothing to do with this, other than who knows what happens with parts. My friend was working on his GTO and he lost a small nut off the breaker plate. He looked for hours and was about to call it quits when his wife came out and looked behind the REAR tire and said, "Is this what you are looking for?" Now how does that happen?????

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:59 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
Or my favorite... during a wrenching session on the driveway inevitably a tool you just had in your hand a moment ago can't be found. It's usually something that can roll such as a screwdriver, socket, perhaps a nut. More often then not it's found on the street as it just so happened to have enough momentum to roll down the driveway and past the sidewalk.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:26 am 
Supercharged

Car Model:
Five years ago or so I had installed clear fuel bowl sight plugs on the Holley 390 thinking this would provide easier level checks and adjustments. Not long after, a month or so, I noticed one of these plastic plugs melting, not from heat but from the 10% ethanol, R & R them for the old screws, and dropping the driver's side plug into said part's black hole. Side note; passenger's side plastic plug had melted internally down the side of float bowl pooling on its floor and was dribbling fuel requiring a D & C (ask the ladies what that is). Really Holley; selling fuel soluble sight plugs, what a PIA.

Last month while dissembling intake & headers for head removal, there was that old clear float bowl plug sitting topside on oil pan flange just below starter; I had long forgotten dropping the damn thing, and had probably traveled 15,000 miles during that time span.

Never mind, how about never loosing a beer, but misplacing a screwdriver or such long enough to get another cold one delivered by the Mrs. late on the 24th while assembling the kids Christmas toys.

Murphy, LOL Got to love him.