Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:09 am

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:01 am 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
My head lights work, including high beam, rear tail and brake lights work, licence plate light works, front and rear indicators work, but my front park lights do not work.

Any clues to fix problem.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:52 am 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model:
What year/model of car? The front park lights do not come on when the headlights are on, on most Mopars. Maybe early/mid 70s they started doing that? I assume you mean you are pulling out the headlight switch to the first click (headlights are 2 clicks) and they still don't go on?

Lou

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:13 am 
Turbo EFI

Car Model: 67 dart 2 door hardtop
Also, check the ground wire on the harness, sometimes those are old and brittle break or come loose. b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:30 am 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
On (most) pre-1968 vehicles of any brand, the parking lamps only come on at the first click of the headlight switch; they do not remain lit when you pull it to the second click to turn on the headlamps. For 1968, this was changed so the parkers stay lit with the headlamps for safety (in case of a headlight burnout you still have at least some visible light on the burned out side of the car). This is easy to retrofit: remove the headlamp switch and unplug its multi-wire connector. Put a short piece of 18ga wire between from the "P" to the "R" terminals on the headlamp switch body, right down at the base of those terminals. Make sure the ends of the jumper are neatly tucked so they won't touch any adjacent terminals. Solder if you like. Then push the connector back onto the switch, on top of your new jumper wire which won't get in the way, and reinstall the headlamp switch. This will emulate the wiring setup of '68 and later cars that keep the parking lamps lit with the headlamps on.

Or if you don't want to put a jumper on the headlight switch, identify the wires that connect to those two terminals (P and R) and tap them together. It is best not (ever) to use the common fold-over-and-crunch Scotchlok type taps. Instead, use Posi-Taps. If you'll get this assortment you'll surely find uses for them (they're one of those products that you buy for a particular project, but then other uses for them keep popping up in front of you once you have them).

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:42 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
1961 valiant.

Park lights don't light on 1st pull of head light switch - head light switch is new.

Globes are ok, I will re-check earth (which I think is the problem).

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:02 am 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model: 1964 Dart 270
Make sure the bulbs are seated good and they are grounded good. I had a problem with one of my park lights and the housing wasn't making a good ground to the body.