Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:45 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:55 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model: 1974 W100; 72 Dart
Seems the newer style distributor hold down pieces are becoming rare as hen's teeth. Several members have stated willingness to loan the parts for a pattern to get a batch made.

So, my first ever post to this section is to see if anyone out there would be willing and able to measure/pattern and produce replicas of the newer style hold down. I will link to the "Part Wanted" thread about this deal.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=62451

sb

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:05 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
The pattern wont be the problem... the big cost will be the labor to do it, and the machine time/processing.

The originals are a 10 gauge stamped pattern part that was then put through a hydraulic press to form the end and the 'dip' in the fork
to make the hold down... then run through an ironman press to punch the bolt hole...

The next best way to go would be to have a buddy that does shop layout in a larger sheet metal shop to enter the pattern on their
plasma table and burn the bodies, then run then through a press brake, then you can run them through a wire wheel to take out the
rough edges and drill them...then owe your buddy the favor... otherwise you'd be into the layout and machine time for a few hours.

Next best is to get the pattern into cad and get to a facility with a laser table... but the prices here are about 3x the hourly rate
over the sheet metal shop rate...and you may need to meet a minimum production run

Most places may charge you for a full sheet of metal to cover material handling costs... and FYI, Steel and aluminum prices are going up due
to the tariffs and trade spats going on... last month the price on a 4'x10' sheet of 24 gauge galvanized iron we typically use for common ductwork
went up $4 a sheet in Oregon...all the sheet metal companies are bracing for another hike that will be 2-3x that amount...assuming you were buying
wholesale at least 10,000 lbs in sheets....

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:15 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 76 D100
How about a non-exact reprodution. Get a piece of flat steel and build up some weld beads to simulate the bends? Spend some time with a drill press hogging out the holes? As long as it will clamp and has the raised area in the correct places, it should work, right?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:25 am 
Turbo EFI

Car Model: 1965 Plymouth Belvedere I
These things don't have to be made from steel. I made my claw from a piece of 1/4" thick aluminum 'L' stock. I made the distributor plate from 1/8" aluminum plate. My 'machine shop' consist of a drill press and assorted sanders/grinders.
My distributor plate is odd shaped (compared to the original) because I (unintentionally) made the fingers of my claw a little wider that the original claw. This should be a relatively easy piece to make with proper equipment.
jus' sayin'

Attachment:
DistPlate.jpg
DistPlate.jpg [ 52.91 KiB | Viewed 9420 times ]
Attachment:
DistClaw.jpg
DistClaw.jpg [ 53.8 KiB | Viewed 9420 times ]
Attachment:
DistClaw2.jpg
DistClaw2.jpg [ 56.14 KiB | Viewed 9420 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:28 am 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
Quote:
These things don't have to be made from steel. I made my claw from a piece of 1/4" thick aluminum 'L' stock.

From the production standpoint: Aluminum costs more than steel in raw material if a run is made...but that is the least of the cost
of getting a run made.

If you make a one off using scrap like you did then it's just time served in the man cave... doing this in a production shop that has
overhead, labor and material... and say someone pops for a run of 100...and the labor rate for production is say $75-100/hr...
it will get expensive quick.

Another question to ask would be what people would pay for these if they wanted a few to have on hand... so you know the cost of the
expectation vs. the quote for a production run.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:13 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model: 1965 Plymouth Belvedere I
From a practical standpoint, the factory claw and the one I made are really overkill as far as holding the distributor in place. I am working on a "one finger" clamp that would be even simpler to make (but would still use the distributor ring).

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:50 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model:
ExOne in irwin pa can 3d print them in metal.

We would just need to draw up a solid model.stl file in inventor, solidworks, online editor etc.

I could attempt to tackle the 3d rendering of the part in cad/ inventor later in the year when i have time.

Then you guys who want the parts could take the solid model to your favorite cnc person or ExOne to have it 3d printed in metal.

If someone has a spare clawsfoot laying around.. and you could live without it for a few months send it to me... and I will digitize it for you.

Greg

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:35 pm 
Supercharged

Greg- I think I do. Let me dig in my garage and verify that I have both pieces

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:46 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model:
Cool reed.

Lemme know and then pm me and i will get you the post office info.

Greg

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:30 pm 
Supercharged

Shoot. I could have sworn that I had a set, but I can't find it. I found a smallblock claw, but no slant claw or ring. Sorry.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:18 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model: 1974 W100; 72 Dart
I am now the proud owner of two...might be able to get his project going.

sb