Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:03 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:07 pm 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Car Model: 1982 dodge ram
I finally trailered dads ole 1982 d150 home today.Its sat 2-3 years. Any helpful hints concerning prelube and such? I have most parts gathered for leanburn delete.
But would like to get it started first and also replace the clutch.

Last edited by ih61guy on Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:09 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model: 66 Valiant, 82 D150, 94 Ram 2500 TCD, 69 Dart
Congrats - I have the same truck, these things are most excellent.

I'd first change all the fluids and filters - oil & filter, radiator and back flush it, change fuel filter, change air filter, check all hoses for condition, check brake fluid.

Get the battery checked and charged/replaced as necessary.

Look for leaks everywhere. It may help to power wash or at least car-wash the engine bay and underside so if it's leaking you can see where it's coming from.

If the fuel is old drain it and replace.

Check tires and brakes. Fix or replace as necessary.

That said, being a slant you will probably need no more than a shot of starting fluid to get it going.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:12 am 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model: 1975 Dodge D100
halfafish wrote:
If the fuel is old drain it and replace.

X2
I found out the hard way that old gas can ruin your engine.
My D100 sat for about three years and most of the gas had evaporated from the tank so I just added about 5 gallons of fresh gas thinking the old junk would be diluted and be run out of the tank soon. Upon start up all was fine, I ran it about an hour with no issues. Came back the next weekend and the intake valves had seized in place. I wound up replacing all the pushrods and working to fee the stuck valves. :oops:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:10 am 
Board Sponsor

Car Model: 1984 D100 Shorty Custom
I second what was said above. In addition, if you want to be really nice to it, yard the spark plugs out, splash some ATF or Marvel Mystery oil in the cylinders, let it sit for an hour or so, then hit the starter and crank until you get oil pressure. You can typically hear when you start getting oil moving because the starter will slow slightly, indicating load.

Once it has pressure, stop spinning to let the starter cool off, then hit the starter again for about 20 seconds. That will ensure you at least have lube in the bottom end and on the cam. I would also suggest doing a cam break-in procedure once you get it started (2,000 and above mildly varying rpm for 20 minutes).

I also agree that it would probably just start with some carb spray and be fine... lol

~THOR~

Part of Tyrde-Browne Racing

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:42 am 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
THOR wrote:
I second what was said above. In addition, if you want to be really nice to it, yard the spark plugs out, splash some ATF or Marvel Mystery oil in the cylinders, let it sit for an hour or so, then hit the starter and crank until you get oil pressure. You can typically hear when you start getting oil moving because the starter will slow slightly, indicating load.

Once it has pressure, stop spinning to let the starter cool off, then hit the starter again for about 20 seconds. That will ensure you at least have lube in the bottom end and on the cam. I would also suggest doing a cam break-in procedure once you get it started (2,000 and above mildly varying rpm for 20 minutes).

I also agree that it would probably just start with some carb spray and be fine... lol

~THOR~

THIS. I started my Intrepid after a 7 year nap doing pretty much what Thor suggests. Beware, it may blow every hose once it warms up; this was the case with mine. Hot antifreeze hurts!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:00 pm 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Car Model: 1982 dodge ram
Thanks you all! I have new hoses and thermostat to install! Planning on oil change,pulling plugs to lube cylinders. Thinking of pulling valve cover and pouring couple qts of oil accross top side!
I have a new fuel pump to install after first start.
How should I drain url tank?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:00 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model: 1984 D100 Shorty Custom
Unless there is a bung that you can remove a plug from to drain it, the fastest way I've used is to hook up a small 12v electric fuel pump and suck it out.

~THOR~

Part of Tyrde-Browne Racing