Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:54 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:31 pm 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Car Model: More cars than sense...
Great weekend of drag racing at Mason-Dixon Dragway this weekend!! We had great weather and no rain. We were able to get both scheduled races plus the Clay City 1/8 mile make up race in.

We have a new leader for Rookie of the Year. Congratulations David Shank!!

We had another Rookie race with us for the first time as well. Welcome Angie Simmons!

Here are the updated points. More color commentary to follow...

I’m Mater
The Kentucky Poser

Post subject: Showdown in the Holler!!
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:20 pm 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

For several years Mason-Dixon Dragway in Maryland has been the spot of the last race of the season and where the National Championship is decided. All eyes are on that race to see who winds up on top. Other than those years where Ron Hamby has totally dominated things, of course! :wink:

With rain outs and rescheduled races this year, the final race for 2018 will be at Knoxville Dragstrip in Maynardsville, TN 26-27 October.

And there’s gonna be a “Showdown in the Holler” there in the Raccoon Valley!!

Ryan Covalt leads things with his baby blue ’62 Valiant, racking up 225 points with an impressive 0.5000 Performance Index and several re-set records his first year back with the Valiant! Seymour is surely proud to see Ryan doing so well in his old car.

The Poser from Kentucky, Rob Simmons, has been chasing Ryan and is within 30 points of catching him at 195. Rob has attended every race this year and gotten lucky a time or two. He hopes to set the open B/Nitrous record at Knoxville to gain those 20 bonus points. That would put him within striking distance.

Jackie Everhardt III is right on Rob’s heals with 170 and coming off a couple good showings at both Clay City and Mason-Dixon. He may also have the additional opportunity to finish up the last three rounds of the aborted Racer’s Reunion Race from Clay City if all 5 of the remaining racers make it to Knoxville. Jackie also plans to add 40 pounds to his D100 and re-set Ryan’s soft D/Nitrous record to grab those 20 bonus points.

Jackie Everhardt Jr. just edged out Rick Covalt for the 4th spot with the addition of 5 attendance points for staying over into Sunday at Clay City and help Ron Hamby load up. He plans to remove about 250 pounds from his Dart and add nitrous in an attempt to set the same B/Nitrous record Rob is shooting for.

Rounding out the Top 5 is Rick Covalt with 150 points. Rick did well at Mason-Dixon and plans to come to Knoxville hoping to climb back up the ladder and see his son, Ryan, win the Championship.

With things coming down to the wire at this last race of the season, we could have the largest car count at Knoxville in recent memory. Everyone wants to see who will be crowned the Champion for 2018. Come out and Run with the Slants!!

I’m Mater
The Kentucky Poser

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:36 pm 
Board Sponsor & SL6 Racer

Car Model: 65 Valiant 2Dr Post
Another little tidbit is I have 10 attendance points to gain and Ryan has 5 by coming to Knoxville. The other 3 in the top 5 have already tapped out their 60 point max for the year. So I'm gaining on you all by showing up. I guess if I'm gonna go for a championship I might as well bolt in the Nitrous Ryan has been trying to get me to put in for 5 years!! What record am I going for!!! :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:05 pm 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

You could go for Charlie's C/Nitrous 1/8 mile record of 7.911 @ 84.29 MPH or add some weight and go for Ryan's D/Nitrous 1/8 mile record of 10.6813 @ 65.91 MPH... :D

I’m Mater
The Kentucky Poser

Post subject: Raccoon Valley Rumble!!
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:19 am 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

As we prepare for the final showdown of 2018, here are how the points are looking for the top contenders and what we might expect. I posted something before, but this gets a little more specific so there are no surprises.

Attendance points (Max of 60):
Ryan Covalt = 45
Rob Simmons = 55
Jackie E. III = 50
Jackie E. Jr. = 55
Rick Covalt = 40

Over 5 Rule:
Ryan = 20 and 30 point races to replace
Rob = 10 and 20 point races to replace
Jack III = 10 and 20 point races to replace
Jack Jr. = Wins @ 4 and a 10 point race to replace
Rick = 10 and 10 point races to replace

So, what does all that mean?

Rob and Jackie E. Jr. only have 5 attendance points to gain before hitting their max. So the other three racers will gain 5 points on them.

Over 5 Rule: Once you’ve won rounds at 5 events you start giving up points. You use the points for your best 5 events only. Everyone except Jack E. Jr. has won rounds at 5 or more events.
Example: Ryan will have to win at least 3 rounds in order to replace his lowest 20 point race (30 – 20 = 10).

20 Bonus Record Points (once per year): Ryan has set and re-set several records this year, but the other four racers can gain 20 points at Knoxville. Rob is all set, Jackie III is adding 40 pounds to get into D class, Jackie Jr. is cutting out 250 ponds to get down into B class, and Rick Covalt is still resisting the urge to go to the dark side…

Let’s say Rick Covalt in the #5 spot wins all the marbles and also lets Ryan convince him to put nitrous on his Valiant to set a record. Here’s how that would look when he rolls in Friday with 150 points:

150 + 10 Attendance = 160
160 + 40 Round win points Friday (40 replaces 10 for 30 gain) = 190
190 + 40 Round win points Saturday (40 replaces 10 for 30 gain) = 220
220 + 20 Bonus Record points = 240!!

Meanwhile, Rob couldn’t get it together (as usual) and only gets his 5 attendance points, ending up at 220…

Given that scenario, even if Rick doesn’t run nitrous, he could wind up in 2nd place with the same points and a better Performance Index than Rob.

Before I had mentioned the possibility of Jackie Everhardt III getting to finish up the last three rounds from the aborted Clay City Racer’s Reunion Race. Those last three rounds are for bragging rights and the Reunion Trophy only! This is a special circumstance to support the 20 year Reunion Race and be able to finish our first ever 6 round race. No additional round points will be awarded. Here is what the rules state:

Quote:
- In the case where the race is started but cannot be completed due to weather, curfew, etc. points earned for round wins prior to the cancellation will be counted.

So, if you want to see some fierce racing action at the final race of the season, make plans to head to Maynardsville, TN 26-27 October! It’s gonna be a “Hoot in the Holler”!!

Attachments:
Points for Finale.JPG
Points for Finale.JPG [ 110.26 KiB | Viewed 9875 times ]

I’m Mater
The Kentucky Poser

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:08 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model:
Ryan has 225 too bad the next guy dosent have 198.. and then the 3rd guy 170...
:D :D :D

Good luck to all!
Greg

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:22 pm 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

We're close with 195 and 170! I'll take 3 extra bonus points... :lol:

I’m Mater
The Kentucky Poser

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:48 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model:
Nah.. cant do that.

Sorry.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:00 am 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Just trying to be accommodating... :mrgreen:

I’m Mater
The Kentucky Poser

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:58 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model:
Sure you are.

More like robsimmionsating...
:D :D

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:55 am 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

That ain't a real word! :P

I’m Mater
The Kentucky Poser

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:37 am 

Quote:
robsimmionsator !!

That would be a good name for on the car!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:33 am 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

RickCovaltinator!! :twisted:

I’m Mater
The Kentucky Poser

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:10 am 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

The last race of the season just got more interesting. The track will be closed Friday (too cold), so they are going to fit both races in on Saturday. Hopefully the weather will accommodate us.

More to follow...

I’m Mater
The Kentucky Poser

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:06 am 

We had hoped to have a great weekend of racing but that was not to be.I'm pretty sure that "hoppy" was going to run even better than it has all season!

So congratulations son! A national champion in the family! WOO hoo!! Not to shabby on the first season back with Seymour's car!!

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next