Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:38 am

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:36 am 
Turbo EFI

Car Model: 1965 Plymouth Belvedere I
Buybacks are usually optional to the racer. If you run your 'own' slant race within the main event, you can make it understood that there will be no buybacks in the slant series. Slant Series-Slant Series Rules. If the track is game, add the race, allow points and records per the usual rules. If the track promotes it, we could use the publicity to encourage participation in our niche of the sport. Of course, it would have been better to have brought it up before the 2019 season was scheduled.
jus sayin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:10 am 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
The past Tulsa race that was an official race of SSRN didn't work as planned.
I had numerous conversations with the lady that rents the track and promotes her MoPar race about no buy backs and she agreed.
We had a one time racer show up, bought back and nullified Seymours points and everybody else that was there.
All I'm trying to do is make Tulsa race worth towing 1400 miles round trip for Nitti and also the long roof guys.
I know this should be brought up in the off season but I can't see why we can't have an open conversation about it and we didn't know that fast car was going to break at his last race.

Mark

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:16 am 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model:
There can be no points awarded since the race was not approved by our Racers before the season started. End of story there. I am happy enough having records set if there are several Slant 6 racecars there in competition. See more below...

If you want to give strong input, come to the banquet and/or races, or contact/send a representative. If you want to vote, come to the banquet. There might be accommodations for votes if not at the banquet, but we have never done that. Racing is not virtual. If you come to a race and run your car down the track with us, you are a real racer. The more races you attend, the more voice and respect you will have. This goes for the banquets too, which always include an open forum and democratic votes for changes to the rules, names, etc...

I did not realize at first that Mark was suggesting that records could be set, but understood that shortly after. I am fine with it if folks here agree. If folks have objections, then we need to hash that out. Initially, I would say if a race gets set up just to set records, then there should be at least 4 Slant 6 racecars there. Ideally, this would all happen before the season starts, but I can see making exceptions in some cases. If Cameron Tilley wanted to set up a race in Sydney, Australia and got several Slant 6 cars to come, I would be happy to put him in the record books.

Thanks for reading!

Lou

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:46 pm 
Board Sponsor & SL6 Racer

Car Model: 65 Valiant 2Dr Post
The rules for setting records are pretty plain. If there is no points race then there are no records set.

Quote:
Records can only be set at events that feature a Slant Six Racing News points race. Any run during these events, including tune ups, time trials, or race rounds in the Slant 6 or other bracket races will qualify. If it is three day event with the Slant 6 race on Saturday, records can be set on Friday or Sunday also. It is necessary to back up any record performance with a second run within 1% at the same event.

The rules for record setting needs to be posted along with the rest of the rules so everyone can see them. If we decide to allow records to be set at a non points race this it will require a rule change.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:15 am 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Car Model: More cars than sense...
Quote:
- Points are earned by participating in the Slant 6 points races held as part of the events shown on the current schedule posted on http://www.slantix.org in the Event Calendar. We will make every attempt to list all points races for the coming year by February, but additional points races may be added later. Any additional races, with the exception of makeup races, will be added to the published schedule at least two months before the date of the new event. Makeup races may be scheduled with reasonable advance notice, so long as efforts are made to notify potential participants.

There is wording in the current rules posted to allow for additional points races to be added. My interpretation is that a November race would qualify since it is now April.

Granted, this would be a points race, which would require the coordinator to work out the No Buybacks and require all participants to abide by that.

My vote would be to allow the addition of the Tulsa race as an official points race in November.

In fact, if it IS added, I will make every attempt to be there to help Mark run herd on all the racers to make sure none of 'em sneak in and buy back! :twisted:

I'll even put my devious mind to work and try to show up with some combination with a shot at setting a record. That'd be a two for one deal! :wink:

I’m Mater
The Kentucky Poser

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:03 am 
SSRN National Champion

Car Model:
Granted we should amend the rules to cover this in the future, but this issue will most likely not happen again this year and I see no harm in allowing the race to be added considering the circumstances Mark outlined. I vote to add the race if Mark can pull it off, and give the guys in the Minnesota area this opportunity to race closer to home.

Ron

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:06 am 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
Thanks for posting the rules that I didn't know about. I understand now.
Do you have to go to the banquet to see all the rules or are they in printed issues of the SSRN from Seymour?
Rob thanks for the offer but I can't guarantee a no buy back, mulligan or whatever else she can think of to mess up the points.

Mark

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:17 am 

Car Model:
Hi Mark and all,

All rules are posted in a sticky thread on this website under "Racing Q&A". We update them every year, if any changes are made.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=59731

We made some tiny change to bonus points this year at the banquet, and I do not remember it and will have to look at my notes. That will be the only update for 2019.

Since that track is apparently non-compliant about buy-backs, and we are so early in the season, I would be in favor of adding this as an official race with no points. However, I can see this might be distasteful to some people.

If anyone wants to participate in the banquet rules discussion (or awards presentations), we can likely set up a Skype (or other videoconf mode) to have faraway people included over the web. Next banquet will be in Pigeon Forge/Knoxville area of Tennessee in March 2020...

Slant on,

Lou

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:28 am 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Car Model: More cars than sense...
This is a quote from Seymour when this Buy Back issue happened at the Tulsa race in 2017 as a way they could have handled it and suggestion if it happens again.

Quote:
I think Mark has "Buy Backs" name. He was a nice kid that just wanted to get in a few more runs and I hope he comes to our races in the future. In thinking back what we should have done is had somebody else buy back and had the two of them race each other then give the third round bye to the winner of the buy back race who would go into the final round that wouldn't count for points. That way all the other racers could have had all their points count. Just a thought if this ever happens again.

I really think it should be doable to simply communicate with all the Slant 6 racers to ensure no one opts for the Mulligan / Buy Back, etc...

With the punishment for doing so being 30 lashes with a Ford Falcon 144 cubic inch engine spark plug wire... :twisted: :lol:

I’m Mater
The Kentucky Poser

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:39 am 

Car Model:
If Mark is willing to work out the buy back thing on race day in the way Seymour suggested (Rob's quote above), then I think we can do this as a full points race and records can be set. Mark, please advise if you or someone on your able crew are willing to do this.

There is a clear provision that we can add a points race at this point in the season, assuming a significant number of racers agree. I for one would love to see more Midwestern racers (and races) out there, and this gives another opportunity for that.

Lou

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:30 pm 

Quote:
All rules are posted in a sticky thread on this website under "Racing Q&A"

To all,
The rules for record setting are not in that thread and have not been since the board crash whenever that was. I think I have a copy of the last set of those rules and I will send them to Lou and have him verify them and then they need to be posted for all to see. No one has to come to the banquet or anything else in order to see the rules. They just got lost in the shuffle.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:58 pm 

The buybacks issue seems like it could be worked out. If you have a race I think it would be nice for you to be able to get the points and the records.

We pull our own ladders, so everyone has to come to the race promoter to find out who they race. If they lost first round then they do not get to race Rd 2. I am not telling them who they race rd 2 because there is no one. If they go to someone else and pay to buy back, then that is on them and they just wasted their money.

Maybe that is too simplistic, and maybe your tracks are different. At Mason Dixon, we pull our ladder, lineup with our competitor, run the round and then go back and find out who we race. The track here does not even care about the computer stuff for our race. They are aware that we do our own thing.

Good luck Mark! Hope it all works out.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:24 am 

Car Model:
Thanks, Rick. Yep, we need to correct the rules to include the record setting on the site. My fault for not checking/noticing this.

Rick is right about the ladder - homegrown and not handled by the track is best (if possible). If someone buys back, they can just do a practice run?

Lou

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:33 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
MoKan Dragway has spoiled Team Green because they let us do whatever we want. Fantastic to work with. Tulsa not so much, but this year might be different.

What is the next step to make Tulsa a points race on the schedule?

I don't know how to thank you guys for considering a Tulsa race after the banquet.

You should talk Tilley into having a race and see if he can set a record. A lot of HAMB style dragsters are running over there so getting four other race cars should not be a problem.
Forced induction records need to be lowered, just don't lower the NA records. :lol:

Mark

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:59 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
I'm going out on a limb and saying there are no points at most races nowtimes; pretty much everyone's running electronic ignition of one kind or another.

(…yes, sir. No, sir. Sorry, sir; cutting it out, sir…)