Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:39 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: Re: Weird problem
PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:47 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model: 78’ dodge D100 slant six
So after some checking, tracing, cursing, blood and sweat the charging system is working for now. However I have found that the power wire going to the HEI is grounded somewhere. This shouldn’t be possible at all considering I have all the harness unplugged from the firewall. I ran out of time today to finish up or check this. I’ll have to remove all the tape and trace all of them down and hopefully get it all fixed. Also if anyone knows. With everything plugged in my alternator sees voltage on both fields and bat +even with the regulator not plugged in. Is this normal or did something mess up on the alternator?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:56 am 
TBI Slant 6

I did some more research and found that by running another wire from alternator positive straight to the battery helps. So as a test trial I ran 2 12gage wires, just to be safe, and the voltage went up from 13.2 to 14.2 and I didn’t notice any hot wires. One was still warm but as long as it don’t get smoking hot like it did before, I do believe it will be back up and running finally. I will put these new wires on a relay with appropriate fuses as well. As for the info I don’t remember where I found it, probably here :D

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:13 am 
Supercharged

Car Model: Fiat 500e
The only wire that should run straight between the battery and the alternator will attach to the alternator output stud. A fuse is a fine idea, but there is no need nor desire for a relay. If you look at an accurate wiring diagram you'll see that you have bypassed the ammeter by making this modification.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:15 am 
TBI Slant 6

Joshie225 wrote:
The only wire that should run straight between the battery and the alternator will attach to the alternator output stud. A fuse is a fine idea, but there is no need nor desire for a relay. If you look at an accurate wiring diagram you'll see that you have bypassed the ammeter by making this modification.

All the original wires are still in place and the ammeter still works (although it bounces some). The wires going to the ammeter no longer get hot as I added another wire from alternator to battery essentially shortening the distant to the battery. The idea of putting a relay in is so the battery don’t drain back through the alternator and die. All that said considering my voltage reg is extremely hot, almost to the point where it might melt the inner shield rubber stuff. Not sure if this is how it’s supposed to be or not considering I’ve never even thought of checking the temp on it before now. I’m showing 14.2 coming from the alt and between 13.98 and 14.2 on the battery. Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:58 pm 
Supercharged

Get yourself a good wiring diagram. If you make changes red-line the drawing with your changes.

There is always battery voltage at the alternator output terminal under normal circumstances. The diodes in the alternator keep the electrons flowing in the right direction and do not allow the battery to discharge. The relay in the regulator circuit is there to improve the voltage regulator sensing and not to prevent battery discharging. The voltage regulator should not be hot. The alternator field winding should not be drawing enough current to heat the regulator. The blue wire to the regulator should go to the alternator field and switched battery power. The green wire should only go between the regulator and alternator. The regulator works by shunting current to ground through the green wire. The regulator case must be well grounded.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:49 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Well changed out indie wiring harness today. The old one didn’t look like had any shorts and the ohms checked out right on. Now though, I’m getting the right current through back to the voltage regulator so it’s not getting hot anymore, and the alternator isn’t either. I still have some switches and cables unplugged and will test each one as I plug them back in. Only one thing left, the alternator is putting out around 14.2 but when it gets the battery it’s at 13.9. Not sure if this is expected or still have something going on somewhere. The ammeter is working like it’s supposed to and although it’s warm, not hot enough now to melt anything same as the regulator. Still have some more stuff to clean and tidy up, like wiring and more grounds, putting tape and wiring looms on but this issue must have been partially in the harness. Thank goodness I had a backup truck of the same year! Maybe this thread can help with someone having similar issues as I will continue to check the old harness and other things and update here. Thanks everyone who has helped, and possibly will help in the future. This seems like a great place to make friends and gain knowledge in the process.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 2:40 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Well now I don’t know what to do. Nothing changed and now the voltage reg is getting hot again. No fuses in, no plugs plugged in. Same as it was before, only just put everything in place ready to be plugged up. It ran and ran fine but got hot again. I also blowed the module and possibly the reg, not sure yet, but I’m positive the module is toast. Soon as I get some funds I’m going to order some more parts and try again as I don’t give up that easy.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:57 pm 
Supercharged

It's cheaper to figure out what's wrong before ordering parts. For instance, battery could be defective and overloading the charging system. Have the battery tested. It's usually free.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:38 am 
TBI Slant 6

Joshie225 wrote:
It's cheaper to figure out what's wrong before ordering parts. For instance, battery could be defective and overloading the charging system. Have the battery tested. It's usually free.

The only reason I have to buy more parts is I’m sure I blew the module up, won’t start now and it’s getting voltage, lesson learned there. It was producing the right voltage but the regulator started getting hot again and there’s no difference in when it wasn’t and when it was. As I said, everything is unplugged and all fuses are pulled.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:31 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Module came in today. It started right up once gas got to the carb. Hopefully soon I’ll figure out the wiring issue although this time it didn’t get hot. Idk what’s going on but I will find out. I’m also going to do the electrical voltage reg bypass and hope it works more stable.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:59 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Is this the correct way to bypass?

Attachments:
D9391F55-9BC6-4374-A4C7-B6378D7D866E.jpeg
D9391F55-9BC6-4374-A4C7-B6378D7D866E.jpeg [ 36.96 KiB | Viewed 6335 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:00 pm 
TBI Slant 6

tattoosteve99 wrote:

Attachments:
855D385B-B607-4DD3-A122-F6E045E4E946.jpeg
855D385B-B607-4DD3-A122-F6E045E4E946.jpeg [ 42.57 KiB | Viewed 6334 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:23 pm 
Supercharged

tattoosteve99 wrote:
tattoosteve99 wrote:

Schematically, yes.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:23 am 
TBI Slant 6

This may seem like a dumb question but why do you need to keep the red wire after you change it over? It doesn’t look like it does anything.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:24 am 
Supercharged

It provides a second path through the bulkhead connector which is usually one of the worst connections in the harness.