Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:46 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:03 pm 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model:
Car is loaded up and I'm heading for CMP - 7 PM.

Lou

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:25 am 

Car Model:
Fantastic weekend with NASA (Nat'l Auto Sport Assn) at Carolina Motorsports Park. It was especially great to share some track time, wrenchin', and hang out time with Brian. Got home last night around 8 PM, with everything mostly in one piece (suspense music...). Project V was a joy to drive and I got to do substantial development work to make it faster and more reliable on the track. Fastest laps around 1:53-1:54 and certainly there's more in it.

More updates later today or tomorrow...

Lou

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:41 am 
Supercharged

Car Model:
Sixybeast and Project V hit the track for some time attack!

Looking forward to the updates!

Greg

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:33 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model: 1974 Plymouth Duster
Greg,

Unfortunately I had a last minute issue with Sixy Beast on Friday and couldn't run her. :evil:

I brought my daily driver instead. Still had fun on the track, but was very disappointed not to have Sixy on the track. Lou's car got lots of attention from interested racers and observers! This type of weekend event is really conducive to testing and trying adjustments on the cars. I am going to start researching possibilities for next year!

Brian

74 Duster, 225, rear-mounted blow through turbo at 12psi boost, street/strip car
"Sixy Beast"

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:20 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model:
No problem Brian, I understand.

What's the daily driver ecoboost ford f 150?
:D

Greg

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:19 pm 
EFI Slant 6

That would be interesting to take the truck on track!

It was my 392 Challenger. Porsche Cayman owners didn't like me passing them. :twisted:

Brian

74 Duster, 225, rear-mounted blow through turbo at 12psi boost, street/strip car

"Sixy Beast"

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:02 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model:
Okaaaaay, I get that; but were there any 911 gt3rs's there and did you pass them?

If you did than I have lotsa respect for the LX/LC/LA big body hulk you took there.

:D

Greg

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:41 pm 
EFI Slant 6

I didn't see any 911s there. C'mon, gimme a break Greg, I doubt even Randy Pobst could drive my LX around a 911GT3RS! :wink:

Did I mention my daily driver had all season tires on? I was sliding a lot on track. It's a great Grand Touring car, but it's surely not a track vehicle.

Brian

"Sixy Beast"

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:59 am 
Supercharged

Car Model:
I guess the all seasons omit the 5th season.. racing season.. but make for fun drifting experience.

Greg

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:05 am 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Car Model: More cars than sense...
I'm really sorry I missed this... :cry:

What was the Sixy Beast issue?

Hopefully I'll have something capable of playing with next time. Likely the Dart since it has the brakes and suspension goodies already. V8 car though... :oops:

I’m Mater
The Kentucky Poser

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:52 pm 

Car Model:
Project V ran like a champ. In short, the car was super predictable, well balanced, braking/suspension were responsive and excellent. Throttle steering, threshold braking, steering corrections, and all were quite nice. Did some carb jetting to get the mix around 12.5:1 under WOT. Big thanks to Brian for helping with wrenching and support!

Also... maybe got a new nickname - Smoky. I had a few smoke emission periods, but fixed or figured out them all (I think).

Smoke 1: Shiny aluminium unbaffled valve cover will spit oil out breather fairly substantially when beating on it for 20 min... I did get a full session w/o substantial smoke, but it was more smoke and leakage than I liked to see. Switched to factory baffled cover and that smoke and leaking went away.

Smoke 2: When the crankcase gets pressurized some, the dipstick can pop out and shower the headers with oil. I couldn't figure out why it spit more smoke on RH corners until I got back in (they black flagged me) and saw the dipstick hanging out. Fixed by tying it down with springs/wire and wrapping Teflon tape around the neck for a seal. Need to install a second breather in the valve cover to relieve pressure too...

Smoke 3: Then, all was well, UNTIL... Remember when Dennis posted the pic with the fatigued and broken-off oil pressure tee? NOTE: Do NOT ignore Dennis, ever. The little 1/8 NPT brass fitting on the back of the oil pump cracked and showered oil onto the bottom of the car, on the ground, engine bay... Luckily, this happened just at the end of a session, so I came off and it made it back to the pit spot with oil still in it. I packed it up for the day and headed home. Got home, popped new fittings on there and oil pressure appears normal (cold, at least)!

Other exciting news and car details to follow.

Very happy with the testing and looking forward to the next outing...

Lou

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:20 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: Fiat 500e
I'm glad you didn't lose too much oil Lou!

Years ago I made a manifold block to hold my oil pressure gauge sender and a 30 psi switch for a light. The block and senders mounted to the inner fender and were connected to the oil pump with a AN-4 hose. I didn't do this for the reason you just discovered, but because engine vibrations were killing my Stewart Warner gauge senders.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:23 am 

Car Model:
Thanks for the tip, Josh. Sounds great. I may do something like that in the future. For now, I just received some heavy wall steel NPT fittings (1/4 NPT off the pump instead of 1/8) to make this a bunch stronger. I might also weld the fittings together with a gusset...

The car was just an absolute blast to drive. I recall when I ran the car before the rebuild in 2009 that it never felt as crisp or predictable as the 64 Dart. That feeling was gone in this version. I guess maybe I need a back-back test sometime... :D

I can highly recommend the Bridgestone RE71-R tires. Very predictable and forgiving at the limit. I did spin once in turn 11 (not bad), but that was when the oil fitting cracked, and I could see some oil on the right rear tire... :oops:

Lou