Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:12 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 12:22 pm 
1 BBL (New)

Car Model:
any one got a spare they want to sell?

Post subject: h bolt
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 12:46 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
You can buy one from napa, just ask for the 3/4 fine thread bolt, i dont
know the exact length but maybe 2 inch.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 2:52 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
Same ones on a small block too.

Any well stocked hardware store will have them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 8:36 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
Remember, most \6 cars came without a bolt. None is necessary, since the damper is an interference fit on the crankshaft.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 9:45 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
SlantSixDan wrote:
Remember, most \6 cars came without a bolt. None is necessary, since the damper is an interference fit on the crankshaft.

My observation is that manual transmission slants use the bolt. Those often use a balancer with 2 or 3 v-belt grooves that are all one piece, not bolted together like the dampers on the automatic tranny vehicles.

Seems I have a service bulletin on this subject. Someday I'll find it again.

Post subject: bolt
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 11:51 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
Bean, i just went through this myself. 3/4" 16tpi 1 1/2"- 2" bolt. i bought mine at "Ace Hardware" but all they had was a grade "5". figured i'm only using it for tune-up's so it should be adequate. i also used "locktite" on bolt. by the way, welcome to the forum! i think you'll find that half these guys here could build their car up in their sleep!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 7:10 am 

Car Model:
Craig wrote:
a balancer with 2 or 3 v-belt grooves that are all one piece, not bolted together like the dampers on the automatic tranny vehicles.

Errrr...you sure about that? Never seen a factory part number difference for vibration damper with auto vs. manual trans. Maybe on hydraulic-lifter engines, though—I never paid much attention to them.

Spot check: Just one P/N for vibration damper in '60, '62, '64, '68, '69, '72 and '74 factory parts catalogues, plus bolt-on pulleys for P/S and A/C.

Quote:

I know that feeling!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 2:42 pm 
1 BBL (New)

Car Model:
what size is the washer? :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 5:32 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
bean wrote:
what size is the washer? :?:

Large and thick, much thicker than the hardware store will have.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 5:34 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
SlantSixDan wrote:
Craig wrote:
a balancer with 2 or 3 v-belt grooves that are all one piece, not bolted together like the dampers on the automatic tranny vehicles.

Errrr...you sure about that? Never seen a factory part number difference for vibration damper with auto vs. manual trans. Maybe on hydraulic-lifter engines, though—I never paid much attention to them.

Spot check: Just one P/N for vibration damper in '60, '62, '64, '68, '69, '72 and '74 factory parts catalogues, plus bolt-on pulleys for P/S and A/C.

Quote:

I know that feeling!

OK, I found the bulletin. Seems it applies to the CAST crank engines. Here are poor photos. If you can't read them I will have to redo them.

Here is a picture of a cast crank manual transmission damper with the 3 groove inertia ring. Is is on a D250 Dodge truck with Slant 6, look close and you can barely see the bolt head in center of pulley.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 6:50 pm 

Car Model:
Well, there y'go. I haven't had need to mess with a cast-crank engine in a good many years. Learn somethin' new every day!

Thanks for the scan job.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 5:18 am 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Car Model:
Very interesting, but why is the manual trans damper different then the auto? Evidently the cranks are interchangeable, between the manual and auto. The flywheels are interchangeble between the forged and cast cranks. What is the difference?

As a side note, this shows a mistake in the Chrysler slant six racing manual. Acording to the manual, the cast crank and forged crank dampers are different, where acording to the bulletin, the auto forged and cast dampers are the same.

64 Valiant Signet
64 Valiant 4dr 170

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 7:28 am 

Car Model:
Charrlie_S wrote:
this shows a mistake in the Chrysler slant six racing manual. Acording to the manual, the cast crank and forged crank dampers are different, where acording to the bulletin, the auto forged and cast dampers are the same.

Ermmmm...I don't read it the same way. The MP book is full of silly errors, but I don't think this is one of them. Take a look at the bottom line of the 2nd page of the bulletin Craig posted, which shows the one and only damper used with all transmissions with the forged crank, P/N 2208211. Then on the 3rd page, we're given the two different numbers for dampers used with the cast crank, P/N 4071060 and 4071061.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:25 am 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
I see it is only the CAST crank manual transmission applications that use a different damper. The last page shows Passenger Car (PC) and light duty truck with cast crank use a damper with a two belt groove inerta member. Then it shows Heavy Duty truck with cast crank uses a 3 belt groove inerta member. Both must be retained with a bolt.

All forged crank slants ( either auto or manual trans) and cast crank slants with automatic trans can use the same damper with a single belt groove and does not require a bolt.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 7:30 pm 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Car Model:
Craig wrote:
I see it is only the CAST crank manual transmission applications that use a different damper. The last page shows Passenger Car (PC) and light duty truck with cast crank use a damper with a two belt groove inerta member. Then it shows Heavy Duty truck with cast crank uses a 3 belt groove inerta member. Both must be retained with a bolt.

All forged crank slants ( either auto or manual trans) and cast crank slants with automatic trans can use the same damper with a single belt groove and does not require a bolt.

That's what I read also, where as the racing manual just states cast cranks use a differnt damper, then the forged cranks.

64 Valiant Signet
64 Valiant 4dr 170