Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:43 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 2:15 am 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model:
Buy the way, this is not my first or second post here, I have been in england finishing my degree, my valient is in my dads garage, gumming up as we speek!

anyway, I got a summer gig with a buddy who is putting the buick 215 v8 (rover 3.5) into am mg. I ahve seen these go into datsun 510's and things, very light, only 40lbs heavier than the 1800 that comes out of an mg, but rather than bore you to death, displacement jokes asside, I was wondering if anybody has any experience with aftermarket injection and ignigtion management computers on teh /6? I am working with a wolf 3d emgine management system from ausralia, and at first I was very skepticle about it, what with range of vehicles it is supposed to work with (2,4,6,8, rotary,12, but no 5. poor audi!) but hot dang if it didnt fire first time. it requires temps throttle position, map and crank angle as input and it controls pulse width, ignition timeing, boost (for turbos) and turbo timer (for cool down). I figured out how to convert the signal form a standard distributor pickup to it (even though it was not in the book) so I recon its a shoe in for controlling a slant, especially as ther eis no need for an air flow meter of any type.
anyone worked with one of these?

THanks

Richard

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 2:17 am 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model:
oops, it also controls fan relays and air conditioning idle adjustment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 5:55 am 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
There's a lot of programable ECU's out there, and most of them can work with a slant six. The biggest challenge is usually getting a way to mount the injectors to the intake manifold. I'm starting an EFI buildup myself using MegaSquirt. The Megasquirt is a lot cheaper than a ready-made aftermarket ECU but comes with some assembly required.

Post subject: No Air Flow Sensor ??
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 9:20 am 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
Does a system with no air flow sensor have a fuel mixture that varies
with air density (altitude and extreme weather) ?

Would you have to tweak the pulse width to take a trip that varied from
sea level to 12,000 feet (like crossing the continential divide) ?

I am curious and would like to see more elaboration on the
trade offs of doing fuel injection with and without an air flow sensor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 11:08 am 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
There's two sorts of EFI that avoid the mass air flow sensor. One is speed-density, which uses a pressure sensor in the intake manifold (MAP sensor) to measure the air density. This system requires a bit more tuning if you add internal work compared to a setup that uses a MAF sensor, but they're still quite workable. A lot of OEM setups use speed-density.

Then there are Alpha-N systems. These have neither a MAP nor a MAF sensor. They just use throttle angle and the engine RPM to measure how much air to add. These systems usually cannot correct for altitude, and are not meant to work on boosted engines. Besides being a little cheaper, they do have an advantage on aggressively cammed naturally aspirated engines if the intake airflow becomes chaotic enough to confuse sensors.

'66 Dart - turbocharged 225

My blog - Mad Scientist Matt's Lair

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 12:16 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
I'm not directly familiar with the Australian setup you mention, though you're not the first one to report that it works. There's a Canadian setup that sounds very similar, that is the SDS unit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 1:51 pm 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model:
if you measure ambient pressure and mnanifold pressure you can compensate for altitde somwhat