Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:54 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: 1V to 2V conversion
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 5:32 pm 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Car Model:
I'm new here but have been a Mopar nut forever. All V8 stuff and old flat head sixes untill now. My '69 Dart Gt has a 225 with a broken exhaust manifold. Cracked in two places. I located one from a 81 or 82 Cordoba. It is attached to a Super Six intake and carb. I am considering swapping the whole thing instead of just the exhaust manifold. What all is involved in this swap? Do I need other parts? Do I need anything different if I just change the exhaust? I haven't seen the setup yet. I was having overheating problems and since my radiator was full of bubbles I suspected a head gasket problem. In pulling the head I found the bad manifold cracks. I had seen the one but didn't realize how bad it was. Had to have my wife, bless her heart, help me lift the head on and off. that thing is heavy! The head gasket looked ok but it was a metal one and I have had small leaks with them before. Won't know if that was it untill I get the manifolds back on and get it running. Thanks in advance, Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 6:59 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
Throttle cable (shorter), throttle cable/return spring bracketry (different), auto trans kickdown linkage all the way from the carb to the transmission, including the kickdown lever on the trans itself (shorter). Air cleaner (different), choke thermostat (different) and modulator (not present on your '69) or electric choke conversion kit.

The swap is worth it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 7:27 pm 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Car Model:
Thanks S.S.D.! Will the parts you listed work on my '69 Dart if they are from an early 80's Cordoba or do they need to be from an "A" body? I'm buying the entire motor from the Cordoba and can probably get anything that will work from that car. I'll just put it on my engine/trans combo. Also the donor car has a freshly rebuilt tranny. Any benefit or drawbacks to later model trannys? Mine works fine but would it be a good spare or an upgrade? The Cordoba guy is replacing everything with a 360 so none of the /6 stuff is of any use to him.

1941 Dodge Cpe. 218 flat six

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 7:32 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
oldodge wrote:
Thanks S.S.D.! Will the parts you listed work on my '69 Dart if they are from an early 80's Cordoba or do they need to be from an "A" body?

There were no 2bbl \6 A-bodies in North America, so that option's out, but the Corrrrrrrrrrrdoba's throttle cable is going to be too long and won't have your same plug-in end at the firewall. Maybe you can find an Aspen or Volaré to get the cable from.

No reason not to use the air cleaner and other stuff from the Corrrrrrrrrrdoba.

Quote:
I'm buying the entire motor from the Cordoba

Get it cheaply. Earlier (pre-mid-'76) slant-6s are better...

Quote:
Also the donor car has a freshly rebuilt tranny. Any benefit or drawbacks to later model trannys?

Wider-ratio gearset (noisier but more compatible with tall rear axle ratios) and a lockup torque converter (better highway fuel economy).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 7:56 pm 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Car Model:
I am getting the engine for 50 bucks. Seems cheap enough for a good running engine. I was only looking for an exhaust manifold but this popped up. I think it is well worth it for the super six setup alone. Thanks for sharing your wisdom. I almost swapped my /6 for a 360 I bought awhile back but after doing some research decided not to. It won't be too long till kids say "what the heck is that under your hood". I get that with the flat head in my '41 and I like it. I'm sure I'll have more questions as I get into this further. Thanks again, Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 9:22 pm 
Guru

Car Model: Many Darts and a Dacuda
Did you get a chance to read through this article?
http://www.slantsix.org/articles/supersix/article.htm
DD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 5:46 am 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Car Model:
I have now. Thanks DD. I need to poke around this site a bit and absorb some of this info.