Slant Six Forum,  Forum Index
Home Slant Six Forum,  Forum Index Log in Register FAQ Memberlist Search

This site is paid for by donations. Click here to help.

225 Engine rebuild project

Select message display options:             View previous topic :: View next topic  
eugenefelisco
1 BBL (New)

Post subject: 225 Engine rebuild project (Thu May 24, 2007 8:12 am) Reply with quote

Greetings,
I have a 1962 plymouth valiant that I want to restore. It has a 225 slant six and a push botton tranny.
I want to ask everybodies help on this. I need some informations on valve lash, torque specs, firing order and electricals running from dash to engine. Is there a rebuild book or a manual I can buy out there. Please give me good link to it.
This will be my first vintage rebuilt coz I'm very familiar with all japan imports like hondas,toyotas,nissans and mitsubishi engines from stock to outragious hp's for about 1300 hp at the wheels.
So please help me on this. If someone needs my email its eugenefelisco@comcast.net or I can give you my phone if needed.
Thank you very much any help will be appreciated.
Eugene

eugenefelisco
1 BBL (New)

Post subject: (Thu May 24, 2007 8:32 am) Reply with quote

Oh I forgot to ask about how much will the parts goes. Like the piston rings, valve, valve guides, gaskets , fasteners(if I break one)and carb rebuild kits. Can someone give me a rough estimate on this. And I want to ask the availability of these parts in my local stores like Kragen and goodguys. Will this be a wise move to rebuild it from the ground-up or just buy a crete engine and swap it to her.

Matt Cramer
Board Sponsor

Post subject: (Thu May 24, 2007 8:51 am) Reply with quote

Eugene,

I highly recommend tracking down a factory service manual. Nothing else will have the same quality when it comes to wiring diagrams and other information. I think some of the others will chime in with sources for them.

The mechanical parts are widely available, and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at the prices. The push button Torqueflite has a few unique parts that are hard to find, but both the slant six and the 904 stayed in production for decades in one form or another, so replacement parts are pretty common.

Unfortunately, the state of rebuilt parts out there is pretty bad, particularly carburetors but several other things too. It's gotten to the point where a teenager who's never worked on cars before has a better shot at rebuilding a carb correctly than the companies who supply auto parts houses with their rebuilt carbs. No exaggeration - I've done a comparison. You're much better rebuilding the parts you have now than going with a rebuilt engine from a parts store, if it even needs rebuilding.

MenkeMoose
3 Deuce Webber

Post subject: (Thu May 24, 2007 8:54 am) Reply with quote

Welcome Eugene! As far as books go, see this thread:http://www.slantsix.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=92169. You can get an idea of parts pricing for your rebuild here:http://www.flatlanderracing.com/ look under "engine kits".

I think the concensus here is that you would be better off overseeing your own rebuild than buying a crate engine from Pep Boys or wherever.

Do a search on this site for "engine rebuild" and you'll find lots of other information posted already.

Good Luck!

-Moose

eugenefelisco
1 BBL (New)

Post subject: (Sat May 26, 2007 12:32 pm) Reply with quote

Thank you very much guys. So the OEM rebuild kit will be chrysler 225 3.7 (60-80) slant six mechanical from Flatlander Racing website. Its about $375 plus shippnig and tax is not very bad at all.
Any trick of the trade I need to know before I start the build, like any secrets or special techniques on this engine. Maybe someone can share some info here.
Thank you very much, any help will be appreciated.
Eugene

rock
Turbo Slant 6

Post subject: To emphasize, here ar some things you really will want IMHO (Sat May 26, 2007 1:56 pm) Reply with quote

Hello,

You will find out quick matt cramer knows of what he speaks! Read those threads, but IMHO, here a few things you REALLY oughta get:

The forum special on the Erson cams is still on...get one with the lifters and springs. As you learn more you will kick yourself if you don't put one in, and the price can't be beat.

Get the Australian gaskets. Don't waste time on any other approach. Each place those gaskets go is a lot of work. Do it once.

Get a set of Dutra duals, or get a front one and make your rear on.

Get some form of ingnition upgrade, Pertronix, Mopar, etc.

And right now the adjustable Rollmaster roller timing chain set can be had so cheaply, you are going to be in there too, just do it with the cam.

The other stuff is almost endless so read and make your informed decision. For instance, I like a 4bbl manifold, other like 2bbl, just read the threads. It is a lot of fun and a forgiving engine!

rock
'64d100

Ron Parker
SSRN National Champion

Post subject: (Mon May 28, 2007 7:17 pm) Reply with quote

Wo Wo lets slow down a bit and see what you are building your engine and car for what purpose. Street car , street/strip car ie crusein car. Or a all out drag car or a road race car . A lot of options and opions on what will work. But the best people are here for a Slant. Thanks Ron Parker Very Happy

Jaggers Fabrication Slanted Attitude Dart

runvs_826
Turbo Slant 6

Post subject: engine rebuild (Mon May 28, 2007 8:06 pm) Reply with quote

Just my two cent's on re/building a slanter. I've built a couple high dollar v8's with my uncle, but this was a diffrent animal. It all depends on what you want to do for reliablilty vs. all-out performance.
1. Read thoroughly all the articles that doug and others have posted.
2. Gaskets and seal can come back to haunt you time and time again. Seal just about everything with some sort of sealant as a backup.
3. Upgrade to a better cam if at all possible, it was the best bang for the buck for me. (.44 lift/ 270 duration)
4.Upgrade your intake and exhaust the first time, it's just annoying to keep switching them out, I've gone from 1 to 2 barrell, and now a custom hyperpak with TBi.
Good luck! The rest is all up to you and your wallet!

Select message display options:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Slant Six Forum, Forum Index -> Engine All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: