Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum upgrade!
It is currently Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:48 am

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 5:56 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model*:
We put together a feast:

Left, front to back: Steamed fingerling potatoes, brussels sprouts, carrots; wild & brown basmati rice; 20-lb turkey.
Centre, front to back: Butternut squash, bok choy with sesame salt, sesame oil & scallions; cranberry-orange relish, giblet gravy, fresh croutons, carved turkey, okra, green salad with fresh citrus-sesame dressing.
Right, front to back: Green beans with Chinese mushrooms & ginger; whole wheat-mushroom stuffing with celery, cracked pepper & marjoram.
Not shown: Assorted chocolates, cauldron of turkey-vegetable stock.

Good thing, too, 'cause it's fruh-fruh-fruh-freezing out:

As for gifts, I try to discourage people giving me material gifts. I already have too much stuff and don't really need more. Nevertheless, I got two books. One was "Creepy Suzie", a book of seriously twisted, very funny little stories on which the "Oblongs" cartoon-for-grownups series was based.

The other was a big glossy coffee table book called "The World's Worst Cars" or somesuch. Written in England. Really beautifully designed and laid out, nicely put together. I was flipping through it, really enjoying it. There are many, many books that have been written mocking the world's automotive flops. This one contains all the usual suspects — the DeLorean, the smashback Cadillac Seville, the Chrysler's TC by Maserati, various English and Italian attempts at transport, the Sterling, the Renault Alliance, the Yugo GV, the Hyundai Excel. It's well organised into sections (technical failures, marketing failures, styling failures) and I was just beginning to think I'd finally found the one that combined proper journalistic standards of factual accuracy with that unique brand of snark usually only carried off well by the English, when I came upon "Dodge Dart".

H'mm. One does not usually find the Dart included in lists of the world's worst cars. The English snark was there, but even accounting for my extreme biases I could find not a single fact. The guy obviously did zero research whatsoever; every single assertion was an unmitigated fabrication. The slant-6 engine was "fragile" and Chrysler never sold very many of the "unpopular, unreliable" Darts...did you know that? No, me either.

Further on, there's a spread on the '63 Ghia-built Chrysler Turbine cars. Which were an utter failure, according to the book, because their one-off engines not only had no serious engineering behind them, but got abysmal fuel mileage even by the low expectations of the day. What's more, Chrysler had trouble finding willing test drivers, because people were terrified by the 40,000 rpm speeds attained by the engine. Such a PR fiasco for Chrysler that they hid a few of them in museums and crushed the rest.

Which means the whole book is poopy kaka, because if I can ping at least one gross factual error per sentence in an article on which I know the subject matter, what-all else in the book is fabricated? Damn disappointing. The author works for a UK auto magazine of which I had previously thought pretty highly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 6:40 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model*: 1965 Plymouth Barracuda, 1954 Dodge C1-B8
Beautiful spread! Who does the cooking?

Too bad about the book. I've gotten several car books throughout the years of widely differing quality. Someone really should let him know how much better a Dodge Dart is than say an Austin A60 and how many 100s of thousands of those fragile engines were made between 1960 and 1988 when the B series vans finally went V6.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 6:45 pm 

Car Model*:
Joshie225 wrote:
Beautiful spread! Who does the cooking?

Both of us.

Quote:
Someone really should let him know

Won't help. He's not only sure of himself, he's English. :shock: :mrgreen:

(y'think he's gonna admit having made stuff up just 'cause I write a letter...?)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 7:11 pm 
Site Admin

Car Model*: 2018 Eichman Digger
I didn't get a Chrysler Turbine car for christmas this year. 'Still hoping! :D

Linda decided I needed one of these!

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h93/H ... gonfly.jpg

I got a good chuckle out of your snow photos Dan!

Happy Holidays!

CJ

Last edited by Ceej on Tue Dec 25, 2007 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 7:27 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model*:
That is a great looking meal. Hopefully, you had lots of company, otherwise, you will be eating leftovers for weeks. :lol:

So, I am going to defend the undefendable in that worst car list: The Yugo (Zastava) GV ( Koral 45).

Yes, it was cheap, and not very attractive. However, its defense, it was based on Fiats, and was certainly no worse than they were.
The Yugos that I saw in their native home ( former Yugoslavia) seemed to be well understood and maintained, even during their civil war. They were more reliable, or at least, easier to repair, than the domestic Volkswagon Polos ( made in Sarajevo prior to the war). I know of one Yugo that had a CV joint boot made out of old trash bags and duct tape that held up through a winter.

They can even be "bad a$$". If you ever see the old Dennis Quaid movie, "Saviour", they have one nasty roadster version. ( Actually, please don't see the movie. Too depressing, by far.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 7:43 pm 

Car Model*:
gmader wrote:
That is a great looking meal. Hopefully, you had lots of company, otherwise, you will be eating leftovers for weeks. :lol:

You say that as if it's a bad thing! :mrgreen: We had seven people total, and I am working on a turkey sandwich right now, getting ready to watch some Star Trek while the cauldron of turkey stock heats up on the stove for decanting.

Quote:
So, I am going to defend the undefendable in that worst car list: The Yugo (Zastava) GV ( Koral 45).

You're quite right. They (and the Lada Niva) were lousy cars by international standards, but they were well suited to the infrastructure and realities in the second world at the time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 7:45 pm 
3 Deuce Webber

Car Model*:
Anybody who loves brussels sprouts & carrots, alongside of cranberry/orange is OK with me!
Well done!

Concerning the English connection, please understand that the European mindset does not allow for "works in progress", which is what most of us here are engaged in.
Some of them drive Peugeots, for crissakes! :lol:

My dear sister, who, for 11 months of the year resides in England, was kind enough to smuggle some goodies across the pond for me this year; some character called "Stig", from some BBC show called "TopGear"..
Plus a copy of "My Story" by Lewis Hamilton.

I try to keep an open mind, but mom still likes the Duster..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 8:02 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model*:
Here I was all excited about a little (and I do mean little) dusting of snow here. You guys look freaken' frigid! :shock: Wife and I went to my folks for dinner and had ham, baked potatos and corn with cheese cake for dessert. Even had a couple of Molson's (Canadian connection there). :wink:

Intresting the author mentioned the Dart as a bad car. Most books I've seen with a worst car list had the Aspen/Volare's as bad cars. Mainly for there love of rust. Never mentioned they where actually sound cars mechanically and the rust issues where fixed.

Merry Christmas Dan!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 9:10 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model*:
Good looking feast Dan!

My nephews and I made some memories Christmas Eve when we took the Dart out to look at Christmas light displays. We took the Dart out of hibernation (we try keep it off the salty, nasty winter roads), gassed it up and went looking. My youngest nephew, the little guy sitting on the deck lid in the pic, is a big fan of the movies cars and loves to take a ride in Uncle Toddies old Dart.

We had a great time. The light display in the picture is computer operated and covers about 4 acres of ground. We walked all around the light show to check out the many displays of Santa Claus, Nativity scenes, and all kinds of various lights.

Of course the Dart performed flawlessly refuting its bad English rap.
Merry Christmas to All!

1968 Valiant V200-a Work in Progress

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 5:43 am 
Supercharged

Car Model*:
What a fun post. Meal looks great! I envy anyone who can cook. Nobody in my family calls themselves a cook except maybe my Brother. He is not exotic about it; just likes to do it.

One of my sons-in-law owned a Yugo, and loved it. Yes, actually loved it. He doesn't have very high automotive standards, but is the funniest man I know in a comedic sense, and he really liked the fact that it had the reputation of being so bad. He still brags and laughs about his Yugo, which he calls "My favorite car". It is long gone, but he drove it many, many miles. It became so hip to bash the Yugo that some years ago they held a contest for art students to see what wierd things they could make out of a Yugo. You can probably find it on the internet. It is pretty funny. One creation that stands out was a confessional for a Catholic church. I think there were assorted bars, and fountains as well as other unexpected things. Human creativity never fails to surprise and delight.

I loved the Dr. Zhivago poses. If you guys looked like that, just imagine what the folks south of you accross Lake Ontario look like. They usually get double or triple the snow of Toronto. Thanks for sharing. Happy New Year now.

Sam

Sam[/i]

Post subject: Wow!
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 8:03 am 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model*:
I wish I was there for dinner! This morning's paper carried a half-page spread about how so many locals order from a Chinese restaurant each Christmas. Their quote, "hundreds." Before being zapped, I have nothing against Chinese food normally. But on Christmas I want what Dan fixed!!

Hopefully our photos will look nearly alike in the near future as I am planning on retiring and returning to my homestead in Kenai, Alaska.

Thanks Dan for the great topic!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 8:32 am 
3 Deuce Webber

Car Model*:
Wow...looks like quite the feast! I used to eat brussel sprouts, but choked on one when I tried to swallow it hole (it was VERY hot and I was young...lol) have not had one since!

We were supposed to get about 2-3 inches...ended up with over 11"...spent most of the morning shoveling...
Slanted66

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 3:08 pm 
SSRN National Champion

Car Model*:
That looks great Dan, our family had a traditional southern dinner turkey,ham vegies dressing and deserts. I have got back the 72 Dart swinger I restored about 12 years ago from my brother. It needs some work but is still in great shape body wise. Im going to put in a 318 built up to 340 specs in it. It allready has a built 727 with suregrip and 4.10 gears should be a hoot to drive. Like I need another project but it keeps us busy in the winter when it gets cold and the temp just gets into the 50s
Happy New year. Thanks Ron Parker :D

It Aint Over Until I Win

Post subject: Formal Declaration
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:49 am 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model*:
Not trying to be disrespectful in the least, but my daughter purchased me a fine winter hat for Christmas, and guess what? It looks like Dan's. So....I want to declare it the Official Slant Sixer's Hat from this day forward. Wouldn't that be something? A contingent of Slanters at a car show, all wearing the Official Slant Sixer's Hat. Certainly newsworthy!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:14 am 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Car Model*:
The Dart's slant six is fragile?!? I bought my 64 Dart earlier this year from a couple of guys who drove it 1700 miles from Boston to New Orleans in the BABE Rally. Even with 165k miles on it, I'm still using it as my DAILY DRIVER. One of the world's worst cars? I beg to differ!

Yes, girls like classic cars too.