Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:14 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:31 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: Fiat 500e
Those look like the coils on my 4.7L Dakota.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:38 pm 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
Pierre wrote:
How are you going to secure the COP coils to the head? Or do they just float on the plugs?

Edit: What's the stock application for those coils?

They are late model Moosetang coils... I made a bracket to tie them all together and attach to studs at the rocker cover, but I couldnt find the pics...
This is the original reason I was going with those coils:

http://www.performancedistributors.com/soscoils.htm

maybe a bunch of hype, but theres always more aftermarket support for the oval and bowtie brands...although its gotten better over the years.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:47 pm 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
Joshua Skinner wrote:
Those look like the coils on my 4.7L Dakota.

I was contemplating using the coil packs from a later Chrysler V-6 to keep it more 'Par, but then I saw those Ford SOS coils...now I'm thinking about some really trick COP coils from an F1 car that will fit inside the drool tubes...cannot find the link right now tho.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:57 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
I like the valvecover bracket idea, that way you don't have to mess with the head.

I'm currently running the chrysler 3.5L coil pack. I always wanted to try COP... damn you for re-kindling the project in my mind lol... have enough projects lined up already.

I wonder if the ford EDIS module has enough current to fire two coils? Or one could wire them in series instead of parallel I suppose.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:48 am 
Supercharged

Car Model:
This is all too cool. I will be pestering the group eventually for more info and photos. I have been following this and Pierre's linked thread the entire time, and finally am in a position to start figuring out a system for my car. . One of the major problems on my application is the room for everything. That makes the COP appealing. My fenders are already full of stuff.

Thanks for sharing, and don't stop.

Sam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:00 am 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model:
what about a set up from a 99 up 4.0 jeep six? the have a nice set up and build some hanggeres off the vavle cover bolts?

Why not use the whole fuel injection set up and adapt the distributer on the jeep for the timing as well

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:26 am 
Supercharged

Car Model:
Giezy, You are exactly what this forum needs. Glad to have you on board. A fresh, questioning mind to dig things up a bit. How about it guys? Maybe this has been covered before, but why not use the Jeep system?

Sam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:40 am 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model:
i know cause i own a couple jeeps and they don,t have a egr or a mass air sensor to get dirty. they run from a trottle posision sencer and the distributer would be easy to convert to work with a /6 it is just a basic crank possition sencsor and is good for just size of engine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:52 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
Anyone have any updates to share? Im looking at going either EDIS or COP.
Thanks Dave

Holley 1920 #55
HEI MSD BLaster 2
17.8 mpg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:35 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
See this thread on another board (read the whole thread, it gets very interesting and does get into DIS territory).

Post subject: Even easier...
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:41 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
Quote:
convert to work with a /6 it is just a basic crank possition sencsor

The late Jeep system uses the distributor as a cam position sensor (the one in my wife's '03 went out and they are now just starting to have a batch available again as this part tends to wear out at 100K)...

If going for this it's much easier to adapt a 1981+ Lean Burn ESC distributor to do the job, it has no advance mechanisms, and if just needing a position sensor...take your grinder and lump off 5 of the 6 points on the reluctor star, then phase the distributor per the system
requirements. (Bet I could make this mod in 5 minutes...)

If able to run a system that can read the cam and crank positions (distributor and crank trigger)...this might help keep the slant running longer if the timing chain starts to stretch (but may not help much when the chain skips a tooth...)

-D.Idiot

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:33 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model: 1965 Barracuda 'S' auto
Regarding COP upgrade...nadda performance wise. Less maintenance, no spinning rotor and cap and no high tension wires to break down for maintenance. I think capacitive discharge would offer much more spark than COP, and the recharge time for MSD is trivial when we consider the RPM range of our slants.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:33 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
The reason for switching to COP or a wasted spark system is so you can control spark advance throught your ECM and set it where it needs to be especially in a turbo, supercharged application. As far as useing a jeep system it would be no problem to install it, but you can not adjust it so it makes it useless, you could ues the jeep injectors & throttle body but you need a ECM you can adjust to your engine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 9:39 am 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
So boredom strikes again and research set in. To sum it up and be simple, if operating voltage were applied to the coil wire, would it be enough to jump the distance of the rotor to cap?

Reason for asking? Some cop setups (3 wire) use a positive voltage applied to trigger it. Most OEM use a 5v pulse for the command but others use full voltage like an 07 Mitsu 3.6. So even if its complicated etc, would using full V command coil plus the standard dizzy to supply that V work?

225, Offenhauser, Holley 350, A833OD, 3:55, GM HEI,99 Durango starter
BOOSTED! WH1C, BIG FMIC, 10#
Operation Noble Eagle 03-05
Operation Iraqi Freedom 05-07
Operation Enduring Freedom 12- 13

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 7:59 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
Wait... so your trying to use COP's wired to a distributor cap for control? How frankenstien-ish.

Voltage that low will not jump gaps. You could make the rotor longer a bit though... the mo-3000 rotor may be enough - so it touches the contact when passing over it.

Dwell may be an issue. Could narrow or widen the rotor tip to adjust?

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next