Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:41 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: Hydrogen injection
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:45 pm 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
im thinking about putting a Hydrogen injection on my slant six. http://www.water4gas.com/ my grandfather built some chambers to put on his Dodge Dakota but I'm a little iffy. has anyone else put this on their car. supposedly i should be getting around 80 MPG

http://www.auto-facts.org/water4gas-scam.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 1:44 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
yeah it should increase efficiency. Farmers back in the 40's and 50's used to somehow introduce water vapor into their tractors to get a bit better efficiency. I don't really understand how it works exactly. All I know is my car does seem to have a bit more pep when it's rainy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:30 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
Save your money. It takes more power to generate hydrogen than you could possibly get back by burning it. Also, consider that this generator "Ozzy Freedom" (that wasn't the name he was born with) designed puts out 1 liter per minute. A slant six cruising at light throttle at 2,000 RPM will still draw in around a thousand liters of air a minute, and if you were running it on pure hydrogen that would need somewhere around 400 liters per minute of hydrogen just for light cruising. Ozzy definitely made a serious unit mismatch when sizing the system - he's thinking in grams per hour when you need cubic buttloads.

One engineer has put up a million dollar prize for anyone who can actually get a verifiable 25% improvement in mpg from an "HHO" system:

http://www.aardvark.co.nz/hho_challenge.shtml

I don't think anyone is ever going to claim it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:35 pm 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
its not gonna run on only hydrogen. its gas too and im getting it for free

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 5:04 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
You could put a tank of hydrogen in your car, and run it off of that. Though, if you got into an accident or somthing went wrong with the system, I couldnt guarentee any survivors after that explosion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 5:25 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
jmccabe wrote:
its not gonna run on only hydrogen. its gas too

Look at the numbers: It's not really running on hydrogen at all. There's not enough hydrogen to make a difference. The water4gas system makes less than 5 grams per hour.

Quote:
and im getting it for free

Not unless you're good friends with a welding shop owner. The water4gas system burns gasoline to drive the alternator to make hydrogen gas. So you have a gasoline powered hydrogen generator, losing energy at every step of the process.

'66 Dart - turbocharged 225

My blog - Mad Scientist Matt's Lair

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 5:48 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
it seems scammish to me. 97 dollars for an ebook? I still think water vapor improves efficiency, but yeah, after spending more time on that site, i retract what I said earlier about this water4gas.
You also don't need the book. Just look at the diagram. This is what i got from staring at it for about 15 minutes. [url=http://www.water4gas.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=51&Itemid=55] on this page[url]
You got your HHO solution maker mason jar thingy on the far right. It gets it's electrical current, and the electrodes do their thing and electrify the water. Then the offset gas is sucked into the engine through those tubes. Simple design. You know, i bet mason jars would probably hold up well, cuase the solution will get hot, and the glass wiill hold up. the electrodes are simple enough to make. 2 screws, one positve and one negative. and then you just thread some steel gauge wire into the jar to energize the solution. You'd have to ground the lid if its metal, and thats not shown in the diagram though. As for the other bumps on the lid, one of them is probably a blow off valve, and i dunno about the other. probably an inlet.
The only thing i don't know is how much of the common household electrolyte (sodium bicarbonate aka baking soda) to use.

::stick::

BOOSH!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:01 am 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
This is a perpetual motion machine. It violates the second law of thermodynamics (it is impossible for a closed system to undergo a cyclic process whereby there is absorption of heat by the system from a heat reservoir with the performance of an equivalent amount of work by the system on it's surrondings). It is impossible to use energy to drive an alternator to generate electricity that will split water into H2 & O2 and then feed this into your engine and get back the energy you put into the alternator plus something else. It is a scam. Save your money.

Mitch

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:49 am 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Car Model:
I knew a guy whod converted his VW camper bus to run on Hydrogen,
It looked more like a crazy science experiment. Some how it took regular water and sent elctricity through it to take the hydrogen particles and use them. He says that he went from arround 20 mpg to 50 or so. :o

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:51 am 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
What ever they were smokin in the back of the bus kept them from learning basic thermodynamics. And physical chemistry. I don't know which is worse, hydrogen as particles or believing in portable black holes that suck energy in. Clearly, scam artists can always find gulllible parties.
Many threads here will tell you how to increase power, but without knowing something about the Otto Cycle believers in black magic would have a better chance praying for power than trading dollars for tripe. "jes my 'pinion.

rock
'64d100

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:42 am 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
okay say that for some reason i install this water 4 gas thing and it actually works can it hurt my engine?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:59 am 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
jmccabe wrote:
okay say that for some reason i install this water 4 gas thing and it actually works can it hurt my engine?

I've heard it draws around 10 amps. Given that A body alternators were rated for between 23 and 45 amps, the current draw is non-trivial. Even if the amount of hydrogen produced is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:49 pm 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
so is that a no

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:19 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
It is unlikely to damage the engine itself, for the simple reason that it probably won't do anything, but it will put quite a strain on the electrical system.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:22 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
Science and facts never got in the way of someone who Really Really Wants To Believe. :roll: