Slant Six Forum,  Forum Index
Home Slant Six Forum,  Forum Index Log in Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Please donate $1 for Claude's Valiant Effort.

help with a 1983 dodge ram with 225 slant six

Select message display options:             View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnathon1968
1 BBL (New)

Post subject: help with a 1983 dodge ram with 225 slant six (Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:07 am) Reply with quote

hello im still trying to get my truck to start. i get power to the coild but no power to the distributor. can you think of anything i can try. thanks for your help

johnathon1968
1 BBL (New)

Post subject: (Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:48 am) Reply with quote

why cant anyone help meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

SlantSixDan
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Post subject: (Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:17 pm) Reply with quote

Probably because in order to help you, we need a much more detailed question about what you've already tried repairing or replacing, and what diagnosis you've already done.

By birth & parentage: US citizen, 2nd class
By choice: Canadian citizen, 1st class

Reed
Supercharged

Post subject: (Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:19 pm) Reply with quote

Can you describe your symptoms better? We need more info.

Does the motor crank but not catch or does the motor not turn over at all?

If the motor turns over, have you checked your ballast resistor? Have you checked the ohm reading on your coil to make sure that the coil is actually good?

When you say no power to the distributor, what do you mean? Do you mean the coil does not send a current through the coil-to-distributor cap wire or do you mean the wires leading to the side of the distributor don't have any current?

Does your truck have a lean burn ignition system or a standard electronic ignition system?

Have you check the basics? Plug wires routed properly?

We need more info to help diagnose your problem.

Supercharged

Post subject: (Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:33 pm) Reply with quote

johnathon1968 wrote:
why cant anyone help meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Whining will not help. This is a community. Introduce yourself, then give a detailed description of the troubleshooting you've already done and then ask questions you have not been able to answer for yourself. Using the search function is highly recommended.

100 Custom
1 BBL (New)

Post subject: (Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:19 pm) Reply with quote

I have the same question as jonathon1968 only my truck is an 1984 model. I have changed the ignition module and wiring to the GM HEI module as described in other posts on that subject. The motor is turning over, but no start. Since the ignition change, though its sounds like its getting closer. It wants to start. Now some background on it..... The truck was loaned to a friend (yea right) who drove it about 200 miles before blowing the engine. I found another truck same year, same motor in a junk yard. Hooked up a battery poured gas in carb and after a few tries got it cranked. Bought the truck put the motor in mine now we cant get it started again. Been 2 weeks and lots of parts. New plugs, wires ,rotor, dist. cap, coil, battery... (even the ballast resistor). The starter is good the starter solenoid good the starter relay good all getting suffcient voltage. And now plenty of power going in the HEI module dead going out to dist. pickup coil wire. Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated.

00spy
Turbo Slant 6

Post subject: (Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:45 pm) Reply with quote

100 Custom,
This has happened to me. If you still have all of your wiring make sure your distributor is hooked to the right connector ,since the distributor for lean burn has dual pick ups . I was messing with mine once ,and hooked the wrong one back up and it would only crank. If that is not the case ,maybe switching the distributor wires around.

Dave

100 Custom
1 BBL (New)

Post subject: (Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:09 am) Reply with quote

Dave

The connection for the dual pick up is in the wire harness but my dist. is single pick up. Also, the two connecters are not the same. The one in the harness is a 2 female and one male connection, or vise versa not sure at this moment. That still takes me back to why there is no power coming out to the dist. at the new HEI ignition module. Defective module maybe? If so, good thing it comes with lifetime warranty. Going today to exchange it and the coil for it just to be sure.
Thank you much for your reply.

Dorothy aka 100 Custom

100 Custom
1 BBL (New)

Post subject: (Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:10 am) Reply with quote

Dave,

The connection for the dual pick up is in the wire harness but my dist. is single pick up. Also, the two connecters are not the same. The one in the harness is a 2 female and one male connection, or vise versa not sure at this moment. That still takes me back to why there is no power coming out to the dist. at the new HEI ignition module. Defective module maybe? If so, good thing it comes with lifetime warranty. Going today to exchange it and the coil for it just to be sure.
Thank you much for your reply.

Dorothy aka 100 Custom

Sorry for 2 posts as there was an error placing the first.

Select message display options:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Slant Six Forum, Forum Index -> Electrical All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: