Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:51 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:27 am 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
hi sl6 sages in california- dont think this question was answered on the forum or the earlier sl6 news mag. since my ongoing search since feb for an f or m body with a stick and sl6 has been like looking for a needle in a haystack, i have been looking at car ads all over the country including cal cars and cars which emigrated from cal. what i know is this : cal cars for at least 40 years have had tougher smog standards and increased gadgetry over the cars sold in the other 49 states. having lived in nj and fla i never thought much about this. cal cars 74 and older are smog exempt. younger ones have to be smog tested every 2 years. 77- 83 f and m bodies spec sheets said manual trans were not available on sl6 and v8 models in cal, but were available in the other 49. since my contacts in cal have been unable to provide me with this info maybe the forum brotherhood can:1. how did manual trans cars fail cal smog in the above description if thats why they were unavailable .2. if a post 74 f or m body(sl6 and stick) moved into cal from the other 49 and sought normal registration wouldnt it have to add more smog gadgets to pass emissions tests? cant believe they would just be excused. 3. what new gadgets would have to be installed or adjustments made to these models and of course their installation difficulty and cost. thanks tons bob f

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:34 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 64 Plymouth Valiant
There probably wasn't a CA version with a manual because the manufacturer couldn't get them to pass the CA emission standards.

There's no problem moving a car into california with 49 state emissions, if the following are true.

1. You're a non-resident moving into the state.
2. You're a resident who bought an out of state vehicle with more than 7500 miles on it.

It just needs the applicable emissions on it (CA or 49) and pass a smog test.

Rule 2 is often a problem with a resident buying an out-of-state motorcycle because it on has 100 miles on it after 10 years........... (usually Harleys bought during a mid-life crisis)

8)

Post subject: cal emissions
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:37 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
thank you emsvitil- not exactly sure why a sl6 with an automatic would pass cal emissions but one with a manual wouldnt pass. what do you think? so if i understand your perfectly clearly- a non cal resident brings in a 77 sl6 stick shift vehicle from nj or a cal resident buys the same nj vehicle in nj both would have to pass nj emission standards for that year, in california. both would have at least 7500 mileage. right? that would seem pretty tricky tokeep track of. what about if the car comes from a no inspection state? good though that one doesnt have to retrofit added emissions gadgets. thanks again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:57 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 64 Plymouth Valiant
When it comes into california, it just has to have the emission equipment it came with (49 or CA)

If it was ripped off, you're screwed.

8)