Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:46 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 370 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 525 Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:03 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
If it bothers anyone on what I am doing,I wont stop,,,but I wont submit my times or what I run so it wont go on record.I will know.I personally want to beat every record I can leagally.If you want it to bee street legal I would just add headlites,wipers? glass windshield?
Never thought it might bother someone on what I am doing.Takes alot of time ,money and effort to switch up classes.No one works harder at this than me.Guzzi Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:55 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model: 72' Dart Swinger / 62' Valiant
Mark, I read about your car and progress all the time. I think your car is amazing and the amount of hard work you put into it is really paying off. I think you should submit every record you break no matter what weight class your in. I like posting updates with new records I think it keeps the racers motivated to keep improving. I was not trying criticize what you are doing, because If I was able I would challenge as many records as I legally could too. I was just wondering if there were differences in the various weight classes, and Rob answered that.

My other question is a tube frame car still considered a doorslammer? Someday when the time and money allow, I would like to build a race only car, and challenge some of the fast guys.

For now I will stick to racing my street car. I think Seymour's signature line defines a "street car" best. "If you didn't drive it there its not a street car."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:49 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
After re doing alot of calculations,I am going too have a hard time getting the c gas record.Worried about what my rear suspension is going to do.Second guessing my 11.85 prediction.Think a 11.98 to a 12.12 is more likely.Really need to do a test and tune to see what it feels like.My rear springs now bow up.First time I have questioned a set up this much.Guzzi Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:08 pm 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model: 68 Valiant
ryandcovalt wrote:

My other question is a tube frame car still considered a doorslammer?

As long as it has functional doors it is a doorslammer. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:34 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Thanks Dennis, I thought that was the case, just wasn't sure.

Mark best of luck with the record attempt I hope you can get it. C/Gas record has stood for over 6 years, hope you can set the record even faster.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:01 am 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Car Model: More cars than sense...
Mark,

I have no problem whatsoever with you setting every record in the books! I think it's awesome that you have the talent and time to be able to do that.

Ryan,

Several of the record holding cars are tube chassis (with doors :D ) Norm Foster's Challenger, Will Burns' Barracuda, Dale Rose's Arrow, Tom (Leighton) Drake's Simca...

I’m Mater
The Kentucky Poser

Last edited by Rob Simmons on Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:37 am 

Car Model:
Mark,

I say go for any record you want! It's great to push folks along, and you are the man to do it!

Lou

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:02 am 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
ryandcovalt wrote:
For now I will stick to racing my street car. I think Seymour's signature line defines a "street car" best. "If you didn't drive it there its not a street car."

well i dont think this is really fair as i was able (funds and time) to drive my dart with 3.91's from Phx to Vegas...

some people are either to far away or cant afford to drive there car that far...

i got lucky and got 20mpg on the vegas trip... there and back...

but for a street car i think it needs to run on pump gas and pass DOT inspections... noise and tires being excluded...

Killer Bee's Member Since 09'
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/sho ... p?t=128702
http://www.youtube.com/user/805moparkid

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:37 pm 
EFI Slant 6

I know what you are saying. I guess that is why other racing groups split the street cars into so many different classes. You have pro-street style cars that can barely make 50 mile trips to qualify for the races, then you have pure street cars that pass state inspection and are driven daily everywhere.
I think if it is truly a street car it should be able to be driven everywhere. There is a big difference in a daily driver street car, and a pro street "street car". To me a daily driver will more than likely have an almost full interior and some creature comforts, while a pro street style car will be stripped but still have lights and inspection items and won't be driven regularly (maybe some weekends/races)

I actually really like pro street style cars that are barely street legal and need to be towed to races. (My Dads 65 Valiant will more than likely be like that) If I was ever to build a "race" car it would be a pro street style car just so I could say it was still street legal. However I would never personally consider it a true daily driver type street car unless it was actually something I drove on the street regularly.

I drove my Dart from pennsylvania to Elk Creek virginia in 100 degree high humidity weather, with 10" glass packs exiting in front of the back wheels and it was loud and miserable without AC. So I can understand towing something for the comfort of it (and incase something breaks) but I still think a true daily driver should be capable of being driven every day. I think towing a car would cost more too. I got 21-22 mpg with 4.30 gears (OD 4 spd) And if I towed the car I probably would've gotten 13-14 mpg with the truck. Luckily nothing broke and it was a fun weekend, and I plan to drive to Clay City in a month to try it again (hopefully some cooler weather too).

There is a lot to think about for rules (If it was to ever happen). Our local gas station has 110 octane turbo blue, would that count as pump gas? I would not think so, but technically it is a local pump gas (even if it is $8.00 a gallon). I would think street cars would have to run on DOT "street" tires (even slicks with DOT grooves in them) I would also think a street car would need mufflers of some sort.

Having a separate Pro Street Class and a Daily Driver class would be a lot of fun with the proper rules set up to distinguish the two. I just don't know if there are enough cars to have 2 groups and there would definitely be some disagreement when trying to establish the rules. It would be cool though.... after the rules were set.

I wasn't trying to say that Seymour's signature line is the only definition for a street car, I was just saying I like his definition, and I like the fact that he drove 500+ miles for the mason dixon ran low 13's and drove back home.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:55 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
ryandcovalt wrote:
I know what you are saying. I guess that is why other racing groups split the street cars into so many different classes. You have pro-street style cars that can barely make 50 mile trips to qualify for the races, then you have pure street cars that pass state inspection and are driven daily everywhere.
I think if it is truly a street car it should be able to be driven everywhere. There is a big difference in a daily driver street car, and a pro street "street car". To me a daily driver will more than likely have an almost full interior and some creature comforts, while a pro street style car will be stripped but still have lights and inspection items and won't be driven regularly (maybe some weekends/races)

I actually really like pro street style cars that are barely street legal and need to be towed to races. (My Dads 65 Valiant will more than likely be like that) If I was ever to build a "race" car it would be a pro street style car just so I could say it was still street legal. However I would never personally consider it a true daily driver type street car unless it was actually something I drove on the street regularly.

I drove my Dart from pennsylvania to Elk Creek virginia in 100 degree high humidity weather, with 10" glass packs exiting in front of the back wheels and it was loud and miserable without AC. So I can understand towing something for the comfort of it (and incase something breaks) but I still think a true daily driver should be capable of being driven every day. I think towing a car would cost more too. I got 21-22 mpg with 4.30 gears (OD 4 spd) And if I towed the car I probably would've gotten 13-14 mpg with the truck. Luckily nothing broke and it was a fun weekend, and I plan to drive to Clay City in a month to try it again (hopefully some cooler weather too).

There is a lot to think about for rules (If it was to ever happen). Our local gas station has 110 octane turbo blue, would that count as pump gas? I would not think so, but technically it is a local pump gas (even if it is $8.00 a gallon). I would think street cars would have to run on DOT "street" tires (even slicks with DOT grooves in them) I would also think a street car would need mufflers of some sort.

Having a separate Pro Street Class and a Daily Driver class would be a lot of fun with the proper rules set up to distinguish the two. I just don't know if there are enough cars to have 2 groups and there would definitely be some disagreement when trying to establish the rules. It would be cool though.... after the rules were set.

I wasn't trying to say that Seymour's signature line is the only definition for a street car, I was just saying I like his definition, and I like the fact that he drove 500+ miles for the mason dixon ran low 13's and drove back home.

2x on your whole post... there should be a deciding factor for two classes... as you called it "true street" and "Pro Street/Race"!!

also i would be very interested how the classes times post! i know race cars are faster but see what a "true street" car could do!

P.S. what set up is seymour running? out here that race is great for the benches!

Killer Bee's Member Since 09'
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/sho ... p?t=128702
http://www.youtube.com/user/805moparkid

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:17 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
what are NHRA classes and such..
what Im saying I could build a slant six drag bike..
what class would that be?
would i be allowed to race in this series?

ps I have no plans to build such a vehicle..but u c the direction...

issues

I like NHRA rules..they B original

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:39 pm 
Guru

Car Model:
Any type of vehicle can run for SL6 points, it just has to be powered by a Chrysler SL6 engine.
DD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:07 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
I say keep it simple,,,AS IS.If you try to get into daily driven,and mostly stock interior,your opening up a can of worms.Driven to the track might mean unloading 2 miles away and driveing it in.My other stock restored 62 Valiant,FULL restored interior,body and drive train wouldnt qualify cause I only drive it on the weekends???I say dont even get into this further.MY OPINION.Guzzi Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:20 am 

Car Model:
We discussed this over and over about 4-8 yrs ago. There are never enough cars to split them up. Even if you have 20 cars at a race, do you really want to have 2 classes? We have the record brackets for a range of cars, and just added D to fit heavy (street type) cars and trucks. I don't see such a class division happening...

Yep, keep it simple for the rules. For bragging rights, go for it!

I am working toward a high 12 sec fatass car with turbo that is driven everywhere and is reliable. High 14s so far on 9psi and driven from MN to NE to MN to VA to NC to VA in the last 2 months...

Lou

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:07 am 
EFI Slant 6

Mark, I think if you re-read the post you will see i'm not trying to start a new class, only THINKING out loud. We were simply discussing the difference between a Pro Street style car and a Pure street style car, because everyone has a different opinion on what a street car it.

Pro Street style: a race car with lights/windshield etc. probably towed to the track but still street legal. (This is probably what my dads car will be in the near future)

Pure Street style: What you drive regularly. (or is capable of being driven regularly)

Lou, I would never want to split the slant six race into 2 separate groups. I was just thinking out loud for records keeping only. I was just thinking a "street" type class might be fun and not much more work to keep track of on this records page. I think the new D class helps to fill the void much better than ever before.

I don't want anything that will hurt the /6 racing or make everyone angry...... Just thought keeping some street records wouldn't be much more difficult.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 370 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 525 Next