Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:55 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:46 am 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model:
Hey Folks,

This thread will be to gather everyone's thoughts about how best to change racing rules, and ideas on what rules to change.

We would like as many people as possible involved in these decisions, across the US and beyond, to make Slant 6 Racing the best it can be!

Thanks,

Lou

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:14 am 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Car Model: More cars than sense...
Thanks for posting this Lou.

I'll start the ball rolling with the topics that I have seen mentioned lately.

1. Re-looking the number of races you can count for points. Right now you can count points for up to 7 races. You use your best 4 for racing points and just get the 1 attendance point for the remaining 3 races. Some have discussed changing that rule.

2. The new 2-Day race format. It has seemed to work well for the East Coast this year and there has been mention that the Killer Bees may adopt this technique next year. There has been some discussion that we need to make the number of races between East and West Coast equal to allow all racers the same opportunity to earn points.

3. Allowing 1/8 mile split times to count for a record run on a 1/4 mile pass. Some discussion from the West Coast racers (where 1/4 mile tracks are more common) to allow this. Counter point that 1/8 mile tracks are more common in the East.

I'm nowhere close to competing for any points or records, so I don't really have a dog in the fight (so to speak). Just trying to help facilitate open discussion. Have a nice day! :D

I’m Mater
The Kentucky Poser

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:29 am 
Guru

Car Model:
I am thinking that we can schedule as many races as we want or can but only 7 would be for points.
Those points races need to be "declaired" at the beginning of the season.

One idea is to make all the other, "over 7" points races, worth an "I attended" point (or may-be 2 points?) but award no additional points for "round wins" during those events. This would encourage teams to schedule races in their area and races to attend lots of events. We may have to put in a "minimum car count" rule in place to make this realistic. (example, if it's a non-points event and 8 or more cars race, then they all get a "I attended" point) Doing this may help break ties.

I am thinking that we should limit the "double points" events to 2. (attend two events, run both days and it counts for 4 races)

Doing this would allow a racer to attend those 2 events and collect their points for 4. This leaves 3 "one day for points" races... which are needed for a few of the events. (example: Sacramento is a one day event so there is no chance to do a "double points" race there.)

Just "tossing" some ideas out there...
DD

Post subject: ?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:14 pm 
Board Sponsor & SL6 Racer

Car Model: 65 Valiant 2Dr Post
Quote:
Those points races need to be "declaired" at the beginning of the season.

Do you mean if there are 10 races 3 of them would not be points races for that season?

Wouldn't that discourage people from attending those events?

I kind of like just saying you can keep points from 7 events(or whatever # we choose) and get them wherever you can. 1 day events, 2 day events. your choice. I believe the 2 day events are here to stay in the East.

Rick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:59 pm 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Car Model: More cars than sense...
Hey Rick,

I think what Doc meant was that the racer has to "declare" which races s/he will be counting.

Like Charlie did at Elk Creek saying he wouldn't count points to allow for points earning at future races.

I’m Mater
The Kentucky Poser

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:06 pm 

Car Model:
Rick
I agree. My ONLY concern with the 2 day deal and ONLY 4 races is some of the guys will race a couple of (close to them) races then after that they wont go anywhere else.
As we have to travel a good long way to go to ANY race we love the 2 day points races.

I guess my question is why limit the points to 4 races with 3 additional races worth 1 point? Or do you just keep racing and use your best scores to replace the worst ones?
My02.
Frank

178" FED
82 D150
All Slant powered

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:14 pm 
Guru

Car Model:
Currently, you race and count you best 4 at the end of the season.
DD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:26 pm 
SSRN National Champion

Car Model:
Hi everyone, I agree with Rick the two day events have worked out great this year in the east. It gives us an extra race without the added traveling expense which is a big thing for everyone. Doc I agree with declaring your intention on running for points but not at the beginning of the season. Too many things happen that are unforseen. Doing it before qualifying seems to work very well. As far as the number of events allowed to run for points I feel 10 would be a good number with the five best counted for points. But if it remains at four I know we all can live with that. I just think if seven is the number of races we can run the attendance is going to suffer in the others. Maybe I don't understand your meaning about double points events. We have two races at each track but count each as singles. Your suggestion of 2 attendance points for "all" races attended would be good to keep people from not showing and help with tie breakers at the end of the season.

Just throwing these thoughts out.

Thanks Ron Hamby

Post subject: The West
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:34 pm 

Car Model: 65 Valiant 2Dr Post
It may help to have an idea of how many races the west coast folks could see as being a 2 race weekend?

Rick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:41 pm 
Guru

Car Model:
Quote:
...Doc I agree with declaring your intention on running for points but not at the beginning of the season. Too many things happen that are unforseen.

Agreed...
My statement is more about setting a nation-wide number of points races each group can schedule for the season... not having racers commit to which they are going to run for points.

Example: Lets say the teams can have 7 points races for 2012... but actually schedule 10 races for the season. We would have to state which 7 would be for points and the other 3 would be "no points". (unless we agree that the "I attended" bonus points idea is something we want to try)

To keep the number of races the same for both teams seems fair to me... even if the "Westerners" have to travel more to get to them.

We may want to have Kearney as an automatic points race, for both teams so it would not be counted as one of the 7 for each region.

As for possible 2 day West events, Redding, Woodburn, Samoa are likely the best choices.
Las Vegas, Medford and possibly Phoenix because these are also 2 day + events but we would need some discussion with the track, to make sure we could run our separate group, on two different days.

Keep the ideas flowing!
DD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:08 pm 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
WOW! I am surprised to see so many wanting to change the rules? But, I haven't been involved that long....so maybe changing is good?.
Doug: Don't count out Sacramento. I am sure they would like a 2 day race.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:18 pm 
SSRN National Champion

Car Model:
Doc after I looked at your post again I realized what you meant by designating points vs. non points races at the beginning of the season. Pardon my misinterepration. My bad.
Thanks Ron

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:17 pm 
6 Pack Dart

Car Model:
Woodburn is going to be real hard to get a 2 day race as they have over 300 cars for both of the weekends. As it is now they let us run our race on Sat during the qualifing runs for the Sun race (that is why we run inline/flathead on Sun).

Richard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:13 am 
SL6 Racer

Car Model:
I am not running this year but my two cents. Each team or whoever can get a race schedule do it ,do not limit the number of dates. As long as there is a limit of point earning races that is not a disadvantage to anyone.
If we could do an analysis of how many races the more regular menbers attend per year that would give you an indication of whether 4 max or more is the right number.In my opinion total points earned is the only number that means anything and what encourages the most participation. At least a point should be earned for each race attended ,no limit.
To me seven max races total points ,if you attend 10 your best 7 count,no declaring. simple to understand and follow. Its an expensive hobbie and this would favor the guy that can afford to travel some but again would make for the better car counts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:33 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model: 1974 Plymouth Duster
I would be hesitant to label which races on the schedule would be for points, leaving out other races from the points series. I would think that could contribute to a lower car count (even if you were to give 1 or 2 participation points for attending). The main reason to attend a race is usually for points, since the purses are not always large. I would prefer for the drivers to decide which races work for them to count for points, and not other drivers deciding for them.
I like giving racers 1 point for each race attended, no matter how many they attend with an exception. Each racer should publicly state before qualifying session if they are going to count the race for points or not. If a racer has the time and money to go to as many races possible, let'em do it! We should want as many racers at each race as possible!
I'm okay with having a limit on number of points races counted, and would recommend it being an odd number (3,5,7,9...).
Not sure we should limit one side of the country to number of races versus the other side. If there are more people showing up and racing on one side versus the other, let's not punish those showing interest in the sport by forcing them to cancel races.
I think having a limit on individual points races makes more sense.

Brian

74 Duster, 225, rear-mounted blow through turbo at 12psi boost, street/strip car
"Sixy Beast"