Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:30 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 58 Next
 Post subject: ?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:22 pm 
Board Sponsor & SL6 Racer

Car Model: 65 Valiant 2Dr Post
Quote:
I'm okay with having a limit on number of points races counted, and would recommend it being an odd number (3,5,7,9...).

Is there a reason that an odd number of races counted would be better? Since all of the East coast races are 2 day events would an even number be better? Not saying your wrong, I'm just wondering.

Rick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:00 am 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model: 1974 Plymouth Duster
Rick, I was thinking that having an odd number of races count towards points (really had in mind 5) would prevent a racer from only having to attend 2 race weekends potentially to win the championship. With the shift towards two-race events, I would prefer the champ to earn the trophy over more than just 2 events.

Brian

74 Duster, 225, rear-mounted blow through turbo at 12psi boost, street/strip car
"Sixy Beast"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:45 am 
Site Admin

Car Model: 2023 Eichman Digger?
I like the "No maximum" on the number of events held. More racing oportunities. All races scheduled at the start of the year as points races. No last minute scheduling of points races. No rainout replacements. Actual points for team and event round winners based on actual car count attending, no guaranteed points. Show up solo, take home 11 points. Gotta stage though! :wink:

I like the best of 5 races for personal points as mentioned above. No Maximum to the number of races that can be attended and used for that pool of results. Simple, and rewards the racer that attends the most races. Sure, it takes more time and money to improve one's chance at the championship. Attend more races, and potentially have a greater pool of results to count toward the championship.

National Champion buys beverages at his/her respective banquet! :lol: (Whether any other rules get changed or not!)

2¢

CJ

Post subject: Rainouts
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:56 am 

The only race we have in the North East is Mason Dixon. We got a rain out on both days of racing last year(2010). And we rescheduled for 2 months later, giving us time to notify everyone and pick the date that suited the most people. This is also one of our largest events on the East side. I think we need to be able to reschedule a rain out. Maybe say it has to be at least 2 weeks out or a month out.

2 more cents :D

PS. We did discuss at the banquet the year before that I would like to reschedule this event if it got rained out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:00 am 

Quote:
I would prefer the champ to earn the trophy over more than just 2 events.

Ok Brian, and I agree, that makes sense. Is there any reason not to count 6 then? Since we are doing a lot of 2 race events.

Thanks,

Rick

To all, keep the ideas flying!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:10 am 
EFI Slant 6

Rick, it can be more than 5 if that's what racers want. I was initially thinking about the western racers that do not have a lot of 2 race weekends (although that could change?). I was also thinking of odd number of races to cut down on possibility of ties, but forgot about the single point for attending races that would take care of any ties.

Brian

74 Duster, 225, rear-mounted blow through turbo at 12psi boost, street/strip car

"Sixy Beast"

Post subject: Minimum point guarantee
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:41 am 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Car Model: More cars than sense...
Here's another one to throw out there for everyone's consideration:

The Knoxville race this weekend wound up only being a 30 point race both days. Our rules guarantee that the winner of any Slant 6 points race will be guaranteed at least as many points as the prior year’s number of entrants would have produced (to a maximum of 40). (See full rule excerpt below).

The point I bring up is this: With the new 2-day race format, I propose that wording be added to the rules for the 2012 season and beyond stating: "...the winner of any Slant 6 points race will be guaranteed at least as many points as the prior year’s number of entrants would have produced (to a maximum of 40). For 2-day races the guarantee will be for that day only (eg. Friday for Friday, Saturday for Saturday, Sunday for Sunday).

Here's the excerpt from the Knoxville race thread where the situation was brought up:

Dart270 wrote:
Quote:
We should check rules and attendance from last year, but these might count 40 pts for the winners.

Lou

Rob Simmons wrote:
Quote:
Knoxville was a 40 point race last year.

Here's the note from the rules:

Quote:
-As an aid to planning, the winner of any Slant 6 points race will be guaranteed at least as many points as the prior year’s number of entrants would have produced (to a maximum of 40). For example if last year’s first round included 6 cars (including qualified no shows) the race would be decided in three rounds generating a 30 point guarantee for the current year. If there are enough cars to produce a four round race this year, the guarantee will be irrelevant. A 30 point guarantee will generally be offered for a race that wasn’t held in the prior year, but in a case where there is little basis to expect a five car turnout, a new race may only have a 20 point guarantee. The number of points guaranteed for a race win will be indicated on the schedule published in the SSRN

So, for points counting I assume I simply add 10 points to the winner(s).

Since this is the first year for 2-day races we need to make a call if the 40 point guarantee counts for both days or just for Saturday.

My opinion is that the guarantee would only count for Saturday since that is what the prior year offered. I will add this point to the "rule change thread" to get more eyes on it.

I’m Mater
The Kentucky Poser

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:56 pm 
SSRN National Champion

Car Model:
Rob Last year Knoxville had 8 cars on Friday and 9 on Sat. for a 30 point race Friday, and a 40 point Sat. FYI.
Ron

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:09 pm 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Thanks Ron. I went back and looked again at 2010.

It DOES show two Knoxville races! :shock: My Bad...:oops: In fact, 2009 had a Friday and Saturday race at Knoxville too! :shock: And I thought this 2-Day race thing was something new... :lol:

So, if it was a 30 and 40 point race for Friday and Saturday last year, it would make sense that Gary be guaranteed the 40 points for his win on Saturday. Charlie just gets his 30 points for Friday because last year was only a 30 point race, right?

I’m Mater
The Kentucky Poser

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:28 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Rob, you are correct!

Brian

"Sixy Beast"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:50 am 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model:
Great. Glad you guys sorted that out. Thanks much.

Lou

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:20 am 
Site Admin

Car Model: 2023 Eichman Digger?
I disagree with points guarantees. Actual car count.

CJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:23 am 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model:
I'm glad everyone is voicing opinions and ideas here. Keep it coming!

Points guarantees is certainly one we should look at again, especially given the 2-day race formats. That is a relatively recent rule (5-6 yrs ago?).

Lou

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:10 am 
6 Pack Dart

Car Model:
The Medford race was canceled last year & so was Redding. Does that mean both races would have to start with this years car count or go with 2009's car count?
On the West side I believe we use the actual car count at what ever race.
Richard

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:56 am 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

I think the below wording from the rules was written mainly focused on brand new races being added to the schedule for the first time, but it says:

Quote:
A 30 point guarantee will generally be offered for a race that wasn’t held in the prior year, but in a case where there is little basis to expect a five car turnout, a new race may only have a 20 point guarantee.

The Redding race in May 2010 was a 40 point race.

In 2009 both Redding races (May & October) and the one Medford race were all 40 point races.

That brings up 2 more points of clarification(if the point guarantee is used or even remains in the rules for next year):

1. On the West Coast you haven't yet had 2-Day races, but you have had two races at the same location.

So it makes sense that the point guarantee correlate to the specific race from the previous year. Redding #1 (May), Redding #2 (Oct) etc...

2. Clarify the wording above to cover cancelled races from the previous year. Do we go back 2 years for the guarantee? Or would it fall under this 30 point guarantee?

Thanks for the continued input.

I’m Mater
The Kentucky Poser

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 58 Next