Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:17 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 68 Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:02 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
I really dont care,I know what my car does,I do think the best way to decide any changes would bee with a vote.My Opinion.I wont even vote unless its a tie.Just really trying to stir some stuff up on the forumn,been boreing lately.Guzzi Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:52 am 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model:
I totally agree on the "tell everyone there before 1st round" and that is what I did this last year. I think that's the way the rule reads anyway. 'Course I won 2 rounds after opting out of points at Elk Creek... :oops:

1/8 vs. 1/4: Why can't West Coasters just run 1/8 mile races at their 1/4 mile tracks? About every 1/4 mile race I've ever been to has a "fast" class where the guys run 1/8 mile (cars with 150+ in 1/8 and they don't want to run 1/4 due to high speeds). No reason why the Slants can't just request an 1/8 mile race on one or both days of a race weekend. We have had 1/8 mile races on 1/4 tracks once or twice in the East.

In fact, I like this idea so much I might suggest this for some of our Eastern 1/4 mile races. Rick???

Lou

Post subject: ?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:49 pm 
Board Sponsor & SL6 Racer

Car Model: 65 Valiant 2Dr Post
Quote:
Rick???

Don't you go messing with the East Coast's 1st 50 point race in a long while by making it an 1/8 mile! :lol: :lol:

Really I think we should discuss this at the banquet.

Plus there is still a small downside to having an 1/8 one day and 1/4 the next. What if someone breaks a record on the last run of the first day? He needs to have a backup run at that event, but would not be able to due to different format the next day. May never happen but just a thought.

Rick

Post subject: Rule
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:58 pm 

From the rules:

"-A competitor may elect to waive points at a race he has already entered as long as he does so before the first round pairings are determined. If you wish to waive points you must communicate this decision to the SSRN representative and/or at least two other race entrants. This must be done before the first round ladder is drawn up."

I would suggest that the race coordinator let everyone know when the ladder is being drawn up. Then anyone who wants to witness this can. Also racers can let their wishes be know to everyone if they wish to waive any points at that time.

Rick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:14 pm 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Car Model: More cars than sense...
I still favor and will vote for 1/8th mile records being required to be run on an 1/8th mile run rather than being allowed to use the 1/8th mile split on a 1/4 mile pass. Just the way I feel, right / wrong / or indifferent.

(And this coming from someone who has only run 1/4 mile and is sponsoring the Clay City race [which is a 1/4 mile race])

That being said, if racers at the Clay City race want to run 1/8th mile I'm sure they would adjust for us. They have other classes running 1/8th mile. It's a pretty easy switch for them.

We will need to discuss and vote on this idea of setting 1/8 mile records at a Slant 6 race that is run on the 1/4 mile and vice versa - See second quote below.

The rules only require that a back up run be made at that event. Not necessarily during the Slant 6 race. It could be Friday Test & Tune, other class, trophy dash, etc. As long as it is during that event. So there are other opportunities for record setting at the same event.

Quote:
Records can only be set at events that feature a Slant Six Racing News points race. Any run during these events, including tune ups, time trials, or race rounds in the Slant 6 or other bracket races will qualify. If it is three day event with the Slant 6 race on Saturday, records can be set on Friday or Sunday also. It is necessary to back up any record performance with a second run within 1% at the same event. If you think you have qualified for a record, contact SSRN and we will send you a form to complete. On the form you will attest to your car's weight and fuel usage. You must also send in the timing slips for your record and back up runs or copies of the same.

Quote:
Eighth mile records can only be set at eighth mile Slant 6 events such as Wilkesboro or Farmington. Eighth mile splits on quarter mile time slips don’t count. At races like Clay City or Bristol where the Slant 6 race is run on the quarter mile but some other brackets are run on the eighth, we will accept quarter mile records only.

I’m Mater
The Kentucky Poser

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:08 pm 

Quote:
The rules only require that a back up run be made at that event. Not necessarily during the Slant 6 race. It could be Friday Test & Tune, other class, trophy dash, etc. As long as it is during that event. So there are other opportunities for record setting at the same event.

Thanks for correcting me.

Rick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:30 am 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
ok as a continuation from the other thread about the weight classes i have an idea...

change D/g so it falls with the same scale as the rest...

but then create a "true street" class... restrictions would be treaded tires (no slicks or cheater slicks, also maybe a width restriction)

pump gas, have to find a happy medium as the west coast only has 91 and east has 93/96??

no boost,no juice, no meth/water injection systems...

you see where im going? what do you think?

Killer Bee's Member Since 09'
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/sho ... p?t=128702
http://www.youtube.com/user/805moparkid

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:51 am 

Car Model:
In the racing associations I deal with more grief is centered around "stock" or "street" classes than all the rest put together.

The current setup just says what the car has to weigh....a very easy thing to tech.....

.....as soon as you say Stock someone thinks about cheating....or whining.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:17 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
sandy in BC wrote:
In the racing associations I deal with more grief is centered around "stock" or "street" classes than all the rest put together.

The current setup just says what the car has to weigh....a very easy thing to tech.....

.....as soon as you say Stock someone thinks about cheating....or whining.

i totally understand... but you have to remember we dont have a bunch of ford and chevy guys here trying to compete with something they cant...

lol

Killer Bee's Member Since 09'
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/sho ... p?t=128702
http://www.youtube.com/user/805moparkid

Post subject: Records/ Personal bests
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:27 pm 

Quote:
The current record chasers are setting the bar mighty high for the future racers. It will take a lot of dedication, hard work and more money to break a lot of these records. And that is how it should be.

I guess what I'm thinking is that in the future we will see less runs for records instead of more.

I stand by the above quote. If 1/8 mile splits are given or even if there are some scheduled 1/8 mile races out West the records will fall in a hurry and it is likely that Mark will hold many of those. I am fine with that. But his hard work and dedication has pushed the bar higher than most of us can ever hope for. I am fine with that also. So for those of us mere mortals who are left, what will motivate us? I think it will be having a goal of our own, and having a personal best to be proud of. And I am fine with that also.

By the end of this racing season we will know whether I am correct or full of hot air. But I think we will see a smaller and smaller group of people who are willing and able to chase a record. Those who are not part of that small group should be proud to chase a personal best.

I hope to run 14"s this year. A new "race" motor I will build over the next couple years should get me into the 13's. And my ultimate goal will be to have my Valiant run a 12.99. That 12.99 will be every bit as important to me as Mark's (Or anyone else's) 10.50 record.

Just more opinions.

Rick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:53 pm 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Car Model: More cars than sense...
I hope the rules don't change, but you're right to set personal best goals.

Once I learn a few things I may have a chance at some actual records with the Challenger. The Duster will be all personal bests.

***BREAK***

Lou posted in the "Records" thread to bring all "Rule Change" discussions over into this thread as there was getting to be quite a bit of cross-talk between the two threads.

The main "Hot Topics" I've seen so far are:

1. 1/8th mile splits counting for records during a 1/4 mile pass.

2. The number of races counted for points. Currently 7 with your best 4 counting for round wins and the remaining 3 just being the 1 "participation point".

3. Weight breaks between the different classes. Dennis Schumers brought up the point that each class does not offer the same spread between weight classes.

4. Guaranteed minumum points using the points total from the previous year's race.

Ready... Discuss! :D

I’m Mater
The Kentucky Poser

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:06 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 64 Plymouth Valiant
Outside view since I'm not racing......

1/8 splits sound fair.

If you're running a 1/4 and geared for the 1/4 and still beat a 1/8 time at the split, why shouldn't it count. You're at a slight disadvantage to someone that's geared for the 1/8 run....

and

Best 7 runs. (just like in school when you could throw out your worst score(s))

Best 7 runs seems like it would make you try to show up to more events.

If you have already used your 7 runs, there's no incentive to show up and try to do better..............

8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:53 pm 
6 Pack Dart

Car Model:
4. Guaranteed minumum points using the points total from the previous year's race.
Seems like a total car count would be more realistic and fair, if you cannot get the cars to the race why use last years count.

Richard

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:37 pm 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Car Model:
I am not in favor of 1/8 mile splits. Example:
My Barracuda set a D/N 1/4 mile record at Hagerstown. The 1/8 split would have given me the 1/8 mile record. I wanted the 1/8 mile record, so towed a looong way to Elk Creek (1/8mile). I broke at Elk Creek. I probably would not have gone to Elk Creek if I had gotten the 1/8 mile record at hagerstown.

I could be wrong, but if I remember correctly, when I started in the series, the only 1/8 mile race was Wilkesborro, and I remember many racers saying they did not want a 1/8 mile race. As things went on we added more and more 1/8 mile races. How are the 1/8 mile races going to have a 1/4 mile split?

64 Valiant Signet
64 Valiant 4dr 170

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:43 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
How many 1/8th mile races this year?600 miles is a loong way,,680 miles to Eureka is looonger and I have done that the past 2 years alone.Split for the 1/4 at a 1/8th mile track doesnt make any sense.I run my car at the local 1/8th track set up the same way as the 1/4.Mark

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 68 Next