Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:19 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: distributor install
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:12 pm 
1 BBL (New)

Car Model:
Alright, I'm trying to install the distributor this week, and I only barely know what I'm doing. My current problem is finding top dead center. I would be very grateful for any tips on how to do this correctly and efficiently.

So far, I have been unsuccessful turning the engine by hand. The electrical is almost all hooked up, so I may be able to use the starter to turn the engine. Problem with this is I am working by myself and I don't have a way to engage the starter remotely.

If it matters, the engine in question is in a 1966 Dodge D-200 pickup. Thanks for all advice!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:23 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
You can run a switch between the starter and battery, then you put the key in your car turned full and you can engage the starter from under the hood when you want.

Did you pull out the spark plugs to rotate the engine easier? I found a long handled wrench made it easier for me.

If you pull the plug of cylinder number one you can put a coat hanger into the cylinder (or anything for that matter) and when you rotate the engine you will see when the cylinder is at TDC.

Hopefully this is of some help to you. If you search TDC you'll find what you need.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:28 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
This post might help get you on the right track.

Post subject: remote starter
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:14 pm 
1 BBL (New)

Car Model:
Thanks for the tips. I went ahead and got a remote starter switch to bump the engine over. Here's my new question: I plan to pull the smaller gauge wire between the solenoid and relay and replace it with the switch wires. Will this work? Is there a better way? The instructions with the switch were not super clear.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:11 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
The switch will have two clip-wires. There are also two threaded studs on the starter motor, one large and one small. Connect one clip-wire to each of the studs, without disconnecting or otherwise altering any of the vehicle's wires. Pushing the switch will now operate the starter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:20 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 76 D100
Usually a remote start switch attaches one end to the starter motor positive battery feed and the other to the smaller terminal on the starter motor that comes from the starter relay. You shouldn't need to disconnect any wiring, or even have the key in the "on" position. in fact, having the key in the "on" position and using a remote start switch to turn the motor over is a good way to start the engine and seriously hurt yourself.

You can achieve the same result a using a remote start switch by jumping the terminals on the starter motor with a screwdriver.

To find TDC, simply turn the crank by hand (using the fan and belts as levers/handholds) until the timing mark is lined up with TDC. The only caveat is that the timing mark will line up with TDC at TDC on the compression and on the exhaust strokes. You want to have the engine on TDC on the compression stroke. The easiest way to find TDC on the compression stroke it to remove the #1 spark plug and feel for air coming out of the hole as the motor is turned. However, if you need both arms to rotate the motor and don;t have a friend to feel for air, the next easiest way to make sure you are TDC on the compression stroke is to remove the valve cover and watch the movement of the #1 cylinder intake valve. Rotate the motor until the intake valve opens and closes (the intake valve is the valve immediately inboard from the intake manifold runner). After the intake valve closes, rotate the motor until the timing mark is a TDC. The motor is now at TDC on the compression stroke.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:54 am 
1 BBL (New)

Car Model:
Really glad I asked - thanks to you both!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 6:30 am 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
Thank-you Reed!

I will be more thorough in my responses, and will perhaps think before I post more often ;).