Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:55 am

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 9:30 am 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Car Model: More cars than sense...
This is an excerpt from the Turismo 225 thread that I posted back in February 2008 from Germany:

Quote:
I just sent Seymour a letter and warned him that I am aiming to build a car that can unseat him as the A/Gas and/or B/Gas record holder! It will take mid 11's on nothing but motor to make it happen, but I will have the aerodynamic advantage of the Turismo body style to compete against his stylish, but somewhat aerodynamically challenged '62 Valiant. I'm sure he will appreciate the competition.

A couple things have happened since then...

1. It will now take LOW 11's to take anything away from either Seymour in A/Gas (11.487) or Mark Etheridge in B/Gas (11.500). Seymour's best of 11.363 isn't in the record books (yet!)

2. Turismo 225 looks like it will be replaced by something MUCH further along to making any serious record attempts happen :wink: . The wording, "...the aerodynamic advantage of the Turismo body style..." will need to be changed to, "...the aerodynamic advantage of the Challenger body style..." :shock:

The Challenger in question is Norm Foster's '81 Dodge (Mitsubishi) Challenger that currently holds the A/Alcohol 1/8th mile record at 7.355.

Seymour holds both of the A and B Gas 1/8th mile records at 7.250 and 7.333 respectively, so there is still quite a bit of work to be done! (Norm told me that switching over to alcohol dropped his 1/4 mile ET by about a tenth to run 11.60s)

My hope is that the new race engine Gary Bruner built for me, along with a couple other little tweaks here and there, will give me the edge to make up the couple tenths needed to re-set one of those records! :shock:

I’m Mater
The Kentucky Poser

Last edited by Rob Simmons on Wed May 25, 2011 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 6:10 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
Rob, you are on the right track replacing all your projects with one good car. If you follow Gary's advice it should be fast but you have to get down to 7.10 or so in the eighth. Watch out for Guzzi, he is taking out weight to go for those A/G records.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 9:04 pm 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model:
Would love to see Rob in Norm's Li'l Chal setting some records. So far all we've seen is smoke and talk, so bring it. Seymour's response is to go faster and post his times... :P :P :o Yep, one car is the way to proceed. Course, I should talk...

Lou (ducking for cover)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 6:04 am 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Exner Geek wrote:
Rob, you are on the right track replacing all your projects with one good car. If you follow Gary's advice it should be fast but you have to get down to 7.10 or so in the eighth. Watch out for Guzzi, he is taking out weight to go for those A/G records.

Thanks Seymour. This is the right way to go. It's just taken me a lot longer than most to get there. :lol:

Gary has said that he wants to be there for the initial fire up and tune. I'll be following Gary's advice. Gerald is also a huge help and continues to show more and more interest in the Slant 6. :wink: I was really happy that he made the effort to go to the banquet this year.

I'm certain that this new engine is quite a bit more than Norm's current engine.

Gerald and I have been talking about a couple other little tweaks that will help as well.

Norm said the Challenger is 2050 without driver. Could you remind me what yours and Mark's weigh now? I know you've both been continuing to take out weight. I may be better off focusing on adding just enough weight to hit the very bottom of B/Gas. I doubt I'll be able to remove enough weight to get to the bottom of A/Gas with driver.

I’m Mater
The Kentucky Poser

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 6:16 am 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Dart270 wrote:
So far all we've seen is smoke and talk

Lou (ducking for cover)

Ouch! :(

I suppose I could come back with something about competing requirements like raising four kids and dedicating my life to DEFENDING YOUR FREEDOM!,... but that would be petty and uncalled for. :P

I've admitted several times to being a "poser" who's all talk and no action. This may be no different, but it keeps me entertained... :lol:

I’m Mater
The Kentucky Poser

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 8:17 am 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
Rob you don't necessarily have to get to the minimum weight to get a record you just have to be faster than whoever has it now. I am shooting for 2125 with driver but not quite there yet. You are better off in A class than B, I can see an 11.20 some day in A but there is no way I could go 11.50 at 2350# with my present engine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 9:14 am 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Thanks again Seymour.

Once I get the Challenger and really look it over closely I may find some additional weight savings. I have the notes you sent me several years ago about lightening a race car. :wink:

I already know that the passenger side "funny car type" roll cage additions don't need to be there... (Couple pounds)

Then there is the extra curve to the door bars that need to be changed anyway... (Maybe a few ounces there)

Gerald said, "They got a little creative with the roll cage..." (more weight savings...?)

I'm a pound or two lighter than Norm... (Maybe I should deploy to Afghanistan again and get back down to 150 like I was a few months ago... :shock: )

Check my math:

Challenger = 2050
Rob = 180
Total = 2230

Seymour total 2125 (proposed)

Guzzi total 2125-150 = Let's just say he's at the very bottom of A/Gas :wink:

So, if I'm already 2 tenths away and roughly 200 pounds heavier with each 100 pounds being equal to a tenth, I'm more like 4 tenths away! :shock: (I know that math isn't accurate. I'm just being silly :D )

Nevertheless, I'm just excited that a record may actually be possible after all! :D :D

It's really good to see you excited about going fast and setting records again!

We may not have the same 9 and 10 second cars showing up and running Fast Four competitions like in years past, but this sure is fun! :D :D

I’m Mater
The Kentucky Poser

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 9:53 am 

Car Model:
Quote:
Ouch!

I suppose I could come back with something about competing requirements like raising four kids and dedicating my life to DEFENDING YOUR FREEDOM!,... but that would be petty and uncalled for.

Yep, I knew I deserved that one, but couldn't resist stirring the pot... :oops:

Slant on, brother. You can set some records!

Lou

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 11:24 am 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

That's one of the many reasons I love you Lou. :wink:

I'm pretty excited about all of this. :D It HAS been a lot of smoke and talk for many years, that's for sure!

Norm was very glad when I called him and told him it was a Go! He really wants it to stay "in the Family". He was about to pull the trigger on trading it for a '65 V8 street car. Now he's gonna focus on his grandson's Scamp instead. It doesn't need much at all to get it back on the road/track. Win/Win for everyone! :D :D

I’m Mater
The Kentucky Poser

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 11:54 am 

Car Model:
Perfect. See you on the starting line at Bristol. :twisted:

Wanna come to Elk Creek and drive Slantkota 1 or 2 of the races? I may have another driver for 1 of the races.

Lou

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 12:03 pm 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Thanks for that offer! :D

I am planning on making it to Elk Creek, but hope to have something to drive myself by then! :shock:

If not, I will definitely take you up on driving Slantkoda. (Although the last time you offered that at Clay City I may have jinxed you... :oops: )

I’m Mater
The Kentucky Poser

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 6:15 am 

Car Model:
Look forward to seeing you there in July, then!

Chris E (ValiantOne) raced the Slantkota last weekend and I ran the V - no breakage...

Lou

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 10:06 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
Think I will go for the a gas record and will bee at 2325 which is a little heavy for that class.Seymore has run under 11.40 but not at a slant event.I think I can run a 11.40 ish at my lighter weight and get his record for a month or two.I know he will come back and get it in the 11.30s.My goal this year is to have a,b c gas records beat,if evan for a day.mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 4:17 am 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Car Model:
madmax/6 wrote:
Think I will go for the a gas record and will bee at 2325 which is a little heavy for that class.

Mark, got to get the weight out. It was discussed, that you cannot set a record for a higher class, at a hevier weight. Have to be the correct weight for the class.

64 Valiant Signet
64 Valiant 4dr 170

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 8:01 am 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
A gas is 2350 and under.If I run at 2325 I will bee in A gas.