Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:29 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 58 Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 9:21 am 
Supercharged

Car Model: 76 D100
Electronic ignition was first made optional in 72 and standard in 73. There was no factory electronic ignition in 67.

I am very curious as to what is under that round cover.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 2:31 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model: 1967 Dodge P200 Post Office Vehicle
65Dodge100 wrote:
Piston stop tool:

Hey Danny,
Found a bunch of them on line. Will probably get one the next time we're in Livingston.

Quote:
I didn’t search too much - you’ll have to find one that fits your spark plug holes. You screw the thing in. Rotate the engine clockwise by hand until the piston comes up (compression stroke) and touches the tool. Mark your damper. Then rotate the engine counter-clockwise until it bumps the stop again - mark your damper. The exact center between these two marks is true TDC.

And it can all be done without having to remove the Radiator! :)

BTW, have come up with the material with which to make the NEW Timing Tab. It is an OLD 7" diameter at the bottom, 7.5" at the top Aluminum Sauce Pan. The proper shape can be cut out of it and the curvature of the Pan will match the curvature of the Damper. This ought to be really SPIFFY.

Am going to make a cardboard template to ascertain the proper shape, and then will transfer that shape to the Sauce Pan and cut the shape out with a Cutting Wheel in the Craftsman RotoTool.

Quote:
I’m not sure that is the correct Pertronix kit for your van. I searched JC Witney and they don’t list one for a P200 van. Maybe they just don't know which one fits.

Found one that is supposed to fit at JC Whitney for $70.56. BUT after taking stock of the funds here, am going to have to put off the conversion for a while. Am instead going to use the money to get Lorrie insured, licensed, and inspected, and will drive her a while before doing anything more.

Quote:
I don’t know what the difference would be. They also don’t list one for a 67 pickup. Maybe they changed to electronic ignition in 67 and your engine has been changed? I don’t know.

There has been some mention about going to HEI instead of Pertronix. Am going to have to check that out.

Quote:
Here is the kit I used in my truck:

http://tinyurl.com/7ysvtly

If the link doesn’t work it’s Pertronix P/N 1361A. Just search for a 64 Dodge D100. I don’t now what would be different with yours just because it’s in a van. Maybe someone else knows and will let us know.

Would seem to me that any system that would fit a 225 Slant Six would fit Lorrie, but I could be wrong.

Quote:
Also the instructions say the Pertronix kit is made to be compatable with your original points style coil so there is no need to buy one.

Yeah, but it just seems poetic to get the 40,000 Volt Ignition Coil to go with the Pertronix Unit in the Distributor. And the Pertronics Spark Plug leads. Don't forget the Pertronics Spark Plug Leads.

Quote:
You can get a correct ohm coil that lets you bypass the ballast resistor and the new coil gets 12V. That would help the following problem but they are pretty costly.

The 40,000 Volt Ignition Coil is around $40.00.

Quote:
It also says to NOT remove the balast resistor if so equipped but the Pertronix requires a 12V switched source. The easy way to hook it up is one wire to each side of the coil but the coil only gets 4V-6V. I had trouble finding somewhere to connect mine. If you connect it to the 12V side of the ballast it draws too much amps or something and the coil doesn’t get enough voltage and causes other problems.

Don't know enough about this yet. It's going to take some studying.

Quote:
I wired mine with a relay - triggered by the high side of the ballast resistor but then it draws voltage from the hot wire on the starter.

Am completely in the dark about relays.

Quote:
SlantSixDan can help you with the parts and instructions. It’s not very hard. Take a look at his web site - the page about wiring headlights - and you'll get a good idea how to wire up a relay.

Alright.

Quote:
There is no timing tape for the slant 6 balancer. It’s too thin.

Measured Lorrie Damper. It is, as far as can be told, 7". Have figured out a way to make a Degree Wheel using the CorelDRAW5 Graphics Program. All that has to be done is draw a circle 7" in diameter. Put a single line from the center of the circle to the perimeter of the circle, and put to pivot point at the center of the circle, then set the preferences to rotate at one degree intervals. One would only need sixteen lines, and how far they are apart at the 3.5 radius would be the distance of one degree at the perimeter.

Quote:
Another of SlantSixDan’s good ideas was to mark it with different colors of nail polish. I'd have to look up the thread but I'm sure I'm not explaining it exactly right. Rotate engine 10 degrees, make a mark. Rotate another 10 degrees and make a different color mark. Repeat until you have all the marks you need.

And this would be for?

Quote:
One problem I’ve found is a timing light will only show up white marks so I’m not sure how well this works yet. You would need to write down the colors so you knew which was 10, 20, 30, etc.

Strangely, the Manual says that Lorrie's Timing should be at TDC. No need to have any degrees marked. Just plug the Vacuum Advance Tube, and set the Timing Mark on the Damper to where it should be when the Number One Piston is at TDC, and THAT'S it. Then wen the Vacuum Hose is reconnected, wouldn't the Vacuum Advance in the Distributor advance the spark to fire before TDC?

Anyway, Lorrie is running GREAT right now. No sticking Valves, no misses, shakes or rattles. Just need to adjust the Brakes and get her down off the Jack Stands to go for a test drive.

Will let you know what happens.

JC

Lorrie Van Haul - 1967 Dodge - P200 Post Office Vehicle - 225 Slant Six - Torqueflite A727 Automatic Transmission - Right Hand Drive Steering - Big Three HEI System - Frantz Oil Cleaner System - Bendix Stromberg Model W Carburetor

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 2:37 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Reed wrote:

Hey Reed,
Went out this morning and installed the NKG Spark Plugs, and then before starting Lorrie's Engine, the Round Cover was removed.

It's just a port to let heat from the Exhaust Manifolds into Lorrie's interior.

What is just below the hole is the top of the Bell Housing. No opening, or anything that would give one access to the Torque Converter.

So am going to proceed with the NEW Timing Tab fabrication.

Will have JPGs.

JC

Lorrie Van Haul - 1967 Dodge - P200 Post Office Vehicle - 225 Slant Six - Torqueflite A727 Automatic Transmission - Right Hand Drive Steering - Big Three HEI System - Frantz Oil Cleaner System - Bendix Stromberg Model W Carburetor

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 2:48 pm 
Supercharged

JCAllison wrote:
Reed wrote:

I seriously doubt that. Does your van have any provision for a standard coolant to air heat exchange heating system? I simply can't believe that Chrysler would be building vehicles in 1967 where the main system for heating the passenger area was to open a hole in the floor and let hot air enter the cab. Your van might have been a heater delete vehicle since it was just a mail van in Texas, but I seriously doubt that the factory intended that hole to be used as a heating system.

If there is no "timing window" below the hole then I suspect the hole was there for some option that was not ordered on your van, such as a manual transmission. Or, perhaps that hole is to provide access to the upper engine to transmission bolts to allow easier removal of the engine or transmission.

I look forward to the pictures.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 6:38 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

JCAllison wrote:

Quote:
I seriously doubt that.

Hey Reed,
Nonetheless, if one removes that cover, the result is that the heat from the Exhaust Manifold WOULD enter Lorrie's interior. Whether or not it was intended, that IS what it would do.

Quote:
Does your van have any provision for a standard coolant to air heat exchange heating system?

Not as such. There IS a small Radiator on the inside of the port Front Fender that had hoses from and back to the Water Pump, and a Squirrel Cage type Blower attached to it. But it was not intended to be a HEATER. It was intended to be a Defroster for the Front Windows.

Quote:
I simply can't believe that Chrysler would be building vehicles in 1967 where the main system for heating the passenger area was to open a hole in the floor and let hot air enter the cab.

Maybe it is one of the Better Ideas from Ford! I mean, if it was good enough for the 1929, '30, and '31 Model A... :)

Also, one has to take into consideration that it was a government bureaucrat who formulated the criterion for the vehicles used by the Post Office.

Actually though Reed, a heating system such as this hole is as pure and simple as the Rear View Mirror. They NOW are replacing the Rear View Mirror with CCTV, which translates into "Why use just one part when a couple of thousand will work as well?"

Quote:
Your van might have been a heater delete vehicle since it was just a mail van in Texas, but I seriously doubt that the factory intended that hole to be used as a heating system.

Wonder if there is any way to find out just what WAS intended for the Hole under the Round Cover.

Quote:
If there is no "timing window" below the hole

There isn't.

Quote:
then I suspect the hole was there for some option that was not ordered on your van, such as a manual transmission.

Were it for a manual transmission, it is poorly positioned. The reason I say that is because were Lorrie to have a manual transmission, the Hole under the Round Cover would be right on top of the Clutch Pressure Plate and Driven Disk.

Quote:
Or, perhaps that hole is to provide access to the upper engine to transmission bolts to allow easier removal of the engine or transmission.

There are no Bolts accessible through the Hole under the Round Cover.

Besides, the floor from the Rear of the Engine to the Back of the Front Doors, and from the port to starboard Step Wells is removable. When it is taken out, one has access to the ENTIRE Transmission.

I honestly don't know what that Hole under the Round Cover is for.

It is regarded as about the same as the mole on Cindy Crawfords upper lip! It's just one of them mysterious beauty marks! :)

Anyway, just got done going back over the ENTIRE Wiring System of the Stewart Warner 385CF Sender, and 82413 Fuel Gauge. Checked everything for continuity and resistance. Everything checks out and is connected as it should be.

THAT pretty much means that the Float Arm in the Tank is stuck in the Down Position. The only thing left to do is remove the Gas Tank and take the Sender Unit out and then probe the tank to see what is keeping the Float on the Float Arm from floating.

BUT, there IS one more thing that might be amiss here.

Have mentioned it, but have not had anyone speculate on it, and that is that when the 385CF Sending Unit arrived, it did not have a "Threaded Stud" onto which the fitting on the end of the Wire FROM the Sending Unit would fit. Instead, it had a Copper Screw.

The choices were:

Take the Fitting off the end of the Wire FROM the Sender, and replace it with an "Eye" fitting.

OR:

Take out the Copper Screw and replace it with a Threaded Stud as it is on the non-functional Chrysler Sender Unit so the ORIGINAL Fitting on the Wire FROM the Sender would fit.

The latter option was chosen.

BUT the Threaded Stud that got put into that Threaded Hole was NOT Copper, but Steel.

Could it be that the resistance in the Steel Threaded Stud is higher than the resistance in the Copper Screw? And THAT is what is causing the Fuel Gauge to read "E"?

I mean, S&W Gauges see 244 ohms as "E" and 33 ohms as "F".

It MIGHT be possible to remove the Fitting on the Wire FROM the Sender unit, then take out the Steel Threaded Stud, then put an "Eye" connection on the Wire FROM the Sender, and install it with the ORIGINAL Copper Screw. This could possibly be done without dropping the Fuel Tank. It would all have to be done by "feel", but I think it could be done.

Anyway, tomorrow will see the production of the NEW Timing Tab to go on the front of the Oil Pan.

JPGs will be subsequent.

Quote:
I look forward to the pictures.

ASAP.

JC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 10:34 pm 
Supercharged

A removable floor? This van is very intriguing, and appealing to me. I have looked around online and yours is the only one I have found. You have a very rare vehicle and it sounds very very interesting. Kind of wish I could find one. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 3:58 am 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
76 FSM confirms . Hole is for timing. Timing marks on torque converter . Index on transmission housing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 7:29 am 
Turbo Slant 6

Reed wrote:
A removable floor?

Hey Reed,
Yes. It includes the Transmission Hump in which the Hole under the Round Cover is found.

Quote:
This van is very intriguing, and appealing to me.

She is a sweetie for sure.

Quote:
I have looked around online and yours is the only one I have found.

Some time ago, I also did a Google Search, and found a website that declared the 1967 Dodge P200 Postal Van to be extinct.

Wrote the guy an E-Mail telling him that Lorrie, though in a coma, was still very much alive. He seemed incredulous. Demanded JPGs. They were sent, and his comment was: "Well, that's one of them. Probably the only one still in existence."

But a couple of months ago, over on the DodgeTalkForum, there appeared another P200 Postal Van, which got dubbed "Dorrie". It was built in 1967, but it is REALLY a 1968. It too has a 225 Slant Six, but it has Left Hand Steering, and is a quarter ton larger than Lorrie.

Quote:
You have a very rare vehicle and it sounds very very interesting.

There weren't many of them made. I seem to remember reading somewhere that only 3,500 of them got built at Warren.

But let me tell you a strange thing...

While Lorrie MAY be the only 1967 Dodge P200 Postal Van left, she is what I refer to as "Ms. American 3.14159's Chase Truck".

Ms. American 3.14159 is the ONLY 1964 Ford Galaxie 500, Four-Door, Hard-Top, Fast-Back, Police Interceptor the Google finds on the whole World Wide Web.

http://msamericanpi.bravehost.com/galaxie.htm

The 3.14 (as I call her) was built for the Chief of Police of Fontana, California. And whomever WROTE the order at the Fontana Ford Dealer, OR whomever READ the order at the Los Angeles Ford Factory mistakenly put a 57B Body instead of a 57E Body on a Police Interceptor Chassis, with a 330 hp, 390 ci, Solid Lifter, FE Big Block P-Code Engine, Borg Warner T85 Three Speed Transmission w/ Overdrive, 4.11:1 Differential, Kelsey Hayes Severe Service Wheels, a five Row radiator, heavy duty Suspension and Brakes, and a big Alternator.

A 57E body is a "Mayberry Special"... a plain-jane Four-Door Sedan.

A 57B body, on the other hand, is a Four-Door, Hard-Top (no B Pillar), with a slanted rear window (Fast-Back) instead of the "Box Top" which is an almost vertical Rear Window.

When the 3.14 got delivered to the Fontana Ford Dealer, the City Council, and the Mayor wouldn't let the Chief have it because it was a "luxury" body style.

My father just happened to be there aiming to buy a car, and so when the Chief, Mayor, and Councilmen went off to argue about the vehicle, my father asked the salesman how much they'd take in CASH ($100.00 bills) for the vehicle.

They said that if he'd get it out of there quickly, since they didn't want to be in the middle of an argument between the Fontana "law enforcement" and the Fontana "government", that he could have it for the price that they paid for it which was $2,671.00.

So he bought it, and drove it home to Ontario, California.

Two hours later, Fontana Ford called and said that he had to bring the vehicle back because it was a mistake, and had to be sent back to the Los Angeles Ford Factory to be disassembled.

My father refused to return it.

The gist of all this is that on one hand, there is here probably the only 1967 Dodge P200 Postal Van STILL in existence, and on the other hand, there is also here probably the ONLY 1964 Ford Galaxie 500, Four-Door, Hard-Top, Fast-Back, Police Interceptor ever built.

Quote:
Kind of wish I could find one. 8)

Well, I certainly didn't conspire to end up with a couple of VERY rare old vehicles. It just happened. I love them both. They are, along with my nine cats, the ONLY family that I have.

Lorrie and the 3.14 are FAR from perfect.

Lorrie has been modified cosmetically, but could probably be restored to original condition if someone wanted to do that.

The ORIGINAL Dash Panel is still here, but the Bumpers are long gone.

She has a Different Roof, but it was installed OVER the ORIGINAL Roof, which could be removed to get back to the stock one.

And while the sheet metal is crumpled in quite a few places, that would be easy to remedy because they are all just flat panels.

Ms. American, on the other hand is almost all ORIGINAL, with matching numbers. She has a different Water Pump, but still have the ORIGINAL Water Pump. She has a Malloroy Ignition Coil, but still have the ORIGINAL Mustard Top Ignition Coil. She has a Holley 4150 Carburetor, but there is an ORIGINAL, proper&correct Autolite 4100 Carburetor here.

http://msamericanpi.bravehost.com/galaxca.htm

She has a Crane Cam, but the ORIGINAL Cam is here.

Have been told that because she is a "more-door" that she isn't terribly valuable, but both her and Lorrie DO seem to be quite RARE.

Anyway, the immediate problem with Lorrie is the Fuel Gauge doesn't yet work properly.

And there is, of course, this NEW Timing Tab/Damper Timing Mark that need to be made in order to properly tune Lorrie's mighty 225 Slant Six Engine.

Of those two problems, probably the most pressing one is the Fuel Gauge, because Lorrie's Engine is running quite nicely at the present and doesn't NEED tuning immediately.

Am thinking about dropping the Fuel Tank again and seeing EXACTLY what the Fuel Sender is doing.

The main problem with doing that is that there is between five and ten gallons of Gasoline presently in the Tank and I'm here alone. Don't know that I could handle the weight of the Tank once the Straps are unbolted.

Am going to have to figure out how to deal with this.

So that's it for now.

Will keep you all updated.

JC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 7:37 am 
Turbo Slant 6

matv91 wrote:
76 FSM confirms.

Hey Mr. M91,
"76 FSM"?

Quote:
Hole is for timing.

But there's NOTHING under the hole!

Quote:
Timing marks on torque converter.

But there's no way to get to see the Torque Converter.

Quote:
Index on transmission housing.

There are no marks resembling any kind of "Index" on the Tranmission Housing.

Guess the only thing to do is to fabricate a NEW Timing Tab, and put a NEW Timing Mark on the Damper.

Anyway, thanks for the response and comment.

Hope you are well.

JC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 8:38 am 
Supercharged

76FSM = 1976 Factory Service Manual

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 9:32 am 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
1976 FSM? Lorrie is a 1967...

Yes BTW the fuel in tank would weigh between 40-80 lbs alone, not to mention even with baffles, not to stable to balance, it can be done but a pure pain to do with more than 5 gal or so in tank...

Cheap, Fast, Reliable.... Pick 2...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 10:10 am 
Turbo Slant 6

Reed wrote:
76FSM = 1976 Factory Service Manual

Hey Reed,
Lorrie is a 1967. Would the 1976 Factory Service Manual be relevant?

JC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 10:58 am 
Supercharged

In some ways, yes, the 1976 factory service manual is relevant to your 1967 P series van.

First, the 1976 shop manual would confirm my assertion that Dodge put the "timing window" on the transmission in vans. Lorrie might not have the timing window, but it affirms that such a window did exist in other applications.

Second, the 1976 engine, transmission, and potentially the rear axle were largely identical to the engine and transmission and rear axle used in 1967. Between 1967 and 1976, the only significant changes to the 225 cubic inch slant six engine and transmission would be the change in diameter of the torque converter hub snout and the corresponding change in diameter of the crank register for the hub snout, the camshaft was slightly more aggressive in 1976, the input shaft spline count change in 1968 on the automatic transmission, and by 1976 all slant six engines would have been equipped with a dual field alternator, solid state voltage regulator, and electronic ignition.

Internal to the motor (aside from the crank register size difference), the 1967 and 1976 slant six motors are identical (with the caveat that 1976 was the year that there was a running production change from forged crankshafts to cast crankshafts). The only difference in the automatic transmission would be the possible inclusion of a part-throttle kickdown assembly on the 1976 valve body and the input shaft spline count. Depending on what rear axle was put in Lorrie, the rear axles described in the 1976 factory service manual might be the same as what is in Lorrie.

Beyond the mechanical aspects of the engine, transmission, and rear axle, there probably isn't much information contained in a 1976 factory service manual that would be applicable to your 1967 P series van.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 11:07 am 
Turbo Slant 6

Mroldfart2u wrote:
1976 FSM? Lorrie is a 1967...

Hey Mr. OF,
BOY! Is there ever an echo in here! :)

Quote:
Yes BTW the fuel in tank would weigh between 40-80 lbs alone, not to mention even with baffles, not to stable to balance, it can be done but a pure pain to do with more than 5 gal or so in tank...

Well, would you believe that Lorrie's 20 Gallon Gas Tank is sitting on a piece of 1" thick Cellltex Foam Insulation, which is on the Driveway, just to the port of Lorrie's port side Door?

Put a couple of Cinder Blocks under each end of the Tank, then put two 2X4s on each Cinder Block which left about an inch of space between the bottom of the Tank and the top of the top 2X4.

Took the Nut off of the Bolt in the Front Strap that secures the front end of the Tank, and the Tank dropped down onto the top 2X4.

Did the same thing with the Rear Strap, and the back end of the tank dropped down onto the top 2X4.

Was able to lift one end of the tank and take out the 2X4s.

Did the same on the other end of the Tank.

Now the tank was sitting on the Cinder Blocks.

Lifted one end of the Tank and removed the Cinder Block.

Then did the same on the other end of the Tank.

Now Lorrie's Gas Tank was sitting on the Cellotex Insulation.

From there, the Tank got scooted out from under Lorrie.

So then the diagnosing of the problem began:

Hooked up the Sender Unit to the Fuel Gauge in the Dash Panel using the Steel Threaded Stud, and it WORKED!

Also tried it with the Brass Screw that came with the Sender Unit, and it too worked like a CHAMP!

So now we know it is NOT a component problem.

Next, put a 1/2" X 1/2" X 3'-0" long piece of wood into the tank till it hit bottom, and marked the piece of wood indicating the top of the Tank.

Pulled the piece of wood out of the tank, and marked where the Gasoline level is. It is just below 1/2 full (maybe nine gallons).

Put the Sender Unit over the Hole in which it fits, lined up the Mounting Screws and marked the angle at which the Float Arm (Shepherd's Crook) is in when in the Tank.

Got a wire Clothes Hanger, straightened it out and put in in the Hole at the angle at which the Float Arm would be when the Tank is full.

It reveals NO impediment/s.

There IS a baffle about two inches FURTHER, but there is no way that the Sender Unit's Float Arm could reach it.

Pivoted the Clothes Hanger DOWN in an arc (like the Float Arm would make), and there is NOTHING in the Tank that impedes the motion.

And so I am sitting here typing this post, and all of a sudden it HITS me!

There IS something that CAN impede the motion of the Float Arm.

It is THE FUEL PICK-UP TUBE!

So just now went out and checked on that, and sure enough... The Float on the end of the Float Arm is mounted in the Shepherd's Crook in such a manner and position that it couldn't get past the Fuel Pick-Up Tube.

SOLUTION: Put the Float on the OTHER side of the Float Arm!

PROBLEM SOLVED!

Now if the tank will just go back into place as easily as it came out, everything will be copacetic.

Who woulda thunk?

JC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 1:17 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Hey All,
Wednesday Mid-Afternoon Update.

Got Lorrie's Gas Tank reinstalled without help this time from my good neighbor Robert. It went right into place with the help from a small Jack that is here, only to find after the Straps were tightened in place that the Fuel Hose from the Fuel Pick-Up was pinched between the Tank and a Wheel Well Crossmember.

Had to back off the Strap Nuts, and let the Jack down a bit to get it un-pinched.

Finished tightening the Nuts and Double-Nuts and installed the Filler Pipe.

Got out from under Lorrie, and went to the Dash Panel. The Needle on the Fuel Gauge was below "E" because that's what it does when the Sending Unit is disconnected.

Turned the Run Switch ON, and the Needle on the Fuel Gauge went to just above 1/4. Am going to have to see where it sits when the Tank is full, and where it sits when the Tank is empty.

But at least, at long last, Lorrie has a functioning Fuel Level Gauge.

Whew!

Now it is on to the fabrication of the NEW Timing Tab/Damper Timing Mark.

Will get the Timing Tab done first, then get a Piston Stop Tool to find TDC, and will cut the Mark into the Damper to coincide precisely with the Timing Mark on the NEW Timing Tab.

Will keep you all updated.

JC

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 58 Next