Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:04 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 68 Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 1:25 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 76 D100
Good job! Still waiting for those pictures.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 1:51 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model: 1967 Dodge P200 Post Office Vehicle
Reed wrote:
Good job! Still waiting for those pictures.....

Hey Reed,
The JPGs of the NEW Timing Tab? Haven't got to it yet. HAD to get Lorrie's Fuel Gauge operational, and NOW am out of energy to do anything but sit and rest.

Bit will be getting to the Timing Tab tomorrow right after getting out and about for grocery shopping and some other errands.

The removal and reinstallation of the Gas Tank ended up over-doing me a little. Have to be careful about that because it sometimes puts me out of action for a couple of days.

Thanks for the compliment, and will be getting more done as soon as the energy level is back up.

Hope YOU are well.

JC

Lorrie Van Haul - 1967 Dodge - P200 Post Office Vehicle - 225 Slant Six - Torqueflite A727 Automatic Transmission - Right Hand Drive Steering - Big Three HEI System - Frantz Oil Cleaner System - Bendix Stromberg Model W Carburetor

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 1:54 pm 
Supercharged

I'm doing good, I am just a junky for pictures of cars with slant sixes.

In the meantime, here are some books you might be interested in:

67 P series owner's manual

Purported 1967 P series Factory Service Manual

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 5:00 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Reed wrote:

Hey Reed,
If you just want to look at pictures of Lorrie and Ms. American 3.14159, click here:

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll66 ... ugh_Chase/

These are all the JPGs that have been made and posted during the work that has been done on Lorrie and Ms. American.

Quote:

Haen't clicked on these yet, but will as soon as this post is sent. Would like to have a 1967 Dodge P200 Shop Manual.

Have the 1964 Ford and Mercury Shop Manual. Invaluable.

Thanks for the references.

JC

Lorrie Van Haul - 1967 Dodge - P200 Post Office Vehicle - 225 Slant Six - Torqueflite A727 Automatic Transmission - Right Hand Drive Steering - Big Three HEI System - Frantz Oil Cleaner System - Bendix Stromberg Model W Carburetor

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 5:08 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

JCAllison wrote:
Reed wrote:

Hey Reed,
If you just want to look at pictures of Lorrie and Ms. American 3.14159, click here:

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll66 ... ugh_Chase/

These are all the JPGs that have been made and posted during the work that has been done on Lorrie and Ms. American.

Quote:

Haven't clicked on these yet, but will as soon as this post is sent. Would like to have a 1967 Dodge P200 Shop Manual.

Have the 1964 Ford and Mercury Shop Manual. Invaluable.

Thanks for the references.

JC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 5:20 pm 
Supercharged

I will definitely check out those pictures. OK, I am checking them out right now. You do some very nice work and do much more component repair than most people do these days!

I can't guarantee that the shop manual is correct for your 67 P series. The auction claims the manual covers the P series from the 200 level and up, but the pictures on the cover are of a D series and an L series truck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 6:16 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Reed wrote:
I will definitely check out those pictures. OK, I am checking them out right now. You do some very nice work

Hey Reed,
There are a LOT of JPGs on the Photobucket account.

Haven't been doing many JPGs recently though. Have been concentrating more on just getting Lorrie up and running than doing the documentation thing.

Quote:
and do much more component repair than most people do these days!

That's partly because of the way I feel about getting old. I don't replace something just because it's gotten old. I don't replace anything unless it is just totally unable to do what it is supposed to do. I see people who claim to be doing restorations, when what they are doing is REALLY just replaceing old parts. That ISN'T restoration. I don't want anyone replacing me just because I'm old. And so I don't replace stuff that has earned its place by serving wherever it is for over forty years. What gets done sometimes doesn't come out looking "NEW", but sometimes it does! Still if something can still do the job, it gets put back into the system.

Quote:
I can't guarantee that the shop manual is correct for your 67 P series. The auction claims the manual covers the P series from the 200 level and up, but the pictures on the cover are of a D series and an L series truck.

I looked at the webpages. One is an "Owner's Manual". The other is a "Shop Manual Supplement". What I really need/want is the ORIGINAL "1967 Dodge Shop Manual". Mentioned previously that the "1964 Ford and Mercury Shop Manual" is here. I sometimes just read it for recreation.

It's time for some dinner and then resting for the remainder of the day. It was a GREAT day. Taking out the Gas Tank, solving the mystery of why the Fuel Gauge wouldn't work, and then getting the Tank reinstalled, was quite an orgy of activity for me.

Reed, things happen WHEN they are supposed to happen. One can't force things. Today, the Gas Gauge mystery was supposed to get solved, and it did. :)

Anyway, would you believe that I even gave my two twenty-one year old sister cats (Rochelle (Shelly) and Harlequin (Harley)) each a bath today. We have sand fleas here, and they get on the cats. I use PetCor on seven of the cats, but it can't be used on elderly felines. So I bathe the two old cats to drown the fleas. They actually enjoy being given baths. No, HONEST! :)

Hang in there.

JC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 10:12 pm 
Supercharged

Hats off to you for repairing instead of replacing. Doing repairs like that takes skills that are being lost in this country. I wish more people had the same "repair not replace" ethic as you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 5:20 am 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
Reed wrote:
Hats off to you for repairing instead of replacing. Doing repairs like that takes skills that are being lost in this country. I wish more people had the same "repair not replace" ethic as you.

AMEN!!!

Cheap, Fast, Reliable.... Pick 2...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 6:15 am 
Turbo Slant 6

Reed wrote:

Hey Reed,
Thanks for the kind words. The repairing of stuff is what the "Old Car Hobby" is REALLY about. I'm just glad that I don't have to make a living doing this. I'd starve to death.

Have to tell you about my umbrage with Chip Foose.

Back when his TV show, "OverHaulin'" first started, enjoyed the format. The "stealing" of someone's vehicle, the "fixing it up", the "pranks", and then the emotional "reveal". It was a cute concept.

But as time went on, it more and more became a matter of Foose and his crew starting to rape the poor little old vehicles that happened to have the misfortune of falling into their clutches.

The final straw came one day when they absconded with a very nice little mid '50s pick-up truck, and in the run up to doing the actual work on the vehicle, they proceeded to, without the slightest respect for the components that were still functioning competently after sixty years, showed one guy whose job it was to put in the ghetto blaster sound system, sitting on the cabin floor on the Driver's Side, where he proceeded to take off a Speaker Grille from the lower part of the Driver's Side Door, and in the most arrogant manner possible, demeaned a poor little old 10" Speaker that had been functioning its heart out for over sixty years, as if it were a piece of useless junk.

And with that, he punched his thumb through the Speaker Cone, and ripped it out of the frame.

He then proceeded to expound on how HE was going to replace it with some whoop-de-doo "digital, high-tech" piece of crap from Taiwan.

THAT was IT!

I reached for the remote, turned the TV off, and have not watched OverHaulin' since.

Have made the analogy that what Foose and his minions were doing was tantamount to a bunch of cosmetic surgeons, going around kidnapping little sixty year old ladies and giving them Breast Implants, Collagen Lip Plumps, Laser "Lifestyle" Face Lifts, dressing them in Playboy Bunnie outfits, complete with Net Stockings and Spiked Heels, and then returning them to their husbands. :)

Now this is not to say that Foose and his cohorts don't do some nice stuff, and don't have access to some really great components, but it's the total lack of respect for old cars and their years of faithful service, some still functioning after over a half a century, that just kind of pisses me off.

And the thing about all this NEW stuff that they use to replace all the OLD stuff... It won't still be function a couple of years after it gets installed.

Wouldn't let Chip Foose within a mile of either Lorrie or Ms. American.

Letting Foose and his hoard of automotive tech school graduates mess with my cars would be like letting a bunch of sex therapists gang-bang my grandmother! :)

Anyway, we now return you to our regular programming which is already in progress.

JC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 6:33 am 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
I sure am glad I am not the only one that feels the same way with "Foose Designs".. I agree he does/can do outstanding work, BUT he has also lost his way on the thinking of what the vehicle WOULD WANT.... The late model vehicles he does/has done is one thing, but to try and re-birth a 40-60 year old auto into a morph of new techno/gimick/wizardry is beyond me... 20" wheels and tires on a mid-late 60's "muscle car"???? No thanks, 20" wheels are for big trucks (semi's)..... guess i shouldnt have gotten started either... :lol: Ok back to JC and the show.....

Cheap, Fast, Reliable.... Pick 2...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 7:16 am 
Supercharged

I don't watch any car shows or read any car magazines. A waste of money and time in my opinion, mostly for the reasons you don't watch Overhaulin'. I'm not against customization, but I also don't like pointless destruction and disrespect for how things used to be built.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 11:25 am 
Turbo Slant 6

Hey All,
Thursday Afternoon Update:

The NEW Timing Tab fabrication is finished, and is presently installed on the front of Lorrie's mighty 225 Slant Six Engine.

Originally, Lorrie's NEW Timing Tab was going to be made out of an old Aluminum Sauce Pan, but as the thinking got serious, it was decided that there was a better way. Found four of the following items in the boxes and boxes of "stuff" that is stored on the shelves in the various storage here. Bet you can't guess what this thing is:

It was disassembled, and this piece was one of the parts of it that was going to be used:

The first thing that was done was to drill out the hole on the end so that one of the Bolts on Lorrie's Oil Pan would fit:

The next thing to do was to grind off the lip on the end, and cut it off in order to make it fit between the Oil Pan and the back of the Damper:

The next thing to do was to make the actual Timing Tab Blank. It was mad from a piece of 1/2" wide, 1/16" thick Aluminum, notched to fit the Bracket:

When the two pieces were mated together using an already drilled and tapped hole, it came out looking like this. This is the side of the Bracket/Tab that faces up:

This next JPG shows the OTHER side of the the Bracket and Tab:

And here is the assembly with the Tab bent so that it goes up close to the Damper:

Here is JPG taken with the Flash showing the Unit installed on the front of the Oil Pan. The little "notch will be where TDC will be marked on the Damper. The white areas on the Damper are the ORIGINAL TDC Mark, used with the ORIGINAL Timing Tab:

And here is the last JPG showing the assembly without using the Flash:

All that is left to do now is to paint the Assembly, and make the Degree Marks on it.

Then it's a matter of getting a Piston Stop Tool, ascertaining where TDC is, and putting a Mark on the Damper to coincide with the little NOTCHon the Timing Tab.

Having this Timing Tab located on the bottom of the front of Lorrie's might 225 Slant Six Engine will make adjusting the timing a much simpler procedure than using the Timing Tab that is up at 1:00 O'Clock on the front of the Engine.

It all came out pretty nicely.

JC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 11:59 am 
Supercharged

Hmmm. Looks like a mounting bracket for vertical blinds or heavy curtains. Either way, NICE WORK! I really like your solution to the timing tab problem. If you still have access to the stock timing tab, you could put a piece of cardboard next to it and copy the spacing of the stock degree indicators and then transfer it over to your new tab.

I got my piston stop tool from Jegs. I think it cost me about $8 a few years back. Check them out HERE.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 12:02 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Mroldfart2u wrote:
I sure am glad I am not the only one that feels the same way with "Foose Designs"..

Hey Mr. OF,
Chip Foose is a graduate of the Art Center School in Los Angeles. It is probably the BEST Automobile Design School anywhere. I went to school with a fellow named Gaylord Eckles, who went on to be an instructor at the Art Center School. When you see the drawings that Foose does, THAT'S what Eckles was doing at Chaffee High School Art Classes in Ontario, California back in 1956 and 1957. It's a genuine talent.

Quote:
I agree he does/can do outstanding work, BUT he has also lost his way on the thinking of what the vehicle WOULD WANT.

Have to agree. He has little respect for the OLD vehicles that they mangle in their attempt to turn out Trailer Queens.

Quote:
The late model vehicles he does/has done is one thing, but to try and re-birth a 40-60 year old auto into a morph of new techno/gimick/wizardry is beyond me...

He'll hopefully "get it" when he's older.

Quote:
20" wheels and tires on a mid-late 60's "muscle car"????

But you know what Mr. OF? The youngsters who happen to get their hands on a really nice older car do the same thing. Want to go disk brakes, air shocks, take off all the trim, paint them up with flames and scallops, never knowing how dumb it makes the poor old things look.

Quote:
No thanks, 20" wheels are for big trucks (semi's)..... guess i shouldnt have gotten started either... :lol:

Hey, letting off a little steam is good for the soul. :)

Quote:
Ok back to JC and the show.....

Well, am going to call NAPA and see if they have a Piston Stop Tool, and if they do, will have my neighbor Robert's wife Rita pick it up for me on her way home from work.

That will make it possible to get the NEW Timing Tab to being functional.

Will, of course, keep you updated.

JC

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 68 Next